- December 3: Ford Recalls Bronco Sports and Escapes For Brake Issues recalls | 5 days ago
- November 25: Ford Edge Lawsuit Dismissed Over EcoBoost Flexplates news | 13 days ago
- November 8: Ford F-150 10-Speed Transmission Lawsuit Moves Forward news | 30 days ago
- October 26: Ford Bronco Sport Moonroofs May Fly Away recalls | 43 days ago
- October 22: Ford Ranger SuperCabs Recalled For Seat Belt Issues recalls | 47 days ago
Hatch Back Would Not Close, Light Always On
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2003 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 94,500 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 2 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- replace entire door and window (2 reports)
body / paint problem