NHTSA — Vehicle Speed Control Problems

1998 Acura Integra engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Acura Integra:

1998 Acura Integra Owner Comments

Jan 292012

Integra 4-cyl

I pulled into the parking lot. Since my car was not straight, I wanted to back out and park again. I stepped onto the brake, and switched to reverse gear. As I prepare to drive backwards, I relaxed my foot from the brake. However, my car suddenly roared and charged forward. It ran over the curb, and kept going. I had tried to brake 2 or 3 times, but the brake became so stiff, it simply would not stop. It finally hit the fire hydrate, turning 90 degrees to the right, then came to a complete stop. There was water spilled all over, and steam coming out of the engine. My foot was still on brake. I wanted to park, then get out of the car. As I looked down, it was still on the reverse gear. I was very shocked that the car would suddenly accelerate forward while on the reverse gear, and the brake would not work. If it were not for the fire hydrate, my car would surely have ran into the busy street and hit the incoming traffic. I have driven this car since 1998, and taken my car for all minor, intermediate, and major services on time at Acura dealer, so it was unlikely the accident was my fault.

- Fremont, CA, USA