2019 Honda CR-V electrical problems: battery dead

Battery Dead

2019 Honda CR-V

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.

7.3

$250

2019 Honda CR-V electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2019 Honda CR-V:

2019 Honda CR-V Owner Comments

Dec 162020

CR-V EX-L 3.2L

Our 2019 Honda CRV battery is poorly manufactured. I have jumped it or charged the battery at least four times before I took it to the dealer. Dealer told me there was no problem with the battery but installed a trickle charger. I was also told the weather in Juneau was hard on batteries (temps were 40-30). Told the fella sure was glad we weren't in Anchorage or Fairbanks. Since installing the trickle charger, I charged my battery again last night!

THE BATTERY IS NOT ENGINEERED FOR DRIVING!!

- jnumarshallvm, Juneau, US

Aug 182019

CR-V EX 1.4L Turbo

My vehicle battery was dead after coming back from vacation. Had to buy a charger to charge it. After charging I received many problems, with the braking system, tire pressure systems, CMBS problems, adaptive cruise control problems and others. It also said system were not stable. Some error message went off after driving around the block. I’m concerned it will leave me stranded somewhere, or something worse.

- j4patrice , Monahans, US

Mar 042019

CR-V EX 1.9L

• CVT transmission

One week after purchasing our brand new 2019 CR-V the battery was dead. 250 miles on the odometer. The car had been in our garage for two days over the weekend. After getting a jump we took the car to the dealer. We were told that there is a known software bug that causes the computer to "wake up" a component of the evaporative fuel system, which causes a parasitic draw that drains the battery. We were told that they have 4 other 2019 CR-V's with the same problem and that there is an update being worked on to solve the problem. In the meantime we were told not to let the fuel tank go below a half and that when shutting off the car to immediately start it and shut it off again. Supposedly this "fools" the computer into staying "asleep".

I checked with Honda USA customer service and they had no record of any such update being worked on. Guess I'll find out in a couple of weeks whether the dealer is blowing smoke or not. This is the first Honda I have ever owned and their reputation for reliability has taken a big hit as far as I'm concerned. My wife, who the car is for, loved it when we bought it. Now she does not know whether she can trust it or not. Can you say buyers remorse?

Update from Mar 27, 2019: Still getting a run around. Honda national says no fix in the works for our vin number. They won't even acknowledge that they are aware of the problem. Meanwhile our dealer insists that they have been told by the regional Honda rep that there is an update in the works. Either Honda customer service is misinformed or some one is lying.

Update from Mar 28, 2019: Got a call from the dealer, car is going in for the update tomorrow. I'll let you all know how it works out.

Update from Mar 29, 2019: Update applied today. TSB 19-039. Hope this helps some one. Its called the FI-ECU Self Shutdown software.

Update from Apr 8, 2019: Left the car in the garage for four days and it started this morning. Looks like the update did the trick.

- Bernd L., E. Baldwin, ME, US