2007 Hyundai Sonata brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Hyundai Sonata:

2007 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Aug 032015

Sonata 6-cyl

The ESC deactivates itself and the light comes on while you are driving and will not activate itself until the auto is turned off and restarted. Because the ESC turns itself off it probably could cause the auto to skid out of control. Reading about this on the internet it seems that many people experience this dangerous malfunction which should be repaired by the manufacturer.

- West Palm Beach, FL, USA

Jul 012015

"ESC off" light turns on after engine startup, or driving a few miles. It fixes itself when engine is turned off, then turned on again. ESC on/off switch has no effect on the light. It occurs for a number of times a day. It would be unsafe if ESC is truly turned off when we need it. I had the same problem fixed in a previous recall. It came back a few years later.

- Midlothian, VA, USA

May 152015

The electronic stability control (ESC) light off will appear and disappear from the dashboard.

- Duluth, GA, USA

Apr 152015

Sonata 4-cyl

ESC light comes on indicating the ESC system is inoperable. This is usually preceded by the feeling that the brakes are being applied without my pressing the brake pedal. The vehicle feels sluggish following the illumination of the ESC light. This is an intermittent problem.

- Prattville, AL, USA

Apr 202015

Sonata 6-cyl

My brake lights no longer function. My "ESC off" light and check engine light appeared. I had a mechanic scan my car regarding the aforementioned issues and the code that displayed was "P0504". after researching this code I have discovered: The engine control module (ECM) has detected a fault in correlation between the two brake switch circuits. This very problem has resulted a massive recall for Hyundai & Kia vehicles. Unfortunately, my vehicle is not eligible for the recall according to the VIN look up for this recall campaign (110). I should not have to pay out of pocket for this manufacturer defect!!!

- Greenwood, IN, USA

Mar 242015

As I am driving normally, the ESC off light comes on after a few minutes of driving and remains lit until I shut the car off.

- West Saint Paul, MN, USA

Mar 182015

While trying to park my 2007 Hyundai Sonata the automatic transmission shifter was stuck in drive and can only be moved into neutral. Leading up to this happening the ESC light kept coming on and eventually stayed permanently on. I later found out that my break light was also off. I am able to move the shifter by pressing down the bypass. As it is in order to take the car out of park I have to press down the bypass. I have to do the same when going from drive to reverse or from reverse to drive. Break light still not working and ESC light is on.

- Valley Stream , NY, USA

Jun 012014

Sonata 4-cyl

The "ESC off" light comes on while driving the vehicle. Pressing the "ESC off" button on the dashboard has no effect and I do not know if the ESC is actually disabled or if the warning is illuminated in error. Restarting the car causes the warning light to go off, but it sometimes comes back on shortly after. I believe there have been recalls on other Hyundai models for similar issues, but not for the 2007 Sonata.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Nov 102014

Sonata 4-cyl

ESC light keeps coming on intermittently while driving. I used to be able to turn the car off and then back on and the light would stay off. Now, I turn the car on and off then back on again and the light comes back on with no way to turn it off.

- Phoenix , AZ, USA

Oct 132014

Sonata 4-cyl

The light keeps coming on while driving.

- Palm Coast, FL, USA

Oct 072008

Sonata 6-cyl

2007 Hyundai Sonata SE was recalled I think in 2008 for ESC off light coming on while driving. Has been re-occurring for the last month or so. After turning engine off, light goes out and then comes back on while the vehicle is in motion. Pressing the ESC switch has no affect. Brake lights work normally. My concern is that if I have to brake to avoid a problem while on wet slippery roads (lots of rain in my area), the ESC would be of no use. This is a design/manufacturing defect that is still present in my vehicle and Hyundai should continue to fix this problem at their expense for the life of the vehicle.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Aug 252014

Sonata 6-cyl

I bought my car about a week ago, this morning I turned the car on and the ESC off light came on. I looked online for what the light meant and I saw that there may have been a recall on my model and year. I filled my gas tank half way and the light went off. I started it again a little bit ago and the light is back again.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Jun 202014

Sonata 4-cyl

My air bag has been on now for 2 months and like another complaints I was told that I could bring it and pay 85 dollars for them to run a test to see what was wrong.I took it in for the recall about the seat belt where they had to ship it to ca. If you know that you have had problems with your air bag system wouldn't it be good customer service to check it for free. My ESC light will come on at least once or twice a month. I'm not sure what causes that problem to happen. I have a concern about the paint flaking off. I have read on other sites and spoke to several body shops about this concern. The body shops state that the problem lies with the primer not holding the paint. I've already had to have the roof repainted and now my trunk is down to bare primer. I don't feel that I should have to pay for another repair bill for something that happened at the factory. I'm just wondering if anyone else has complained about this?

- Waxhaw, NC, USA

Jul 172014

The contact owns a 2007 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 60 mph, the ESC and the engine warning lights illuminated intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 69,000.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jun 232014

Sonata 4-cyl

I was just driving to work and the ESC off light came on, the only way I have been able to get it to go off is to restart the car. One of the times I had trouble getting the car in to park but after playing around with the brake pedal it final allowed me to shift. It has been happening randomly, I had it check for error codes and nothing could be found.

- Parma, OH, USA

Mar 022014

Sonata 6-cyl

During a snow storm, I was attempting to make a stop. My brakes would not engage (as if something was keeping the brake shoes from engaging onto the wheel). There also was a loud clatter. I disengaged my electronic stability control and was only then able to apply the brakes. Today I took my vehicle in for service and was told that the stop switch needed to be replaced. I saw Hyundai had a recall NHTSA campaign #: 09V-122 which was published April 15, 2009.. according to my VIN history, my stop lamp switch had been previously replaced on 4/4/09 by malone Hyundai. I contacted Hyundai corporation and asked if perhaps my stop switch, since being replaced before the recall, might have been replaced with also a defective stop switch. The case manager told me that the 5 year, 60,000 mile warranty on parts was 5 years, 60,000 miles from the time the vehicle was first driven new off the lot and Hyundai would not replace my defective stop switch unless I took the vehicle to a certified Hyundai dealership and they could certify that my switch was installed incorrectly. On safercar.gov, you have several documents published related to this recall. In the document entitled "owner notification letter", page 2 which is a notification to Hyundai dealership & service managers dated 6/24/2009, paragraph 5 says: "all Hyundai dealers will be shipped a supply of stop lamp switches..." which implies all existing stock of these switches were potentially defective! your assistance is greatly appreciated in getting Hyundai to take responsibility for this defect!

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Nov 182013

Sonata 6-cyl

ESC off light comes on periodically; cruise control not working. Stop lamp switch replaced in 2010 but problem persists. Dealer wants to charge fee to diagnose problem and additional charges to repair. Should have part of recall.

- Washington Dc, DC, USA

Nov 172013

Sonata 4-cyl

The ESC off dashboard warning light is on and the brake lights are not working correctly.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jun 012012

Sonata 4-cyl

I recently read an article about the NHTSA investigating Sonata faulty rear control arms that affect the electronic stability control. On occasion, my Sonata will light up the electronic stability control disabled dashboard indicator. The electronic stability control will indicate that it's off for a few miles of driving and then the disabled light will turn off and I am presuming that the electronic stability control is back on. I have not felt any difference in the driving when stability control becomes disabled, but that very well could be because I usually asee the indicator light up (on the occasions that it happens) in the morning after starting the engine and driving slowly through the neighborhood to exit. After driving at speeds of about 40 for a few miles, the disabled indicator disappears. Total times issue occurred: About 10 or less since first occurrence mid 2012.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jan 272012

Sonata 6-cyl

2007 Sonata with 37,000 miles. Check engine light and ESC light come on and car goes into limp mode. Extremely unsafe. Happens randomly. Have to pull over because car won't accelerate. Car needs to be shut off and turned back on. Code P2135 and P2106.

- Scranton, PA, USA