ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2013-2014 Honda Accord is showing signs of an electrical problem with the starter failing soon after the 36K mile warranty expires. It's compounded by reports that the OEM battery doesn't have sufficient amps to start the V6 reliably after a year or two.

For now we are rating this problem with the "Beware" seal because it's occurring so soon after the 36K mile warranty expires. The upshot is when your Accord won't start, that's never good, but especially bad when it's just a few years old.

Also once again, owners are complaining that the 2014 Honda Accord seats are uncomfortable. Uncomfortable seats has been a significant complaint with the Accord since the 2008 model year.

3.3

2014 Honda Accord brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Honda Accord:

2014 Honda Accord Owner Comments

Aug 242018

Accord

On 24 August 2018, several lights came on in the dash, to include the the fcw, ldw, brakes and power steering. I took the vehicle to Honda and was told that my vsa modulator may need to be replaced. They reset it and told me that if the lights come back on, I would definitely need to get it replaced. Needless to say, the lights came back on 2 hours later. I called the dealership and was told they had to order the part, which was $1400 +tax and labor. This is a serious safety issue that needs to be investigated.

- Madison, AL, USA

Aug 122018

Accord

While driving on a highway (2014 Honda Accord, 42000 mile) warning lights for brakes, elec. Stability control (vsa vehicle stability assist), power steering, and abc came on and stayed on for while. They started then to go away for a few miles then stay on most of the time. The car ABS system started acting up when braking and ABS does not engage. I had it checked at the dealer on August 21, 2018 and they indicated that the vsa modulator needs replacement and it is communicating with other systems and components and causing all 4 warning lights to come on. They said the repair will cost $1565. This failure is very premature for such a car than had only 42,000 miles at the time it occurred.

- Dearborn Heights, MI, USA

Jul 222018

Accord

Randomly the ABS, brake, traction, and steering wheel indicators appeared after starting the car and moving in motion to go to the store. No warnings preceded. After being checked by a mechanic, it was diagnosed as having a bad modulator. The indicator light continues to pop up each trip. Since having the car, the starter was replaced less than a year ago.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

May 222018

Accord

Recently my 2014 bonda Accord sport has been acting up the last week of April 2018 going out for lunch I was going to turn on car and I would not start sh!T starter problem I retried eventually car started up again but now with electronic steering, ABS, TPMS, and stability control lights lit up at same time same day drove car to dealer have it checked out but 2 miles away from getting there the lights turned off just my luck so headead back home. Now on 5/22/2018 it happend againg this time while driving home it started with break pedal when applied it would pulse like when you slam brakes and you feel ABS doing its job mind you I was in stop and go traffic when traffic cleared up the steering wheel started acting up thats when same lights on dash came up again (see pics) waiting till Tuesday to go get car checked out.

- Whittier, CA, USA

Jun 012017

Accord

The contact owns a 2014 Honda Accord. While driving approximately 50 mph, the vehicle stability assist, tire pressure, power steering, and anti-lock braking system warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was taken to metro Honda (540 New Jersey 440, jersey city, NJ) where the technician refused to repair the failures because the contact did not want to pay for the repairs. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failures recurred. The manufacturer was notified and did not assist because the vehicle was not under warranty. The vehicle was not diagnosed because the contact did not want to pay for both the diagnostic and repair cost. The failure mileage was approximately 60,000.

- Jersey City, NJ, USA

May 072018

Accord

It has been difficult to start my car. Last night it wouldn┐T start. When it finally did start all of the warning lights came in and wouldn┐T go out. This same thing has happened to many of my friends that also own 2014 Honda's.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Apr 292018

Accord

Takata recall.... car won┐T start. Connection to battery loose. I tried to start it again but mid-ignition.... loud sound and now nothing

- Gardena, CA, USA

Mar 162018

Accord

The ignition switch took forever to start engine. I had to have the starter changed and paid vandergriff Honda dealer $600+. I believe it has something to do with the battery sensor that affects also the alternator.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Nov 202017

Accord

I noticed that brakes were not working properly and 4 different warning lights came out at the same time(ABS, brake, vsa, electronic power steering), I went to braman Honda dealer located at 7000 coral way miami, fl.33155 on 11/20/17, they changed vsa modulator and they charged me $1263.09. Since this have to do with safety and the vehicle only had 29,000miles, I decided to contact american Honda but they did not help me to pay for the repair because the warranty was expired. I really would like someone to investigate this issue and call for safety recall asap since I could be dead. I know that many other Honda from same year are reporting same complaint. Thanks in advance.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jul 242014

Accord

Car has started to stall while driving. I was coming up to a red light traveling about 10 miles per hour and the car cut off.

- Dublin, GA, USA

May 012017

Accord 4-cyl

Initial problem with push button start - would not start on first push. Started at about 55K mileage. Problem has worsened - may start on first push, but sometimes takes many pushes in combination with brake release and depressing or just pushing without touching the brake - then braking and pushing. Very intermittent in terms of how many pushes - sometimes just a couple, sometime 10 or more! now at just under 60K mileage, car cannot be trusted. Error codes come up as 85-01 vsa system malfunction and 61-11 vsa modulator control unit power source circuit (ic) low voltage and B-1240 - a problem in the mode control linkage door or motor. These error codes do not seem related to the push button start issue, but is another problem to investigate and fix. The push button problem happens to many people and Honda is aware of it. My mechanic called his inside contact at the local dealer and they keep starters on hand for this. They will not handle as a warranty or 'recall' type problem and one has to pay a lot for the fix - starter replacement can be close to $1K!! another Honda contact knows of this issue - it is because the starter on the Accord, especially the 2.4L engine, is mounted below the exhaust manifold, heats up significantly and begins to fail - depends more on the # of starts than mileage, apparently. My Accord is started many times per day. This issue should be fixed under a recall event, I believe, but I must get mine fixed now!!! not good! also a problem from day 1, is the forward warning camera gets hot, here in southern cal, and will not work until the ac system cools it down. Very unsafe and worthy of further review as well.

- Desert Hot Springs, CA, USA

Dec 062016

Accord

When braking, the vehicle sometimes decides to spontaneously, violently, and unexpectedly take control and lock-up the brakes causing the passengers to be thrown forward and the vehicle to stop in a manner not expected by following traffic (or the driver). This puts the vehicle and passengers at risk of rear-end collision. This seems to occur when the vehicle perceives a nearby object as a hazard (ie vehicle ahead might slow to turn right, , vehicle in next lane appears to be traveling at a much slower speed, when changing lanes to pass a slow-moving vehicle in the lane driver is departing). This has happened on at least four occasions in the last several months. I see at lease four similar cases filed on the NHTSA site (10892728, 10895657, 10521912, 10503138), also in 2013 and later Honda Accord.

- Titusville, FL, USA

Jun 062016

Accord

Takata recall:my car was hesitating when accelerating from a stop. I stopped and turned the car off only for about 5 minutes, I got back in, turned the car on and it wouldn't start. I was on a city St, so I walked to auto mechanic shop, got a jump, it started up after 5 to 10 minutes. The next day, the same thing happen. I called Honda, got someone to jump start the car, drove to Honda, left the car for 2 days. Honda called me stating that the battery was good, but the sensors were bad and needed to be replaced. They replaced the sensors, charged me $160. I picked up the car, drove it home, then 2 days later, the car died out again. I called Honda again, they told me to bring the car in. I got the car jumped in order to take it back to Honda. This time, I left the car there for 3 days. They told me this time that the battery was bad and wanted me to pay for a battery. I refused to pay for a battery, sent the manager an email in reference to the findings that they said was wrong with the vehicle because in the begining, they told me that it was nothing wrong with the battery and now I paid for the sensor and the car still cut off. Did I really need the sensors or was it the battery in the first place? they replaced the battery at no charge..

- Hazelcrest, IL, USA

Sep 122016

Accord

Air bag deployment system problem. Air bag off warning light sometimes comes on when an adult passenger is seated. This is an intermittant problem. Dealer unable to identify problem on 2 (3 hr) visits. Honda hq reports: Weight to trigger sensor is < 60lbs. Warning light that air bag is turned off may or may not mean that air bag is off and will not deploy. Light must be on when dealer checks as Honda computer does not store any error codes or conditions, advised to wait until light come on then go to dealer. I objected as passenger is at risk of life that the air bag will provide no protection in event of collision. Honda stated policy they will not replace sensor unless it fails in test at dealer ┐ that is, permanently bad, not intermittant. Honda hq agent then asked if there was anything else she/Honda could do. I said yes, replace any sensor that may cause the light to go on, and check light for faulty wiring. Response: We┐re not willing to do that. (Honda hq case # 05056884)

- Vienna, VA, USA

Aug 212015

Accord

Flashing dashboard: Fcw, engine light on, stabilizer control light, ABS- all the lights flashing on dash board, unable to start card. Brake pedal very hard. Car was parked on street in front of home. Fifth time this has happened the dealer claims it's the fourth time. Car problem has never been fixed. The dealer blames alarm department. The alarm department claims dealer always blames them. However, I bought the car from the dealer, they are responsible for permanently fixing this problem. The dealership has not fixed this problem since it began in 2015. This falls inside of 18 months lemon law. I am not a mechanic but it seems to me that this is a ongoing electrical problem that the dealership seems not receptive about it.

- Whittier, CA, USA

Jun 052014

Accord

If someone push the start, stop button by accident at a speed of 40 mph" will the car shut of? so I tried the test. I stop at the gas station to get some coffee, took my feet off the accelerator and while the car was in drive I push on the start, stop button to see what would happen, and believe it or not the car just shut down causing a small jerk to the car luckily it wasn't my neck. If this happens at a speed of 40, 50, 60 mph what would you think could happen" people getting badly hurt or death. With all the safety futures of the 2014 Honda Accord air bags, back up camera, right turn camera, sensor comes on if you're to close to a car, etc. I am surprised no one had taught about covering the start, stop button which the only way to start or stop the car is to lift up the cover. Please keep me up dated on this safety issues, so I can be more relax when driving my car. I don't want my knees or by accident push the wrong button to change the temp. Of the ac.

- Honolulu , HI, USA