9.0

2. replace transmission (1 reports)
2003 Acura MDX transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Acura MDX:

2003 Acura MDX Owner Comments

Mar 202014

MDX

Wife is stuck out of town with symptoms of a slipping / failing transmission. It occurred immediately after having recall work on interlock system.

- , Moses Lake, WA, USA

Oct 242012

MDX Touring V6

Vehicle was not driven hard at all, just for taking kids to school and grocery store. We are the orig. owners and followed manufacturer maintenance at same dealer since new. Tranny went out while entering freeway, lost all power at 50mph as if it had been placed into neutral. We were almost hit by a semi but made it to the shoulder. No slipping, nothing to warn it was going to happen.

Dealer told me $4500 to fix/replace tranny and torq converter. I did not OK the repair but rather said I needed to weigh my options. Received a call back an hour later saying Acura Corp. said they would give me a break with a repair amount of $2400. After doing research about Acura/Honda transmission issues I took it on myself to call Acura Corp. and complain. They gave a further reduced amount to fix of $1980.

Bottom line is Acura knows they have a flawed design and unless the victim/customer pushes you will pay big $$$$ to fix it. I loved the car but honestly I feel Acura/Honda knew full well of the tranny issue and decided to ignore it. I have read that several people believe Acura/Honda purposely design components to fail not long after warranties expire. I don't know but after reading of all the complaints there could be something to it.

I will be selling the vehicle and it is my last Acura.

- , Pleasant Hill, CA, USA

Apr 232012

MDX V6

Didn't believe it when people told me never to buy honda/acura car again, because by 100,000 mile the transmission will fail...sure enough, when my transmission fail it was 104,366 mile. Cost $2200 to get it rebuilt and then something else when wrong..total pain this car gave me was $3200 AND on top of that I still have $6000 left to make payment...and it was a used car too...

- , Fresno, CA, USA

Apr 242011

MDX

Purchased a used 03 Acura MDX from a dealer on 4/22/11. I was driving the vehicle on a toll road (TX 121) and was traveling at around 65mph. Car started decelerating and would not go into gear. Almost had couple of accidents as there was no power to the drivetrain. Cars traveling behind me at 65mph+ were braking hard to avoid me.

Vehicle towed to a transmission shop and they advised that it was transmission failure. Called Acura customer care and contacted them also via Twitter. They pretended that they did not know of issues with transmission despite my research which points to numerous defects in their transmission. Acura indicated initial intent to consider compensate for the cost of transmission repair. After submitting all repair and towing details/invoices, Acura representative - Sergio Ramos (800-382-2238 ext. 115089) - indicates that he will not consider any reimbursement. When I asked for a manager or supervisor, Sergio indicated that there is nobody higher at the organization who can make the decision (which I do not find credible as Acura/Honda certainly has president's and VPs listed on their website).

Acura manufactured and sold a vehicle that is known for faulty transmissions that have endangered my safety. I have tried working with Acura to amicably solve this issue to no avail.

Acura MDX is a potential hazard to public safety and potential deadly vehicle which Acura fails to acknowledge and fix.

- , Frisco, TX, USA