NHTSA — Power Train Problems

2004 Acura MDX (Page 2 of 3)

2004 Acura MDX drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Acura MDX:

2004 Acura MDX Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

May 142013

I had noticed a shuddering at 1200-1400 RPM. Dealer said it was likely the torque converter. Recommended not doing anything at this time. In the past month, I've had two occasions while in drive from a stop, when I stepped on the gas the car did not move; the engine just revved. The first time I put the car into park, shut off the car. I restarted and all was well. This next time I was going around a curve at about 10-15 mph, when the car revving response to my pressing the gas pedal, but did not accelerate. As if it had shifted into neutral. I switched into neutral and back into drive, and it re-engaged. Lots of similar concerns on my investigation on the internet. If this is a known problem to Acura/Honda, why has there not been a recall or a fix?

- Owings Mills, MD, USA

May 162012

MDX 6-cyl

I have had to replace the torque converter twice on my 2004 MDX, with a third time being needed now. The replacement failed within 2500 miles and the new replacement is failing as well. I have also had to replace the engine mounts when the torque converter failed the first time. Three times is entirely too many. I am not replacing due to dealer requiring me pay. All service performed as required at the same dealer that I purchased the vehicle from as new. The current milage is 132,000.

- Grayslake, IL, USA

Oct 262012

I pulled up my driveway which has uphill grade then a flat area and was in my garage when I noticed that I had the keys in my hand. I turned around and noticed my car was drifting back down the driveway. I tried to jump back in the car to hit the brakes but thought better of it as it was gaining more speed. I let go F the front door and watched as it veered off the driveway and hit a tree and landscaping rock and end of driveway. What it. So I was able to take the key out of the ignition while the car while still in the drive position. I did not receive a recall notice until February. Acura has not been judicious in their effort to fix the damage that occurred to my vehicle due to a defective part.

- Reading, PA, USA

May 012012

MDX 6-cyl

When driving at speeds about 30-45 mph. The car spudders, rumbles when I accelerate. I need to take my foot off the accelerater to make to stop. It happen all the time.

- Bolingbrook, IL, USA

Oct 012012

My car makes a grinding noise while accelerating at around 30 - 40 mph. I showed to the Acura dealer and they said that this is due to a bad torque converter. They also said that this has to repaired with my on my expense as I am out of warranty. I noticed that this is a common issue with most of the Mdxs and various online forums have mentioned this.

- Herndon, VA, USA

Jun 142011

The contact owns a 2004 Acura MDX. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the vehicle made a shuttering vibration noise. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the torque converter was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 80,000 and the current mileage was 90,000.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Dec 012010

Vehicle develops vibration and shutter in transmission/drivetrain at approximately 30mph along with fluctuations in rpms. Also, torque converter feels semi-locked at idle when in drive shortly after starting causing rough idle and stalls, and hesitation upon initial acceleration.

- Brockton, MA, USA

Nov 012011

My car makes a grinding noise and vibrates when I am accelerating and hit 30-35 mph.

- Oak Park, IL, USA

Jan 202012

MDX 6-cyl

I was driving my car about 35 mph and the transmission started slipping. I pulled over to the side of the road and had the car towed. The radiator fluid had leaked into the transmission, initially I had the radiator replaced and had the contaminated fluid flushed and replaced several times. I drove the car for several days thinking that had taken care of the problem- it did not!! I had to have the transmission replaced at 103,764 miles. The total cost to me for both repairs was $4519.09. Now I am finding out that has been a problem and I feel that Acura should have recalled all of the 2004 Acura and should pay or in the very least help with the cost of the repairs.

- South Portland, ME, USA

Jun 052012

Internal leak in radiator causing a leak of coolant to transmission fluid and vice versa, damaging transmission and rendering car not drivable within moments.

- Weston, MA, USA

Jun 022012

MDX 6-cyl

I was told my radiator bladder exploded causing all fluids to mix, thus I now need a new radiator and a new transmission, cost of repair is $4600. My 04 MDX has 137K this should not happen, there are numerous cases of this same issue all over the internet Acura forums, why has there not been a recall on this issue, there is clearly an issue with the radiators. I need to have the radiator replaced, all fluids drained and then flushed 5-8 times to ensure all the contamination is gone, then new fluids put back in along with a replacement transmission. There has to be numerous complaints about this, please help!

- Hudson, MA, USA

Oct 042011

MDX 6-cyl

There is a shuddering noise / vibration coming from the engine compartment at speeds between 25-45 mph.

- Suwanee, GA, USA

Dec 222011

The contact owns a 2004 Acura MDX. The contact was traveling 50 mph when the transmission exhibited a grinding sound as the vehicle independently decelerated and came to a stop. The contact did not have the vehicle inspected. The failure and the current mileages were 90,000.

- Demoine, IA, USA

Sep 232011

MDX 6-cyl

Major issues with my transmission shuddering and vibrating on my 2004 Acura MDX. Had Honda review the vehicle was told I needed to replace transmission and torque converter and that this was a known issue. Called Acura and now I'm here......

- Holden, ME, USA

Jun 012011

MDX 6-cyl

Another 2004 MDX transmission issue.jutter occuring between the speeds of 25-45 claims this is not under warranty any longer(100,000 miles on car) and there have been very few complaints on this problem.after taking the issue of needing a new transmission to corporate, I was told they would cover only a portion of the cost. My portion would be $2500. This is absurd. Acura knows full well that a problem exists and should stand by their vehicles. They have certainly lost me as a three time buyer of their vehicles.

- Howell, NJ, USA

Jul 062011

Shuddering in transmission between 35mph and 45mph and lack of power. Took it to the dealer and they said Honda has a service bulletin on it.

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Mar 082011

I have a 2004 Acura MDX. There are about 77,000 miles on it. Vsa, vtm-4, ABS, and airbag lights keep flashing. So I took it to my Acura dealership and they told me that after diagnostic that the rear differential failed. I believe there is something wrong with the wiring of all MDX in or around 2004. There has been numerous reporting of rear differential failures in 2003 and 2004 Mdxs. Acura should take a look into this and maybe do a recall. This is very dangerous because the transmission makes a loud noise and slows down when you are driving almost as if the transmission was about to go out.

- Wa, WA, USA

Jul 062010

MDX 6-cyl

After backing out of my driveway and shifting the car into D5 the transmission would not engage and was completely slipping. After shifting to a lower gear I was able to get the car to drive and then shifted back into D5. Upon slowing and then trying to accelerate again the transmission again completely failed to engage and hat to be shifted into the lowest gear to re-engage the transmission. Also, on several occasions while trying to pass other vehicles the transmission would again completely slip. Also at points where I would enter traffic from a side street or parking lot as I have tried to enter traffic at an opening the transmission would fail to engage which has created very dangerous situations where we have almost been in a very bad accident.

- Parrish, FL, USA

Aug 082010

2004 Acura MDX torque converter issue. I can feel/hear the vibration/shudder/grinding between 20-50 mph while maintaining the steady speed with light load. The same issue happened once when the vehicle was at around 45000 miles. The dealer replaced the torque converter under warranty. However, the same issue came back at around 75000 miles until now at 93000 miles. It was only noticeable at around 30 mph, but now can be noticed between 20 and 50 mph.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Apr 112008

My complaint is about my 2004 Acura MDX the torque converter makes the grinding noise that most owners are dealing with I feel that Acura has not accept responsibility for this defect.

- Manchester, CT, USA