2004 Chevrolet Malibu brakes problems

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments

Jun 052019

Malibu

Drivingdown the road turned on a sharp curve lost all steering went into ditch suspension bottoms out on frame electrical problems with security program

- Bitely, MI, USA

Apr 152019

Malibu

Clunking sound that you can feel in the foot pedal and when you rock steering wheel back in forth and clunking noise coming from front endin steering wheel and unable to control vehicle felling over loosing control of car

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Dec 162018

Malibu

When driving my steering wheel would become hard to turn as if I donżT have any power steering fluid while driving the car... and the odometer will stop working and then go up and down my drive control lights will stop working and below where the odometer is the numbers will turn into saying error then my car will not crank please help me with this problem

- Fort Pierce, FL, USA

Nov 242018

Malibu

Im having serious brake problems I almost had a major car accident because of my this problem. This car brakes by itself specially when I speed up to 50mph and above. And also the brake pedal wont disengage by itself when braking and the whole car stars shaking uncontrolable. And im afraid everyday more and more that I might kill myself driving this car because this is my only car I have and drive everywhere I need to go specially now that im expecting a baby boy I constantly need check ups in my clinic I go too. Most of my braking problems accured while im driving on the freeway but something I dont need to be on the freeway for alk this to happen.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Sep 022018

Malibu

My anti theft light keeps coming on I have to wait for reset of 15 minutes now it is on permanently and wont go out. Car will start and run put on hiway will it shut down everything

- Eureka, IL, USA

Mar 182017

Malibu

My airbag light stays illuminated even though I replaced the airbags. My break lights come on and off while driving without me pushing the breaks. My car for some reason wonżT come out of park at times. It's like it doesnżT know that's it's in park. This has been happening ever since I bought the car used. I looked up recalls on my type of car and there are recalls that match the description IżM saying but when I put in my VIN number it says I have 0 with my car. IżM wondering if I do have recalls on it but none that have been reported yet. Even in park my cars break lights will be illuminated and I can not pull it out of park. Also fuses burn out in my car like a circuit problems. If I turn my car off and then on to see if it registers that it's in park at times my car will make a stalling sound like it's not getting gas or something to restart the car. I would click more on affected parts but only allows 3.

- Mabank, TX, USA

Feb 012009

Malibu

Last year they had a recall for the (BCM) body control module. I've had this fixed numerous times, but when I tried to take it to the dealership, they informed me that my vehicle was not covered on the recall. I've been having this problem for years. The BCM shorts out the tail lights, causing them to remain on when the brake pedal is released. They will go off when I press on the brake to the floor. This also affects the cruise control. I know what the problem is, but they will not replace the unit.

- Tarpon Springs, FL, USA

Nov 232016

Malibu 6-cyl

"takata recall" my 2004 Malibu does not have working cruise control, my wiring is barely working as in my locks won't work, my heat we only blows cold air on defrost my defrost barely clears my windows, my T\C light is the only light that stays on all the time and I barely have traction while driving if I'm trying to accelerate getting on the highway my wheel will lock or barely move and I have to let completely off the gas to free the wheel I get any alerts on my speedometer.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Jun 022014

Malibu 6-cyl

2004 Chevrolet Malibu. Customer states that he has received three recall notices for vehicle in June 2014 and July 2014. All three noticed indicated the parts are not available and hasn't heard any response since.

- Middleton, WI, USA

Sep 202014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control), NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering), and NHTSA campaign number: 14V224000 (power train). The contact was not certain of when the part and remedy would become available to schedule the appointment for the repairs. The manufacturer was notified of the safety concern with the three recalls and the contact was still waiting for the parts to schedule the recall appointment. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Jackson, TN, USA

Sep 012014

Malibu 6-cyl

While increasing speed, the battery light and engine light come on. The power steering stops working for a few seconds and the dash lights go out. The lights go of and the power steering starts working like normal. There is still electrical power to the rest of the car (radio works, brakes work, interior lights still work, etc.) I replaced the battery and had the charging system inspected, nothing wrong with it. Alternator is good, battery is good. No shop can explain why this happens, even the Chevrolet dealer. It doesn't matter the speed I am going, it always does this. Driving on the interstate I lost power to the steering and went into the ditch to avoid an accident. The dealer states there is nothing wrong with the car, and cannot diagnose the problem. I have came close to totaling my car several times. I had my kids in the car when it lost steering on the interstate. This could have cost us our lives. I'm scared to drive this car but have to. This complaint is my last option before contacting a lawyer. I hope this can be resolved through this complaint.

- Janesville, WI, USA

Oct 012014

Malibu 6-cyl

2004 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer writes in regards to GM recall #13036* ld the consumer stated the recall fix, did not fix the problem. The consumer stated he did not know, if the brake lights worked and the cruise control rarely worked. The traction control and ABS light was on. The consumer returned to the dealer. An inspection revealed a problem was speed sensor on the right front wheel, which was not related to the recall. The cost to replace the sensor was $460.

- Pierre, SD, USA

Sep 052014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Greenville, SC, USA

May 142014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control); however, the parts needed for the repairs were unavailable. The manufacturer was notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Mineola, TX, USA

Aug 302013

Malibu 6-cyl

Lady lost control of car and hit a truck and smashed passenger side front section and air bags deployed. She did not have the money to pay the tow company so she let them have the car. I found this information on car facts online. My son lives in mo and purchased the car and I purchased the car due to the low miles on the car and now having problems getting the air bags to function properly. I also caller deery brothers Chevrolet dealership and they checked my VIN and this car does have a recall on it.

- Des Moines, IA, USA

Jun 102013

Malibu

While pulling out of a business parking lot with my mother in the vehicle, I turned the steering wheel to back out and it wouldn't turn at first. I cut the car off and restarted it once again, this tie the steering wheel turned for about half a turn and the just kept on turning with a knock every full rotation. The wheels were not moving at all.no matter how many times I restarted the car it never worked. So I was forced to block half of the parking lot until my car was flat-bedded back to my house. Previous to this incident I had experienced the wheel stiffen up at low speeds but it always went right away, I have seen countless people online posting stories about this happening to them, and I was just driving on the freeway minutes earlier and this could've happened then and been a tragedy, why has this not been recalled"???"

- Detroit, MI, USA

Oct 132010

Malibu

2004 Chevy Malibu lt 74,000 miles. I have had problems with the remote start not working. The cruise will not work all the time, bearings in steering column, check gas cap and anti theft light. It also will not start unless I give it gas. And when I take it in they find nothing. Fuel pump has been replaced and that is not the problem. I did some research and found hundreds of people with the same complaints. There needs to be a recall same yr of cars all with the same issue something is not right.

- Ladysmith, WI, USA

Aug 312010

Malibu

The electric power steering in my vehicle is faulty. The steering wheel will move by its self while driving or in park. Also my power steering will go out without warning while driving at any speed. When the steering wheel locks up due to power steering I have a very hard time turning and controlling car. I have barely avoid several accidents because of this issue. I have taken car to dealership to see if can be fixed because when I called GM I was not eligible for the warranty that would have fixed issue but because it was past their recall time they would not assist me and the dealer wants $800 to fix and they say that even fixing the steering column and or the assist motor that I will more then likely have the same issues! my car is a 2004 with only 44,462 miles on it. I got the car used February of this year (2010) and didn't know that it would be a nightmare and a death trap for my family! I have video of the wheel moving by its self as well as video showing that when I loss power steering the car is hazardous. I am really afraid that I will not be able to keep up with this issue and will one day loss complete control of the car and hurt myself and possibly others! Chevrolet needs to fix this issue for good or replace the cars all together because its really only a matter of time before this issue bites them in the butt! I really like my Malibu but I really think that I should have never got it because of all the issues losing power steering, pulls bad to left and right, loose shifter knob, & the remote keyless entry doesn't work right. I hope by filing this complaint with you that maybe it will be resolved. I want to have piece of mind while driving my family in car not worried about the car being a death trap on 4 wheels that will loss control when it feels like it and kill my family and myself. I know that I am not the only one with these issues with the Malibu and Chevrolet really needs to step up and make these issues right for us the consumers fast!

- Columbus, OH, USA