NHTSA — Power Train: Axle Assembly Problems

1998 Acura CL drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Acura CL:

1998 Acura CL Owner Comments

Jun 012004

CL 6-cyl

There was not any event leading up to the failure. I own an Acura 1998 Cl. Coming home from vacation yesterday on route 79 in West Virginia, going 70 miles/hour, my right front axle bearing just broke in half, and my wheel fell off causing me to lose control of my vehicle. Luckily, I was able to get the vehicle off of the highway. I just had my car inspected in February. There was no wear of the tire to indicate a problem. No vibrations, no shaking, absolutely no indication there was a problem with that very important part of my vehicle. I want to know if this is happening with other Acura, because I am afraid to drive it again after it is fixed because I'm afraid it will happen again. The consequences could have been alot worse. The incident occurred 6/1/2004, so my vehicle has not been repaired yet.

- Christiansburg, VA, USA