Transmission Failed Very Prematurely

2001 Acura CL

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Acura dealer. Notes: The automatic transmission on the 2nd generation CL (2001-2003) is a downshifting mess. According to reports it slips, flares, and eventually fails --- sometimes around 40,000 miles.

The troubled transmission got an extended warranty for some CL owners that was later extended even further thanks to a class-action lawsuit in the United States. But even with the extended warranty, the transmission in this car is well known for overheating and locking up suddenly and without warning.

1. dealer recommended to sell the car (1 reports)
  2. dealer replaced transmission (1 reports)
  3. i paid $1,000 and my warranty company paid to rebuild it (1 reports)
  4. newly built Jasper transmission (1 reports)
  6. rebuilt transmission (1 reports)
2001 Acura CL transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Acura CL:

2001 Acura CL Owner Comments

Apr 022012

CL Type S 3.2L V6

With out any warning transmission went out. Mechanic said it happened in the 3rd gear. Had it rebuilt since a new transmission would cost more than the car was worth.

- , Pelzer, SC, USA

Jan 102007

At 96,000 miles the dealership replaced my trans under warranty - torque converter issues and warranty was up at 100,000. The thing was this---- they knew those transmissions had problems and they had newer (fixed!) ones, but they put the same old junk one in my car under warranty. At 100,500 miles my transmission goes- same as before, torque converter (thank god I drive nothing but manuals now) but, I was out of warranty. We went round and round but no help from the dealership.

I paid $3750 for a specialty built Jasper transmission and sold the car. Took a loss but just wanted it gone. A nightmare.

- , Orange Park, FL, USA

Sep 202010

CL Premium 3.2L

I bought the car used with 111,000 miles and never had any major issues with it. One day my check engine light came on out of the blue. I had the car checked by my local Acura dealer and was told that the transmission was failing. I was quoted anywhere from 3,000 for a rebuilt to 4,500 for a new transmission. The service dept recommended I sell the car before I was stuck with the bill. I know that this is a very common problem with this model and several other Honda's built around this time. Sad to say I had to sell my car. Could not afford payments and a repair bill that high. Our family has been loyal Honda owners for over 20 years and never had an issue like this.

- , Columbus, OH, USA

Nov 112008

CL 2DR Coupe 3.2L

I bought this car in September of 2007 as a birthday present for myself. Little did I know there is a horde of people out there who own this car and have replaced the transmission 3 or 4 times during it's lifespan.

As a matter of fact, there was a recall on the issue. However, Acura still makes you pay $800-$1000 for labor while they "rebuild" or "re manufacture" your transmission. This NEVER fixes the problem permanently because usually every 30,000 -50,000 the transmission goes out again with the same exact issue.

I know it's a beautiful vehicle, but avoid this Acura CL at all cost.

- , Bedford, TX, USA

Feb 192008

CL 3.2L V6

I purchased this car 2 years ago and was never aware that their was a recall on the transmission for Acura cl 2001 transmission. I took the car to the dealer today and asked them to repair the transmission. They said they fixed the transmission years ago and cannot help me. It will cost over $4,ooo. to repair and I do not have that kind of money as a single parent. I have no idea what to do now. I still owe on the car and need to go th work... Where can i go for help.

- , San Francisco, CA, USA

Mar 252005

Approx. a year after purchasing the car Acura sent me a letter extending my warranty by an extra 2 years and additional 60,000kms. Totaling 7 years or 160,000kms, That caused a RED FLAG to me. Why?. Then about 4 months ago my call was recalled to inspect the transmission for signs of heat. It was given a clean bill of health and they added to my car a transmission cooler at no charge. Why?. Three months later my transmission would engage 2nd. gear. Acura tells me it needs a new transmission. Why? If it was deemed O. K. and they added a coolant which should now make it twice as good, it fails!. It tells me two very sad things about Acura. First, They knew they had a problem with the transmissions on my model and second, Did they know about it before I bought the car and sold it to me withholding that information. That if true and I believe it is true because they had experienced a variety of problems with the transmission in that model since 1999 to include the 2000 and 2001's. Is that ethical? Is it truthful? Did they give me the consumer all the information that was necessary to purchase the car? On all 3 Counts the answer is NO. Now I have a 2001 Acura with another transmission and they won't warranty it from Zero kms. So I ask, is it a transmission that has been updated and now free of problems and just another and they are crossing their fingers?. Now I don't have any confidence in the car/ Thks Lefty I feel better by being able to share this with you.

- , Bolton, On., Canada