3.4

2010 Acura MDX drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Acura MDX:

2010 Acura MDX Owner Comments

Dec 172015

MDX

I have been a proudly Honda/Acura customer for last 20 years. In November, my wife Acura MDX 2010 which has transmission fluid changed every 9000 miles / 1 year and less than 50000 miles on odometer suddenly had strong shudder/vibration ( like another is hitting behind or the car itself is running over the big rock) and it was struggling to go over 40 mph when pressing on gas paddle. The issue was not reproducible at dealer after we turned off and on the engine. Today on December 17 2015, the issue happened again and we were able to show to the technician at South coast Acura and the technician acknowledged it after test drive as well as noted that the transmission fluid smelled like over burnt oil. Still he still needs to perform different/additional diagnostic tests until tomorrow. The main reason that I bought MDX 2010 5 years ago is safety for my kids and my wife. If the issue is not identified and resolved tomorrow then I extremely worry about the safety for my family as they will have to continue to commute in unsafe car which cannot deliver its basic driving function normally. I hope Acura would step up to replace transmission/torque even if diagnostic test will or will not identify the root cause as I strongly believe it is a sign of bad transmission and/or converter together based on my research via online forum.

- Garden Grove, CA, USA

Oct 152011

MDX

Car shutters between 1500-1800 rpms. Also "pops" when it down shifts. Took it into the dealership and they said the torque converter had to be replaced. I was told there was only one other vehicle that they knew of that this happened to and it was also a 2010. Since then, I went online to see what if anything a defective torque converter could damage and found out there were many, many complaints for years. It appears that Acura has an issue with the torque converter that needs to be addressed.

- Kaukauna, WI, USA