CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure & problems with the stereo backlight failing. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The stereo backlight problem has been an issue ever since these Accords were only a few years old. Honda eventually issued a recall which covered the repair for 7 years/100k miles, which was nice while it lasted but now that period is over. Honda initially replaced the entire radio ($800) but eventually began replacing just the PCB which at ~$300 is much cheaper. That sounds like a deal, but keep in mind we're talking about a backlight bulb that costs $2 to fix in most other cars.

8.3

$3,700.00

1. have the car repainted (51 reports)
  3. repaint (5 reports)
2004 Honda Accord body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Honda Accord:

2004 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Jan 012015

Accord LX 4 cyl

Bought the car used in June 2012 with no paint problems. Kept the car washed and cleaned on a regular basis, but paint started peeling first of this year. Other than the paint, it is a solid car that gets great gas mileage and is very dependable.

- , Murphy, NC, USA

May 312014

Accord

Anybody have any suggestions? Will Honda cover any of the expense since quite evident that their primer failed?

- , Farmington, AR, USA

Apr 062010

Accord EX V6

My Honda is in great running condition and in the inside like new. But the outside paint job is AWFUL l. My Red Honda looks like a clunker and I paid a lot for it. Looking at it it looks like I don't take care of it. The paint has blistered and peeling off on the roof and all over. I had a teal green 1989 Honda Accord for 14 years and the paint never peeled, blistered nothing like the red Honda. I think Honda should warranty a new paint job and not say its normal wear and tear when it is not. If you noticed there are a lot of red Honda's with this same problem.

It took me this long to file a complaint as I didn't know about this website.

- , Vacaville, CA, USA

Jan 232012

click to see larger images

This is in regards to the paint problems. Garage kept, professionally washed, passionately maintained. This vehicle still managed to receive paint peelings and fading. I want my recall fixed!

- , Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jul 172013

Accord EXL 2.4L

MY PAINT HAS BEEN FADING AND PEELING FOR TWO YEARS...I THINK THEY SHOULD FIX THIS AND REPAINT MY CAR!!!

- , Marshall, AR, USA

Oct 012014

Accord EX

Looks like a clunker. What bad advertising! We won't buy another.

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Jun 112014

Accord LX 2.4L

I love my 04 Honda Accord but the paint and clear coat has and is peeling and fading. You would think as much as I paid for it that the paint would last longer. You would think that Honda would have a recall for the paint job. Honda's are built to last and the paint and clear coat should also last, but isn't. If there is any way to resolve this paint issue please someone contact me ASAP. If there is a Class Action Lawsuit for the paint on the Honda, please add my Honda to this list. I just want my Honda painted so it will look the way it drives.

- , Hemingway, SC, USA

Nov 142014

Accord EX V6

CLEAR COAT STARTED TO PEEL ON THE ROOF AND TRUNK AROUND 100,000. SEEMS LIKE JUST AFTER I SPENT OVER $1,000 FOR A NEW TIMING CHAIN AND WATER PUMP, $1,000 MORE FOR EXHAUST PROBLEMS AND STEERING PUMP. EACH TIME I WAS REMINDED HOW IT WAS WORTH PUTTING MONEY INTO THE 10 YEAR OLD CAR BECAUSE IT WOULD EASILY LAST ANOTHER 100,000 MILES.

WHEN I ASKED THE DEALER TO PUT IN A CLAIM, AND SHOWED HIM THE CLASS ACTION MATERIAL WITH A PICTURE OF MY EXACT MAKE AND MODEL, HE TOOK PICTURES AND "SENT IT IN TO CORPORATE". AFTER A COUPLE OF MONTHS I GOT A MESSAGE THAT FOR $2,200 THEY WOULD PAINT THE CAR. THIS IS THEIR DEFECT AND THEY EXPECT ME TO PAY FOR IT. IT IS JUST WRONG.

THEY ALSO ALLEGED THIS WAS A CIVIC PROBLEM. WELL IT WAS AND IN ONE MINUTE OF INTERNET SEARCH YOU WILL EASILY SEE IT IS MORE THAN THAT.

NOW THE TRADE IN VALUE WILL BE NOTHING. THE LOOKS OF THE CAR WILL BE RUINED. I WAS ROBBED OF MY INVESTMENT.

- , Natick, MA, USA

Jan 012014

Accord V6

The clear coat on my 2004 Honda Accord is failing. Keep in mind this car has been in a garage from the time I bought it new, Jan 2004. When I went to the dealer where I bought it they immediately said "NO", not even a sorry!

When I went to get an estimate on a repaint, the auto body guy said he sees a lot of this on the Honda Accords and there was a class action suit. But the dealer had "NO" knowledge of it. Can I say "BULLSHIT!" Does anyone out there know about the class action suit or warranty on the seal coat failure?

- , Nampa, ID, USA

Sep 172014

Accord EX V6

Honda refuses to assist with what is apparently a known issue.

- , Woodbridge, VA, USA

Jan 012012

Accord LX V6

Paint job has complely deteriated, even after years in the garage.

- , Tracy, CA, USA

Aug 012012

Accord V6

I love my Honda but the paint is unsightly - I intend to keep my Honda another few years so I will have to pay out of pocket to fix the peeling paint that gets progressively worse. I've mentioned it to the dealer service technicians but the dealership hasn't offered to re-paint. I have not yet contacted Honda directly but will do so upon learning of the paint recall on Civics....presumably the paint is identical to what is on my Accord, why is this not under recall as well?

- , Germantown, MD, USA

Jan 012007

Accord EX 2.4L L4

I just actually found out last year about Honda's defective paint problems last year when I parked next to another exact car/model/black with same problem. When I spoke with the owner they told me about the defective paint problem. I have been told for years from local Honda's dealers it was due to tree sap or just normal for age of vehicle. I contacted local Honda dealer and then the main company and informed basically nothing could be done by Honda. Only the Civic was being repainted for free due to defective paint.

- , Tampa, FL, USA

Jul 182014

Accord EX 3.0L V6

2004 Honda Accord EX, 3.0, 76,000 miles. Clear coat paint is starting to peal on hood, roof and truck. Car is meticulously maintained and was garaged for the first 5 years of it's life.

I recognized this problem because my daughter had the same issue with her 2003 Accord when it was 4 years old. The Honda rep said the car was repainted and there was nothing Honda would do because it was out of warranty. I knew it was the original paint and when we had the car repainted a year later (it was in awful condition, hood roof and trunk badly pealing) the body shop confirmed that it was NOT repainted.

I've seen many Honda's with pealing clear coats. Honda has a major problem that they refuse to address. Don't they realize that their reputation is at stake when people see Honda's on the road with this problem?

As for me and my family, we will not be purchasing another Honda now or in the future

- , Youngsville, NC, USA

Jan 012008

click to see larger images

Just very frustrated that this dark paint problem is clearly a Honda paint problem and they do nothing about it. My family has purchased several Hondas (at least 5) and I don't think it's right to not fix problems on vehicles that you clearly cut corners on. I want my car repainted before I trade it in to upgrade from my Accord to a larger more family style vehicle. However, if Honda doesn't fix this I will not be upgrading with them. They will have officially lost my business.

- , Rancho Santa Margarita, CA, US

Jan 012010

Accord Limited V6

We have had it looked at by Rousch Honda in Columbus Ohio and I was told they would not help. I went to Roush Honda in 2010 for repairs from wreck in the front quarter panel. When finished, the paint did not match the rest of the paint on the car. I complained to the manager, he said basically too bad.

A year to the month later, the quarter panel started to come off, a screw broke. I called Roush Honda again, they said it was only a year warranty. Too Bad! We purchased this car new and have taken care of it, so the engine and interior are in great order. The body is a mess. It is embarrassing to drive. We have purchased many cars since we purchased this one (have two sons) and I would NEVER buy another Honda.

- , Etna, OH, USA

Aug 252013

Accord LX

This peeling clear coat is too wide spread for Honda to not be responsible for repairs. The paint on a car is critical to car value and structural integrity. Almost every Honda Accord I see has this condition. Why has Honda been allowed to ignore their responsibility?

- , Huntsville, AL, USA

Dec 262012

Accord LX Lx V6

click to see larger images

clear coat started to peel clear coat started to peel clear coat started to peel clear coat started to peel clear coat started to peel clear coat started to peel

No, I don't think it's right that Hondas have a paint problem with the top coat on everybody's Civics, and Odysseys. They have this problem and nobody cares about doing anything about it. These are beautiful cars and with this problem, they look like trash. I can understand that nobody wants to paint everybody's car over but you could try to come up wit a good fix where it won't look like garbage.

COME ON,

DO SOMETHING11

RICK THOMAS

- , Memphis, TN, USA

Feb 032012

Accord EX I-Vet 2.4L Dohc

My paint on my 2004 accord is peeling and looks horrible. I am embarrassed to be seen in a parking lot or by people I meet for the first time and this is an everyday thing. This has really dampened my self-esteem and self view point. And none of this my fault, it is all on my car and the Honda manufacture.

- , Macon, GA, USA

Jan 012008

Accord EX 4cl

I have a great mechanically sound 2004 Honda Accord at 200K+ miles...that has a crappy paint job! This started in 2008, 4 years after car purchased NEW and has escalated at a rate that makes the car look worthless. I started to take notice that basically every older Honda I see, no matter what model, the paint job is coming off. I believe Honda needs to do a recall on all models from late 90's-2010 and do the right thing by giving new paint jobs. Honda has a reputation they should want to keep, especially with the thick competition with KIA and Hyundai being so evident. This is my 3rd Honda but is most likely my last as well. Come on Honda, do the right thing.

- , McDonough, GA, USA