2013 Chevrolet Traverse brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Chevrolet Traverse:

2013 Chevrolet Traverse Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 062019

Traverse

I was driving on the highway and all of my dash gauges started to fluctuate, my traction control light came on, I started to loose speed when I pressed on the accelerator, when I finally made it home my back up camera would not come on and I heard clicking coming from the fuse box.

- St.Louis, MO, USA

Jun 032019

Traverse

Our Traverse has had this problem mainly on the highway but it has also happened on our gravel road going 30 mph. The Traverse will all of a sudden display "engine power is reduced, it will say service traction control, service stabilitrak, traction control off." During one of the times, it happened the steering column also locked up. The engine shakes enough that it makes the muffler shake when this happens. The dealership claimed they found a memo from GM on how to solve the problem. We just spent $690 to get a new fuse block and terminal installed. Supposedly there had been water damage/corrosion. Our Traverse has never been submerged in water. This problem is very dangerous and Chevrolet needs to be held responsible. Having our vehicle all of a sudden reduce power has lead to several almost accidents, especially when the steering also locked. This problem is very similar to a problem described in recall 14515 which did include 2009-2014 Traverses. According to Chevrolet my VIN is not part of that recall. I think this issue is similar to the recall but different.

- Silex, MO, USA

Jun 142019

Traverse

Since buying this car in 2017 it's been nothing but issues. I have a 2013 Chevy Traverse. While driving often at highway speeds the car will lose engine power and the traction control shuts off and the car starts shaking. I then pull over and wait a few mins and it starts back up. Been taken to dealership several times to be told it might be the fuse box but it's not covered under warranty so its gonna cost $600. All over the car sites online people reporting this same problem with fuse boxes from 2009-2014 Traverse. Why has this not been recalled"???" I have 3 small kids and I am terrified to put them in the car and it's not worth it financially to trade it nor an option at this point. This happens at random. Today it wouldn't start back up and had to be towed. Was doing 70mph on my way to work in rush hour traffic!!!!

- Kansas City, KS, USA

Jun 062019

Traverse

I was at a stop getting on freeway with heavy traffic went to push gas pedal vehicle immediately started shaking and check engine light went on and warnings saying "service stabilitrak" "engine power decreased" " traction control off" it only let me go up to 20 miles as hour as it was still shaking I pulled over and turned it off. The warnings weren't coming up no more and vehicle drived normal but check engine light stayed on.

- Hemet, CA, USA

Aug 042018

Traverse

Driving the Traverse on the freeway and it cuts out, the steering wheel locks, making it hard to steer. Endangering everyone in the vehicle. Other cars are coming at high speed and this one does with no warning. Other times it protects a reaction control check stabilise message and reduces engine power, greatly reducing speed you are going.

- Baker, LA, USA

Apr 302019

Traverse

While driving on a busy highway and without warning my 2013 Traverse started to loose power. This was very dangerous and quite scary as I almost got rear ended by cars behind me as my vehicle almost slowed down to a complete stop on the highway. The ┐traction control is off┐ llight came on - followed by the 'stabilitrak┐, ┐loss of engine power┐ and 'service traction control┐. I made it to an hwy exit at about 5 mph. Thankfully, I was able to find a safe place on the side of the road before my car engine started to shake and then cut off. I had to get a tow to the Chevy dealership service. This suvhas had a number of issues from the time I purchased the vehicle. The first issue is loss of power during acceleration, which the dealership has continued to dismiss. I have also had issues with the air bags, transmission, seatbelts and power steering. The power steering and transmission were recently ┐repaired┐ this past year, but I have continued to have issues with both of those systems.

- Hayward, CA, USA

Mar 172019

Traverse

2013 Chevy Traverse w/ 126K miles: While driving 65mph on the freeway the entire car shut off. Everything went black, and I couldn't depress brakes, or turn the steering wheel to move to the shoulder. Within 20 sec the car started back up and went into limp mode and I was able to make it to a gas station. Check engine light, traction control off, park assist off, engine power reduced and service stabilitrak all came on. When I disconnected the battery, or pulled fuses to reset ECM, the car would start just fine. Though it would happen again within another 20 mile or sometimes it would be a day or two, but would replicate the problem. I was told by two Chevy dealerships that there was nothing wrong, but apparently ther is something wrong and it needs to be recalled and address before deaths occur because of the issue. There are many posts and forums about this situation from other Traverse owners of the same year.

- Apple Valley, MN, USA

Feb 112019

Traverse

#1 = traveling on highway approx. 65 car shut down no power, coasted to side of highway, restarted 10 min. Later. #2 = shut off car in driveway it kept running. #3 = all warning light came on and radio wouldn┐T work. Afraid to put grand kids in car.

- N.Billerica, MA, USA

Feb 112019

Traverse

The engine loses power as you drive a normal speed it just stops it flashes engine power is reduced, service traction control, service stabiltrak. I don't know what it mean but when you get it to the dealer these codes don't come up they can't find these things wrong. In the mean time I've been nearly rear ended on the highway causes my car just stops and I have to be towed cause sometimes she starts again sometimes she don't. I'm afraid to drive it because I don't know what to expect that's my transportation to and from the doctor being disabled. Please look into this I'm sure I'm not the first complaint. Chevy needs to recall before someone dies because you're traveling at a speed of 50-55 miles per hour and your car just stop the cars behind you will rear end you and end up in your back seat gas tank explodes. Your family in the car. I hope you all see the picture. This happened 4 times on the highway and a few times on the local streets.

- Cambria Heights, NY, USA

Oct 262018

Traverse

2013 Chevy Traverse w/ 120K miles: While driving 75mph on the freeway the entire car shut off. Everything went black, and I couldn┐T depress brakes, or turn the steering wheel to move to the shoulder. I panicked as I was in the middle of the desert with my 5 year old. Unacceptable! within minutes the car came back and went into limp mode and I was able to make it to a gas station. Check engine light, traction control service, park assist off, and stability control service all came on. Pulled codes and they were all transmission control module codes. When I disconnected the battery, the car would start just fine but would replicate the problem if I drive it beyond a mile. Was told the tranny needed to be replaced ($3000). I had my uncle, a 25+year experienced mechanic, look at it and said the tranny was fine and believes it is electrical and one of the control modules must not be communicating properly. His exact words were ┐this car is possessed, it is doing the weirdest stuff┐. it can┐T be the tranny because if it were it wouldn┐T just come back to life on its own without repair. There are a plethora of complaints online concerning this exact same issue, yet no recall or investigation whatsoever. We replaced the alternator twice in 4 months as well due to failure. Voltage gauge is constantly jumping from 12V to 16V. The rear controls to the A/C dials are extremely hot to the touch as well. It's very strange. Every mechanic friend that has worked on it says ┐get rid of it because they┐re the worst cars┐ and they see nothing but problems. Conveniently, it happens just outside of the warranty period. Unfortunately we still owe 15K on it. Shame on GM for ignoring these major issues for the sake of doing major repairs on so many affected vehicles.

- Queen Creek, AZ, USA

Jan 222019

Traverse

The contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Traverse. While driving 70 mph, the stability control and check engine warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle stalled and was able to coast to the side of the road. The vehicle was towed to jack schmitt Chevrolet of O'fallon (127 regency park, O'fallon, il 62269, (618) 509-9727) where it was diagnosed that the engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired due to the repair fees. The manufacturer was notified and opened case number: 95005433257. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000.

- Belleville, IL, USA

Aug 202017

Traverse

Takata recall, my airbag light comes on and goes off whenever it wants. Sometimes it with come on and stay on for days to months at a time, I took it back to the Chevy dealership where I purchased it from. I paid for the diagnostic and for them to fix it and it stood off for a few weeks and came back on and when I called and told them that my airbag light came back on they to me to make an appointment to get a 3rd diagnostic and for me to paid again I refused and I am just dealing with the light coming and going off on its own. I have to hold my key in the ignition in the forward position being cranked for about 4-5sec just for my SUV to turn on and asked the dealership why and they couldn't give me an answer and just shrugged there shoulders with no answers. And when I put my give my SUV a little bit of throttle it hesitates a bit and when I happen to floor it being stuck in the snow it studder and hesitated for about a sec or two before it reacted

- Niagara Falls, NY, USA

Dec 292018

Traverse

Takata recall, it cuts off while I was driving twice, it shuts off with out any notice.

- Goose Creek, SC, USA

Dec 272018

Traverse

The engine without warning went into reduced power mode and would not let me go past 30 miles an hour. It then flashed reduced power, stable track, and traction control. Very unsafe on a busy highway when driving and on a busy street to just lose power.

- Benton, WI, USA

Sep 202018

Traverse

Driving to work like any other day. All of a sudden service traction control stabilitrack and reduced engine power comes on. Luckily not heavy traffic. Boyfriend came to take it to the shop and it wouldn't even crank up. Seeing all these complaints I really hope this isn't a costly issue because a lawyer will be contacted to get to the bottom of these issues with this and all parties will be reimbursed for this! I had to leave work early to take care of just getting my car somewhere for it to be looked at and not a happy person!

- Heath Springs, SC, USA

Jul 162018

Traverse

Vehicle randomly indicates service traction control, engine powering down, service stabilitrack. Vehicle then shuts down. It has happened several times without any warning. The check engine light will come on and then it will go back off.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Jul 022018

Traverse

I was driving to work like any other day. As I was about ten minutes away from my work. My Traverse suddenly started to shake. And then the check engine light came on and engine power reduce, service stabilitrak, traction control off popped up on my dash board. I went from 70 mph to under 20 mph with in seconds. Thank god it was not so much traffic because I probably would not be here typing up my complaint about my car. There is even a Chevy forum that I found, where multiple people have had the same exact issue. www.traverseforum.com here is the website where I have found multiple complaints of the Chevy Traverse and other Chevy models. Hope someone can do somethig before someone gets in a horrific traffic accident or even causes death to someone.

- Marysville, CA, USA

Apr 162018

Traverse

Driving on the highway. The headlight bulb burnt while driving on the highway. This could have been more serious then it was if I would not have been warned by a passing motorist.

- Mableton, GA, USA

May 092018

Traverse

On all occasions, my car was in motion on major city streets and side roads and my driving speeds ranged from 25mph to 55mph. The following messages flash across the dashboard: Traction control off, engine power is reduced, service traction control, service stabilitrak. The check engine light comes on with the stabilitrak icon. My speed was thrown down to the range of 10mph to 40mph. The entire car began shaking and the exhaust pipe was giving loud "puffing" sounds. This happened several times, but the third time, I was not able to restart my car. I had it towed to the dealership I bought it from. After having it for a month, they were unable to find the issue, therefore nothing was fixed, and I was told "let us know if it happens again." Wow!...and it happened again months later - again three separate times! again, the dealership said they received no "error messages" for that issue, only for my car alarm being faulty. Good grief! had I been on a freeway during one of these occurrences, I would have been rear-ended and into a bad accident; but "we'll just see if it happens again!" I offered the dealership video and pictures as proof of the issue, but nothing has yet been done. I have a video that lasts 1min and 11 seconds, but its too large for me to upload (even when I shorten it down to a minimum 25seconds to get the gist of the issue).

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Sep 172017

Traverse

While driving on freeway traction control off light came on the engine speed reduced came on and car immediately went from 60 mph to 15-20 causing me to spin out and lose control on freeway and eventually slammed into side of road, (managed to drive home going about 15 mph at 1:00 in the morning)bending my axle and the next day on the news it was reported cars with onstar were hacked. Next morning no light was on in the car and able to drive with bent axle. Repairs completed and my insurance rates were increased. One year later light came on again traction control off then engine speed reduced and car went from 40 to 15 (luckily I just got off freeway going to work) on surface street and managed to make it to work. Called Chevrolet dealer and was told many different things. Was told that particular light comes on when anything goes wrong with the car to prevent further damage to "the car" but put lives at risk. Checked the Chevrolet forum and this happens quite often and people say get rid of it as soon as possible and don't use it as a family car because it can stall on the highway. This feature should be removed from all vehicles. I was told there was a private recall on the 2011 equinox throttle body, shame on Chevrolet, shame on onstar!

- Victorville, CA, USA