8.0

2002 Acura MDX transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Acura MDX:

2002 Acura MDX Owner Comments

Jan 022012

MDX Touring 3.5L

Bought the car new. Chronic problem with shifting of transmission, even after repair, and then replacement. Recall by Honda did not fix the problem.

- , cary, NC, USA

Nov 102009

MDX

I can't believe I am the 1st to complain about a 2002 MDX. There are 100s of other sites complaining of the transmissions going far to early on this vehicle. I did notice 67 complaints regarding the 2002 Odyssey which has the exact same tranny. I am guessing I won;t be the last to complain.

My transmission is constantly dropping from 5th to 2nd gear. It seems to happen only after the car has warmed up and I get it up to speed (over 60MPH) it then drops into 2nd whenever it wants and usually stays their. I narrowly missed getting rear-ended by an 18 wheeler yesterday with my 1 year old son in the car.

I had a recall done on the tranny this year, they added a cooling jet to the 2nd gear. When I called them this week they said they couldn;t help me out because my warranty was up. I mentioned of course that it is a defective tramsission which is why there was a recall and all they said was "once the recall is done we can;t help you, if it wasn;t completed we could maybe help" WHAT!!!! The is messed up logic. Obviously the problem isn;t because of the 10,000 miles I have put on since the recall was done. It is do to a faulty transmission being put into my car and being driven for years while it burns out as it was designed to do.

I'm not sure what I can do as I can;t afford to fix it. I am just stuck right now. Very upset, needless to say Honda well never be a part of my life again.

- , Brantford, Ontario, Canada