- November 12: Mazda6 Subframe Rust Investigation Closed After Recall investigations | 64 days ago
- October 24: Mazda Recalls 156,000 Vehicles Over Takata Airbags recalls | 83 days ago
Mazda Recall 0617A: Passenger Frontal Air Bag Inflator May Rupture
2005 Mazda RX-8
An inflator rupture may result in metal fragments striking the vehicle occupants resulting in serious injury or death.
Air Bags — Passenger Side Frontal
- Mazda North America Operations (Mazda) is recalling certain 2009 RX-8 vehicles originally sold, or ever registered, in Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, District of Columbia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia, or "Zone B." Additionally, unless included in "Zone B" above, Mazda is recalling certain 2005-2006 MPV and 2005-2008 RX-8 vehicles originally sold, or ever registered in Alaska, Colorado, Connecticut, Idaho, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, New Hampshire, New York, North Dakota, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Utah, Vermont, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming. These vehicles are equipped with certain air bag inflators assembled as part of the passenger frontal air bag modules used as original equipment or replacement equipment. In the event of a crash necessitating deployment of the passenger frontal air bag, these inflators may rupture due to propellant degradation occurring after long-term exposure to absolute humidity and temperature cycling.
- Mazda will notify owners, and dealers will replace the front passenger side air bag inflator, free of charge. The recall began March 10, 2017. Owners may contact Mazda customer service at 1-800-222-5500. Mazda's number for this recall is 0617A. Note: This recall is partially superseded by 18V404.
- Documents (10)
- Recall 573 Report-Amendment 2
- Recall 573 Report-Amendment 3
- Recall Quarterly Report #1, 2017-1
- 17V011 Vehicle information for Data as of April 21, 2017 with 'Other' category counts added
- Recall Quarterly Report #2, 2017-2
- Defect Notice 573 Report
- Recall Acknowledgement
- Recall Quarterly Report #3, 2017-3
- Recall Quarterly Report #4, 2017-4
- Remedy Instructions and TSB
Click a tab for more information.