NHTSA — Power Train Problems

2014 Acura MDX drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Acura MDX:

2014 Acura MDX Owner Comments

Oct 052016

Torque converter rattling type noise when accelerating at or near 40 mph, and also 60 mph. Dealer attempted fluid flush and software update to no avail. Returning vehicle back to dealer for further diagnoses and repairs.

- Homestead, FL, USA

Sep 222016

Vehicle has hesitation/stutter when accelerating from 0 to around 20mph. This is a constant problem, not a one time occurrence.

- Mooresville, NC, USA

Jul 182016

I recently purchased a 2014 Acura while it was still in its warranty period. After finalizing the purchase of a $40, 000.00, the vehicle began exhibiting mechanic issues with the transmission. So naturally, I contacted the my local Acura dealership in chapel hill, nc. I have taken my vehicle to the same dealership a total of four times for the same issue to only be told that there was not problem with vehicle, when it exhibits otherwise. With the same mechanic issue with transmission still exhibiting itself, I decided to take my car to the Acura dealership in fayetteville, nc, which is more than 78 miles from my home. The nice folks there diagnosed the vehicle and determined that it was the tort converter, which carries a price tag of over $2,600 to repair. The concern I have is that since my car is currently out of his 50K warranty period, in which the problem was reported but never properly diagnosed appropriately during the time it was under warranty, will Acura honor its commitment to it consumer and stand behind its product, as this is a common issues misdiagnosed issue (click here ) to be directed to the online form.

- Cary, NC, USA

May 202015

Unintentional acceleration and failure of collision mitigation system 2014 Acura MDX advanced. Accident occurred at a strip mall parking lot located 1 mile from my residence where I was grocery shopping. Weather 65 F sunny. Heavy pedestrian and vehicular traffic. I was parked head in diagonally. I placed my right foot on the brake pedal, placed the SUV in reverse, lifted my right foot from the brake pedal, depressed the accelerator pedal and slowly backed out of the parking space, straightening the wheels in the process.I placed my right foot on the brake, shifted to drive, and placed my right foot on the accelerator pedal and without actually depressing the pedal the engin reved uncontrollably and the SUV surged forward 100 ft at increasing speed before colliding in a domino fashion with a row of 6 vehicles pushing one of the vehicles over one of the adjacent vehicles before veering off to the side and traveling an additional 200 feet before coming to a stop.the drivers side chest and knee bags deployed when I impacted with the first vehicle.I do not remember if I attempted to brake.there were no injuries.the damages to my SUV were extensive. My insurer declared it a total loss.I have photos taken at the scene of the accident showing skid marks and the damages to the vehicles before they were moved. My insurer had my vehicle examined by an automotive technician.he concluded that I simultaneously stepped on the brake and accelerator because of the pedal ware pattern. Also the diagnostic port did not show an error code.he did not examine the event data recorder (black box). I do not agree with his conclusions. I believe I did not step on the pedals simultaneously. In retrospect I believe that I accidentally engaged one of the cruise control buttons located on the steering wheel when I was backing up and straightening the wheels.

- Marina Del Rey, CA, USA

Apr 202015

I got into a parking space, and pushed the brake but the car jumped onto the sidewalk. I removed my foot from the brake and then the car started speeding up. The car crashed through the window of an empty store. I tried to push the brake even harder but it did not work. The car finally stopped when it hit the wall inside the store. I was in a shock. Luckily, nobody was injured. I found several similar complaints on the internet but could not find a recall for a similar issue. One of the previous claims states: "Acura is claiming that no problem can be found with our vehicle." This is an extremely serious safety concern and could result in fatalities. Is there anything else I need to do in order this issue to be investigated seriously?

- Oakton, VA, USA

Dec 122014

MDX 6-cyl

All dash lights came on and power steering went. Dealership says it is okay and a misfire. 2/2/15 same thing happened, AWD, power steering, and brakes went. Then the car stopped running and wouldn't start. An hour later it started again and alarms were off. The dealership also had to replace the transmission at 4K miles. Car doesn't sense key sometimes and won't start. Locks on its own. Heated seats won't turn on/off. Car makes weird noise when making sharp turns and wheels pull straight.

- Pine Bush, NY, USA

Jul 142014

MDX 6-cyl

On July 14 2014, was driving my new 2014 MDX. Suddenly heard a noise like a flat tire. I pulled over to the shoulder and checked the tires. Didn't see any flat. Checked the tire gauge and all reading good. Continued going where I had to go and the noise came back. It sounded like dump, dump, dump. The noises come and go at various speeds. Got back home and removed the spire tire, might be loose. Drove around the block and still heard the noise again. It?S getting dark and the following day was raining. Finally got good weather. Decided to move the car into the driveway and look under the car. As I was looking I could see the left rear axle boot was twisted and grease bleeding out. I decided to crawl under the car and saw the whole differential was loose. I could shake the unit. As I look closer, I could see 3 bolts missing and 1 barely holding the differential on the chasse. I called Acura service and told them about my problem and was told to bring it in. Called roadside service and had them put it on a flatbed. The dealer is replacing the left axle and bolts. I hope nothing else will come loose and this didn't damage anything else.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Jun 052014

MDX 6-cyl

This is the fourth incident of unintended engine revving with this vehicle. This fourth incident occurred at 7121 miles. Was in "reverse, " positioning the vehicle to pull into a parking space. The engine suddenly accelerated while I was in "reverse" and my foot on the brake pedal. Had to firmly press on the brake pedal to hold the car from running into people and other vehicles behind our vehicle. Shifted into "neutral". the engine sounded like one third of full throttle. I pressed on the gas pedal and the engine returned to idle. My wife was with me during this incident. She was with me in the vehicle during three of these four similar incidents.

Feb 172014

MDX 6-cyl

This is the second incident of unintended engine revving with this vehicle. This second incident occurred at approximately 4500 miles. Was pulling out of a parking space in "reverse" and came to a complete stop with my foot firmly on the brake pedal when, in an instant, the vehicle unexpectedly revved up while I was still holding the brake pedal firmly and the vehicle was still in "reverse". alarmed, I immediately put the car into "park". the transition into "park" was not smooth and the engine RPM went even higher. It sounded like one third of full throttle. My wife was in the vehicle with me. Once in "park", we put down the windows to hear how loud the engine was revving. Still in "park", I asked my wife to watch me step on and off the brake pedal at least three times, but the engine did not return to idle. I then kicked the accelerator pedal and the engine returned to normal idle. Acura client relations had a "field representative" check my vehicle. For the second time, Acura is claiming that no problem can be found with our vehicle.

Dec 292013

MDX 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2014 Acura MDX. The contact stated that while parked, another vehicle slightly bumped the contact's vehicle and caused it to roll away in reverse and down a hill. The contact's vehicle then crashed into another vehicle. There were no injuries and a police report was not filed. The vehicle was not inspected or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 2,000.

- Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Nov 042013

MDX 6-cyl

Yesterday, after backing up, stepping on the brake pedal and coming to a complete stop, shifted into "park" with my foot still on the brake pedal. The engine unexpectedly revved up to what sounded like full throttle! I pushed the ignition button to stop the engine. After this one incident, the car has functioned normally.