NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2.7

2009 Acura MDX electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Acura MDX:

2009 Acura MDX Owner Comments

Sep 122016

MDX

My MDX has only 62,400 miles and today I got a message "check starter system" due to the hfl module is draining the battery. Luckily the car was in my garage at the time. I had to charge the battery so I could start the car. All the info I have read online states the the hfl module gets real hot and can cause fire. My garage is under my bedroom. This is a part made by johnson controls, Acura needs to recall this item.

- Palos Hills, IL, USA

May 192015

MDX

Bluetooth stopped working and a few weeks later, my car wouldn't start. I replaced the battery and a few days later the car stalled on me as I was pulling out of my spot!!!!! I went to the Acura dealer and explained to the guy that my battery kept draining. He asked me if my bluetooth stopped working, I was shocked because I hadn't mentioned any issues with my bluetooth but I let him know that in fact, the bluetooth had stopped. The rep said it's a common problem in my vehicle. Had to replace the bluetooth and paid $600!!!! my friends sister has the same make car and her bluetooth stopped working and her car battery keeps going dead. It's very scary since apparently I must have started the car right before the battery died again. Imagine what would've happened if it had stalled on a highway or a busy street!

- Springfield, VA, USA

Mar 012012

MDX

Ongoing problem with 2009 Acura MDX- the check engine warning light sporadically illuminates while driving indicating that the vehicle should be brought to an Acura repair facility. The dealership service department stated that it is a faulty sensor and it is a common problem with the 2009 Acura MDX. The dealership further stated that it would be approximately $700 for them to make the repair as Acura has not yet issued a recall notice for the sensor.

- Temecula, CA, USA

Apr 202015

MDX 4WD 6-cyl

"nox sensor wiring harness chewed by mouse" per Acura dealership. There is no evidence of rodent damage or presence elsewhere in the vehicle. According to the Acura dealership, there was a problem with the prior models prior to 2009, but my particular car doesn't have the problem. The wiring has been covered by Honda rodent deterrent tape as showing in the pictures. I have contacted Acura/Honda dealerships, their extended warranty customer service and also the irrespective, Acura/Honda manufacturer customer service. The same thing happened to my other car (Honda Odyssey 2009) within a span of one week with exactly similar presentation. When I requested information from the above sources, I was told that this was confidential information and is not available for customers and that is it is a rare event and not related to manufacturing defects and also there was no definitive trend in Acura/Honda(same company) nox sensor wiring harness chewed by rodents and have refused to cover it under extended warranty program to which I have subscribed/purchased. I have another entry regarding the other vehicle.

- Austin, TX, USA

Apr 012015

MDX 4WD 6-cyl

The message center came on telling me to check the oil level and pressure. Pull over asap and have it towed to nearest dealer. This has happened several times now and each time they say its a sensor but how many can there be and how can they keep going out. When this is happening the wipers will short out as well and radio will fade in and out. This has to be a defect within the electrical.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Apr 012015

MDX

The windshield wipers would just come on and not shut off. We tried several things but the wipers would not stop. I had to take the fuse out so it cause further damage.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Nov 262013

MDX 6-cyl

Approximately 3 months ago I went to start the medic and it would not start. No lights or any other accessories were left on. The car was jumped and started. Being the car was 4 years old and I had reviews of battery problems in the medic, I had the battery replaced. About two weeks later it would not start again. It was jumped again and taken to an auto repair shop to be tested. The repair shop said the battery was weak, so it was replaced again. It's been about 2 months now and today when I went to start it, the battery was dead again. Three batteries do not go bad that quickly, there is a problem with the electrical system in this vehicle. I have noticed other complaints with this same issue on this web site.

- Cranberry Twp, PA, USA

Sep 162010

MDX

Acura MDX 2009 happened two times within 3 weeks. While driving car lost all electric, entire dashboard went dead, no headlights, no door/trunk locks, no navigation, no dvd, no radio, car stalled and couldn't be started again. Had to be towed. Second time same thing happened while approaching an intersection and trying to make a left turn. Car was towed again.

- N/A, IL, USA

Apr 232009

MDX

Car stalled while driving. Towed it to the dealer the dealer repaired the instrument panel following is the statement from dealer 'found instrument internal defective causing vehicle to stall remove and replace gauge recheck operation'.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA