NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2007 Acura MDX (Page 2 of 2)

2007 Acura MDX electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Acura MDX:

2007 Acura MDX Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Feb 012012

MDX 4WD 6-cyl

My wife went outside of our home to get into her Acura 2007 MDX to go to work. When she started the vehicle up, it started shaking and blowing out white smoke from the exhaust pipes with an unusual noise. She turned the vehicle off and called our insurance company which sent a tow truck out to take it to the dealer. After the service representative accepted the vehicle and had his mechanic inspect it to see what caused the smoking. The mechanic informed the service representative that the air compressor malfunctioned and caused an electrical shortages. This was the reason for the air compressor why the air compressor were blowing freon into the engine and caused it to smoke when the engine started. We have never miss a service and followed the recommended required maintenance. I ask the service representative what would it cost to have my wife's SUV repaired" the price the service representative gave was an estimation of $1,900 plus labor. The service representative told me there was nothing he could because the warranty had expired and there were no recalls on this issue. Just because there are no safety record on file doesn't mean that the dealer should not look into the hazard. What if this problem occurred while my wife was on her way to work, and all this freon and smoke were released inside her vehicle and caused her to have an accident" my wife and I have purchased 4 vehicles from Acura brand new off the showroom floor. It appears to me that every time the warranty run out our cars, we begin to have mechanical issues which lead me to believe one or two things; either the mechanics are taking short cuts in performing the maintenance or the car workmanship is not what Acura say it is. The way that I feel about my TL and my wife's MDX that we will never buy another Acura vehicle.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Oct 052009

MDX 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Acura MDX. The contact stated that when adjusting the power seat on the driver side, the air bag warning light would illuminate on the instrument panel. The dealer diagnosed that the vehicle would need a wiring harness replacement. The manufacturer denied any assistance with repairs to the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 60,000 and the current mileage was 90,000. Updated 11/04/11

- Littleton, CO, USA

Sep 172011

MDX 4WD 6-cyl

Open tailgate creates electrical drain that kills the battery in a few hours with no lights turned on or any other obvious signs of battery drainage indication. The issue seems to apply only to vehicles equipped with power tailgate. Multiple complaints found on the internet reported by other vehicle owners. This is a major safety issue since people may not be able to start engine on their vehicle just after having tailgate open for a relatively short time. Acura customer relations department was contacted over the phone but refused to admit the fact of electrical design or a component issue and suggested me to have the vehicle diagnostic done at my own expense in the nearest dealership.

- Monroe, WA, USA

May 092011

While was driving the car, it shut down completely lights, no motor, ..completely dead in the middle of the freeway. I was simply driving and had not touched any buttons or dials. I was (luckily) able to drift to the breakdown lane. Approximately 45 minutes later, the inside lights turned on and I was able to continue driving. This morning, when I took the car into the dealer for service, I was told that another customer had the same problem, recurring every three weeks or so. At other times, when the car was stationary, the car would also freeze on me, and again, after waiting approx. 45 minutes, it started up. This was, for me, the first time it happened while I was driving. Mileage entered above is approximate.

- East Quogue, NY, USA

Nov 032007

Engine shut off while driving approx. 35 mph, resulting in total loss of power steering and brakes and electrical systems.. pulled over and brought car to a stop. Was in the process of getting out to check engine when interior lights came on, restarted engine and commenced to drive approx. A mile when it all repeated. Got car home and called for tow truck to take car to Acura dealership where I had purchased 1 month previously.

- Lakewood, WA, USA

Dec 282008

The contact owns a 2007 Acura MDX. The contact went on a trip and returned to find that the gps, exterior lighting, radio, and other electrical components failed. Only the interior lighting was functioning properly. The contact called roadside assistance and they discovered that the battery was drained. The VIN was unknown. The failure and current mileages were 13,000.

- Freemont, CA, USA