ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

9.1

$1,040

1. replace TIPM module (7 reports)
2011 Jeep Liberty electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Jeep Liberty:

2011 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments

Aug 042017

Liberty

My 2011 Jeep Liberty will not start at random times. All the lights turn on and it clicks once when I turn the key, but it doesn't fire up. After giving it about 10-20 minutes, I will retry starting the vehicle, and it will start. There is no light that comes on the dash, no code gets sent to the vehicle's computer - Nothing! I initially thought battery or starter, but it was neither one of those things. I didn't realize that it was the TIPM module until researching the issue and then, I found out all the other issues I was having are related to this module! Sometimes, my Jeep will not accelerate when I press the gas. It usually chooses the WORST times to do this, like when I'm trying to merge onto the interstate or cross an intersection! My AC decides to randomly not blow cold air and one passenger power window can't be controlled from the passenger seat, only from the driver's controls. Obviously, I can live with the annoying things like the AC and passenger window, but having the vehicle randomly not start or accelerate is DANGEROUS and this needs to be recalled!

- Katrina M., Collegeville, US

Jun 102017

Liberty Sport 3.7L V6

My 2011 Liberty died while driving at 50mph on a rural road. Dash lights all lit up, tach went nuts car died. The battery is 8 months old, half tank of gas. No power to anything in the car except the interior lights could be derived on. Under the hood, a relay in the "fuse" box, aka TIPM, was clicking away, I pulled and replaced it, still dead. It was literally drug up onto a flatbed because it wouldn't come out of park. No forewarning of things to come, drove it 2 days before and it was perfectly fine. Now it's at the shop, the TIPM will be replaced for $1300.

Update from Jun 22, 2017: I found a guy in California that rebuilds TIPMs, in my case sells rebuilt ones. Seller info:rockbottom_oem_autoparts. Guarantees the rebuilt box for a year, ships back in one business day. I was quoted $1300 for a new one.

- dschiav4ds, Ellicott City, US

Jun 092016

Liberty 3.2L V6

AFTER FINALLY PURCHASING A REPUTABLE BRAND, JEEP, WITH GREAT EXPECTATIONS, I WAS SADLY LEFT FRUSTRATED AND DISAPPOINTED.

I PURCHASED THE CAR USED, A 2011 WITH 106,000 MILES, AND ENJOYED IT FOR ABOUT 6 MONTHS UNTIL THE TIPM SENSOR WENT AND COST ME $200.00 TO TOW THE CAR TO JEEP AND THEN ANOTHER $1500.00 TO HAVE THE SENSOR REPLACED ( A 10 MIN JOB)...WITH NOT RENTAL CAR PROVIDED AND NO HELP FROM DODGE/CHRYSLER/JEEP, I WAS STUCK BETWEEN A ROCK AND A HARD PLACE, HAVING TO TAKE OUT A CREDIT CARD IN ORDER TO PAY FOR THE AUTO SERVICES IN AN EFFORT TO GET BACK TO WORK AND NOT LOSE MY JOB.

AFTER READING EVERYTHING ONLINE, I CAN'T HELP BUT THINK THAT THIS IS TOTALLY IMMORAL OF SUCH A REPUTABLE BRAND. I FEEL AS THOUGH THEY SHOULD BE HELD RESPONSIBLE AND BE REQUIRED TO REIMBURSE EVERYONE AFFECTED. TOTALLY OUTRAGEOUS! IS THIS WHAT I GET FOR BUYING AMERICAN?

SOOOOO FRUSTRATED! #CANTAFFORDTHISRIGHTNOW!

- Claire W., Denver, CO, USA

Aug 152015

Liberty V6

Went out to start car and wouldn't start. Took battery in and said weak ,so buy a new one for 120 bucks. Install. Jeep starts and go to store, come out, won't start. Wait for awhile and starts. Next day starts and driving down the road and Jeep just quits in traffic. Try restarting and goes for another block and dies. Finally get home and have it towed to dealer. Dealer said TIPM was shot and also took out a module for my powertrain. So module for powertrain is covered by warranty but TIPM was not. I have been waiting 15 days now and no TIPM!!!!! They said cost to me is 1200 bucks! Chrysler had a recall because of this but my jeep was not included. I live in Nebraska and would like to know if there is any legal action going on here.

- Pam C., Omaha, USA

Jan 232015

Liberty LX

I am having all kinds of electrical problems with my car. I have lights on dashboard going off and now the car entry system is failing

- jeditrader, Pompano, FL, USA

Oct 062014

Liberty Sport

I tried to start my car and, with the exception of the radio and lights coming on, nothing happened. After towing it to a couple locations, the dealership determined (after sitting on it for 2 days) that the car--like so many other Jeeps--had a faulty TIPM. I found this website after a brief search on the internet landed me on this link: http://www.chryslerproblems.com/problems/defective-tipm.shtml

I believe that this part should have been recalled and I should not be on the hook for the repair cost.

- Timothy M., Boston, MA, USA

Sep 052014

Liberty Sport 3.7L

My Jeep recently started stalling. When I drove on the freeway and tried accelerating, the Jeep hesitated before picking up speed. When I attempted to crank it, often it wouldn't start on the first attempt. Different lights came on in the dash. One morning it just wouldn't start at all. I took it to Auto Electric Specialist and had the problem diagnosed for $87.50. I was told I needed the BCM Module and Wiring in the Main Data Harness replaced. They offered to repair the problem for $1176.55.

I took the diagnosis and the Jeep to River Oaks where I originally purchased the vehicle. They didn't charge me their standard $120.00 diagnostic fee. However I was informed that I need my TIPM (Total Integrated Power Module) replaced. I was told they would replace it for $1100.00 which is supposedly a good deal.

After viewing different websites, I discovered the TIPM is an ongoing issue with different Chrysler vehicles. My grievance is due to the fact that Chrysler knows this is an ongoing problem. Why should I have to pay $1100 to have it repaired? Supposedly I have the 100,000 power train warranty. Unfortunately for me, it doesn't cover the TIPM. Where is the lemon law in this case? Since this is a manufacturing issue, I feel that Chrysler should be held accountable. Chrysler should have to repair this problem that they have had knowledge of since 2003. I guess it's going to take several lives being lost like with GMC before this is acknowledged.

- Bobbye B., Houston, TX, USA