- September 24: Ford Shifter Bushing Recall Class Action Lawsuit Dismissed news | 4 days ago
- September 23: Ford EcoSport Engine and Oil Pump Problems Investigated investigations | 5 days ago
- September 19: Ford Focus Recall Investigated For Canister Purge Valves investigations | 9 days ago
- September 15: Ford Transmission Recall Includes E-350, F-650 and F-750 recalls | 13 days ago
- September 5: Ford Truck Fuel Pump Problems Lead to Class Action Lawsuit news | 23 days ago
Retractor Not Working Properly
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2005 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- No data
- Average Mileage:
- 51,100 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 7 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (7 reports)
seat belts / air bags problem