NHTSA — Electrical System Problems Notes: The automatic transmission on the 2nd generation CL (2001-2003) is a downshifting mess. According to reports it slips, flares, and eventually fails --- sometimes around 40,000 miles.

The troubled transmission got an extended warranty for some CL owners that was later extended even further thanks to a class-action lawsuit in the United States. But even with the extended warranty, the transmission in this car is well known for overheating and locking up suddenly and without warning.

2001 Acura CL electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Acura CL:

2001 Acura CL Owner Comments

Sep 232015

My SRS light is on, and always on, driving, in park, etc. However, my car has not been recalled. I read that if the SRS light is on the system will not work, however the seat belt restraint in both front seats and side air bag indicator both work. Dealer should examine, determine problem and fix at no cost. My navi dvr system also works only intermittently. I have the most recent disc. Mostly it is a bunch of lines across the screen, black and white, sometime blue and white. I would say one in 20 starts the navi system works.

- Madison, WI, USA

Jan 052009

The key for my 2001 Acura Cl can be removed regardless the position of the car's automatic transmission shift lever. In other words, the lock-out that should prevent this from happening in any position other than "park" is not functioning. This has occurred all the time over a period of several months and I understand this is a problem on other Honda manufactured vehicles. As a result of this issue, my car rolled into my garage door after I had shut it off and gotten out of the vehicle, having mistakenly left in "drive". damage minor. I have an appointment with the dealer for repairs (he doesn't believe me). Since this is a potentially dangerous situation, a recall, or at least an owner alert, should be considered.

- Mt. Pleasant, SC, USA

May 072008

The ignition lock-out system has permanently failed on my 2001 Acura Cl so that the key may be removed when shifter is "drive" position. This creates a dangerous situation where the car can roll away after the driver has exited. This has happened to me on several occasions, including once when the car damaged my garage door. I understand this is also a problem on Honda badge vehicles. A recall is needed.

- Mt. Pleasant, SC, USA

May 162005

CL 6-cyl

SRS indicator light is on and according to the dealer it was an error cod15-3. they told the consumer that it was caused by cell phone or electrical interference. There was a tsb which applied to error code 15-3. the consumer took the vehicle to the dealer and they reset the sensor switch, this happened again the next morning. Do not know status of the airbag systems is not. The consumer did not feel that a cell phone could cause this type of interference.

- Orchard Park, NY, USA