NHTSA — Electronic Stability Control Problems

2005 Acura MDX brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Acura MDX:

2005 Acura MDX Owner Comments

Apr 162013

MDX 6-cyl

I am writing because I just received a safety recall notice from Acura relating to: NHTSA action number : EA13002. My daughter was involved in an accident (she's ok!) where she had to swerve to avoid an oncoming car that had drifted into her lane rounding a left hand bend. Our 2005 Acura MDX went out of control despite her attempts to control the vehicle, which she did after it had blown out two tires. Could her braking and swerving result in the subsequent over correction of our MDX and be the result of the vehicle stability assist control module malfunctioning as described in the recall notice from Acura.

- Holliston, MA, USA

Feb 102010

MDX 6-cyl

The brake will apply on its own and the brake lights will not come on because you don't press the pedal which would trigger the brake switch to turn the brake lights on. This is a very serious issue as it has happened to me numerous times at high speed. Note I sent to Acura during the uncommanded brake issue, it describes the issue etc.. this is , I had brought my 2005 MDX which I bought new from you back in 2005 in for the uncommanded brake application issue on Feb 10th 2010. As you know when this issue happens the brake applies itself when my foot is on the gas pedal and sometimes the vsa and ! light come on and sometimes they do not. On the 10th I drove the car with you mechanic and we had a brief experience of the issue but because of traffic I had to apply the brake and when my foot was off of the brake it still applied itself and then released and then applied again without me touching the pedal. The most serious of the issues is when my foot is on the gas and the brake applies itself. On that day your mechanic did a bunch of tests from the service manual for dtc 66 & 68 including: -- "the jiggle" test to see if something was loose and would trigger a code -- battery test for voltage -- ground connection to body clean and reset -- vsa connector was taken off and put back on -- codes were reset there is more but the length is greater than allowable maximum of '1,901'.

- Hopewell Junction, NY, USA