CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure & problems with the stereo backlight failing. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The stereo backlight problem has been an issue ever since these Accords were only a few years old. Honda eventually issued a recall which covered the repair for 7 years/100k miles, which was nice while it lasted but now that period is over. Honda initially replaced the entire radio ($800) but eventually began replacing just the PCB which at ~$300 is much cheaper. That sounds like a deal, but keep in mind we're talking about a backlight bulb that costs $2 to fix in most other cars.

8.3

$3,700.00

1. have the car repainted (51 reports)
  3. repaint (5 reports)
2004 Honda Accord body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Honda Accord:

2004 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Aug 152012

Accord EX

I FEEL MY CAR'S PAINT IS A DEFECT BECAUSE I ONLY HAVE 50,00 MILES ON MY CAR AND IT ONLY HAD 40,000 WHEN IT STARTED, THE CLEAR COAT IS PEELING FAST. I THINK MY CAR IS IN VERY GOOD CONDITION BUT THE OUTSIDE MAKES IT LOOK LIKE JUNK, HONDA'S OLDER THAN MINE DON'T HAVE PAINT PEELING, MY CAR IS A 2004.

- , fairmont, WV, USA

May 052014

Accord EX V6

No sense in repeating what I have already read all over the Internet. The paint on my 2004 Accord looks disgraceful and I am hopeful the dealership where I bought both of the Hondas I own will assist me with the repaint of the Accord.

- , Torrance, CA, USA

Apr 242014

Accord EX V6

I love this car. However, I am pissed at the fact that the paint is peeling off my rear spoiler. Honda really disappointed me on the cheap clear coat. My car is 10 years old and only has 62k miles on it. This car was mint, until the paint started to peel.

- , Dover, DE, USA

Mar 022010

Accord EX V6

I've noticed how horrible the roof of my car has gotten.. Pretty much all the clear coat is gone and I'm down to the base paint. I did some Google search to see if Honda had gotten this problem.. Well, surprise, surprise.. seems like everyone that owns a Honda has horrible paint problems. Hint, hint. I went to Honda.com to see if there was a recall on this, and to my surprise there wasn't any.. only on my power steering.

So I called, talked to a rep, and of course they said that it wasn't covered.. I said that it was funny because, Honda Odyssey vans that have dark paint jobs, and that are within the same year range as mine are getting a recall and they are getting their warranty extended! so why am I left out??! I mean, I know people with Civics, and Accords that are having the same damn problem. Why are you only looking out for soccer moms Honda?!?! Very bad business. This would be my first and last Honda needless to say. Screw Honda and their cheap clear coat.

- , Miami, FL, USA

Mar 042014

Accord EX-L V6

click to see larger images

clear coat started to peel clear coat started to peel

Have appealed to Honda through my local dealer for a repaint Even offered to meet them half way, hopefully they will come through. Other than the paint issue it has been a great car.

Update from Mar 17, 2014: Got a call from the dealership and Honda has declined to support a repair due to age and milage. I even offered to meet them halfway. So now I have a perfectly good car with terrible paint.

- , Crowley, TX, USA

Nov 012012

Accord LX 3.2L

My 2004 black Honda Accord clearcoat/paint is chipping away. I have large spots all over my car where the clear coat/paint is now gone and also patches that will be affected next.

Honda recalled odyssey and Civics but not the Accords. The car looks like it is 30 years old.

Discussed with local and national Honda today. Told me they felt my pain but they were going to do anything about it.

Very sad. I will never buy a Honda again. I've had one for over 30 years. In my research, I found out that my year has a terrible transmission and fails frequently after 100K miles. Guess Honda joined the ranks of the other car companies that put out products that fail like this.

- , Westminster, CO, USA

Nov 052012

Accord 2D SD 2.4L

clear coat started to peel

the car is in great shape. the paint peeling on the roof and the car look like hell

- , newburgh, NY, USA

Jun 122011

Accord EX 4.2L

I purchased this car in 2007 and it was in mint condition. The car has 81,000 miles and has been well taken care of inside and out.

But last year the clear coat started to peel in a few small spots and has progressively gotten worse. It's peeling on the roof,trunk, hood, fender and all 4 doors!!!!!! When I took it to the Honda dealership where I bought it they gave me an estimate of$ 6,175.00 to strip and repaint the car at my expense.They said the peeling was an environment issue that Indiana has.....

I feel Honda should pay for this repainting as the clear coating is obviously defective and by reading the other complaints I see several people have had similar problems with Honda's red paint. So I'm hoping they live up to their stellar reputation and do the right thing with my issue...I will be patiently waiting for a reply.

- , Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jul 012012

Accord ES 3.2L

You buy your children dependable affordable first cars, i went with a Honda not knowing that even though the car is good for 300K miles that the Paint would only last 8yrs and you would be driving an ugly looking piece of sh*t for the next 5yrs while she attends collage. I will never buy another Honda if they will not stand behind their product! Purchased a Toyota for my son after Honda dealership told me thats normal wear due to Texas heat.

- , Keller, TX, USA

Jan 012010

Accord EX V6

Looks horrible. Would like to have repainted but can't afford. Estimated cost is$1800.

- , Smyrna, GA, US

Nov 082011

Accord EX V4

click to see larger images

clear coat started to peel clear coat started to peel clear coat started to peel clear coat started to peel

I paid clot of money for a car that I will be able to drive till the wheels fall off. It is pathetic that Honda will not stand behind their paint jobs. I have talked to so many people that have the same issue and they say they will never buy a Honda again because if this. I feel the same way. I paid a lot for this car and expect the clear coat to say on it. I am embarrassed to drive this car.

- , Newton, NC, US

Mar 012012

Accord EX-L V6

For a little over a year now, I have noticed the paint and clear coat peeling from my 2004 Honda Accord EX-L V6. The problem is getting considerably worse, so I contacted Honda directly and was informed that it is not covered under warranty.

I explained to the customer service representative that I have purchased 4 new Honda's since 1993 and have always cared for them very carefully, hand washing and hand waxing the vehicles. The customer service representative said they would consider a resolution and asked that I take it to my local dealer here in Durham NC. I did so, and they sent it to the body shop that they use and got an estimate for over $2700 to repaint the vehicle due to defective factory paint. Honda called me back a few days later and offered me $700 after the vehicle was repainted. I explained to the representative that this was not reasonable and told her that I was standing to lose $2000 or more in value whether or not I pay to repaint it or sell it for a loss.

I am very disappointed in the offer from Honda and I feel like they are not standing behind their product. I told Honda that I would be willing to pay $500 towards the paint job and they would not offer any more than $700. I felt that this was a reasonable offer that I pay a small portion since I am only responsible for the age of the vehicle and not the defective paint. I even asked if they would give me a larger credit voucher towards our next new Honda vehicle purchase and they declined and would only offer an accessory up to $700 in value.

We had all but decided to purchase a 2013 Honda Accord EX-L this year, but now must look closely at other vehicle manufacturers due to Honda not standing behind their product and doing the right thing for their customers. I can't believe that Honda is going to let $1500 stand in the way of our loyalty, dedication to Honda, and future business. Are there any attorney's willing to take this and other cases into a class action lawsuit against Honda? There is a similar class action lawsuit pending in California at this point in time, but not sure if the attorney is going to proceed.

- , Durham, NC, USA

Feb 122011

Accord LX V6

When I noticed the clear coat problem it seemed very slight. It started as what I believed to be bird droppings on the roof of the car, on the trunk it looked like dry water, but than to find out it was the clear coat destroying the body of my loved Honda I was very disappointing. By the end of the summer of 2011 it was much worse. I went to the Honda dealership to see if they would repair the damages, after discussing with their district manager, "they said considering the life of the car the would not pay for the damage," However, they gave me an estimate for $1,000.00, to just paint the roof top. At this point I was angry and placed Honda on my boycott list. I figured driving my car with horrible paint is the worse advertisement for Honda. In addition I am a school teacher and have 160 new students a year. When economics and cars come up I do describe my ordeal to my students describing the lack of customer service and the bad paint. So, when they go out to buy their first cars and may be considering Hondas they may not buy the car. If they each tell 5 people a year that is over 500 people a year and it continues. With the message out there about bad paint on Hondas my future consumers will notice all of the HOndas on the road with bad paint and probably will not buy one. Luckily for me there are many Hondas with bad paint. So, I will like to paint the car this year but I have to budget for that.

- , San Jose, CA, USA

Dec 192012

Accord EX

I am very upset with America Honda Finance Corp. I have a 2004 Honda Accord that the clear coat on the panel above the windshield is faded and has no paint and the truck also is starting to fade. Yes my car has 200,000 miles but they stated to me that there is nothing they can do. Is there not alot of people having the same issue and if so how are they getting it resolved. They told me it was 120,000 over the warranty and was very rude. I took the car to a body shop and the paint repair since he is going to have to sand it down because trust me its almost there , The price was 750.00 What are your thoughts and suggestions?

- , Fort Mill, SC, USA

Dec 012011

Accord EX 3.0L V6

I bought my car right out of the showroom in August 2004, on my birthday! Now, 8 years later, the paint is peeling with white blotches, looks like the car has been stained. I was told it would cost up to $10,000 to repair since the car has to be completely sanded down and repainted. I believe Honda needs to pay for the repair. Is there a Class Action lawsuit in CT that I can join?

- , Trumbull, CT, US

Sep 032012

Accord 3.0L

I've seen many hondas around town with the same paint fade and clear coat problem. looks terrible.

- , Springfield, OH, US

Apr 012009

Accord LX

clear coat started to peel

The clear coat started fading on the trunk of the car in the spring of '09 and has since become widespread over the whole car. It looks horrible.

I took it to the Honda dealer after some time (forget exact date), and Honda was not willing to repair.

This is something I see regularly on Hondas and have seen similar complaints online from many people.

- , Powell, OH, USA

May 102010

Accord ES V6

I waxed the car monthly which made the black paint look beautiful.

The paint peeling started in 2010.

It began at the rear of the roof by the back window. Initially the problem appeared as a white oxidizing condition. But in the following month the sealer coat began too peel quickly. It spread to the hood and to the trunk cover.

The car is a 2004 Honda Accord, in excellent condition mechanically and the interior is perfect.

Now the car looks terrible and the peeling continues.

- , South Pasadena, CA, USA

Mar 142012

Accord EX 3'2L

I was very disappointed with honda accord for putting out vehicles with sloppy paint jobs that are hurting owners.. I cannot afford to continue paying a car note and at the same time come up with three thousand dollars on the side to have my car repainted. The roof and the trunk are in very bad shape as paint continue to peel. Honda stated that the paint wasn't defected leaving me hanging with a lousy paint job. HONDA HAS LOST MY LOYALTY

- , Pattison, MS, USA

Dec 152010

Accord EX V4

THE CLEAR COAT IS PEELING OFF VERY BAD NOW. I HAVE 50,000 MILES ON MY CAR AND ON THE ROOF OF THE CAR IT IS STARTING TO PEEL AND THE BUMPER. THE SIDE MIRRORS ARE HORRIBLE ALSO. I TOOK THE CAR TO HONDA AND THEY SAID IT WAS NORMAL WEAR AND TEAR.. THEY SAID SORRY THEY COULD NOT HELP ME. CLEAR COAT PEELING OFF MY CAR IS NOT NORMAL WEAR AND TEAR AND FOR ONLY HAVING 50,000 MILES ON MY CAR THIS IS WRONG NOT TO REPAINT MY CAR! I DON'T CARE HOW OLD MY CAR IS. THE CAR ITSELF LOOKS BRAND NEW EXCEPT FOR THE CLEAR COAT PEELING OFF. I THOUGHT BUYING A HONDA WAS A GOOD IDEA BECAUSE I WAS TOLD AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE THAT HONDA STOOD BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS. WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Tamarac, FL, USA