NHTSA — Engine Problems

2014 Acura MDX engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Acura MDX:

2014 Acura MDX Owner Comments

May 282016

Recently faced a situation where I was traveling on a freeway @ 65-70 mph and suddenly SUV flashed a fcw( forward collision warning system). I had to apply the brakes in the middle of the freeway fearing an accident. It may have caused us to to go into a crash with a cars coming from behind. NHTSA has to look into this feature. There is some problem with the sensors of fcw

Nov 302015

Bad brake rotors at 12000 miles started facing vibration in steering wheel when MDX had 8K miles on it and at that time dealer told that its normal in my next service for oil change I told the dealer tech that I am still facing the problem and its quite significant. He stated that its rotor surface are uneven and warped and he has to resurface all 4 of these rotors. How can rotor gets warped at 12-13K miles. Its fairly new car. My concern is to replace all the bad rotors but dealer insisted that they will resurface those rotors. Resurfacing reduces the life of the rotors and then I called Acura and they assigned me district case manager and in turn they talked to dealer and final result is that they will resurface it not replace it. If the product is defective then they should replace it. I think the amount of concerns regarding 2014 Acura MDX they are receiving regarding the brakes are enormous and they should recall or replace the rotors. Engine noise/ transmission noise. While going to la from sacramento I noticed that while at 65- 70 mph there is always a whistling noise when you are stepping on gas and when you take your foot off the gas it stopped. Its annoying and defeats the purpose of buying such a high end SUV and instead of less road noise you hear whistling sound. I took it to dealer for diagnostic and they stated that its either from engine or from transmission and they have no solution to it. Update from Apr 25, 2016 this is update from last time when niello Acura could replicate the noise but there wasn't any solution to it. I called Acura hq and they set an appointment for Acura tech-dpsm on 04/21/2016 to drive and next day I get call back that they could replicate the whisling noise but the same noise also came from other 2014 model they drove. So there is no solution to it.

May 162016

The vehicle that I use for daily commute, Acura MDX, had a break down on 5/16/16. It was later towed to the Acura dealership ( Suburban Acura ). the cause of the breakdown was diagnosed as overheating of the engine due to tampering. Also, the vehicle was at the same dealership on 4/23/16 when no problem was noticed. My vehicle is always parked in a secure location at work ( monitored by veterans police at the va hospital ) and at home in a secure garage. I asked the va police if there is a possibility of tampering at work and I have been told that they would have noticed it since the area is under video surveillance. I strongly suspect that the SUV was compromised ( tampered / damaged ) during routine maintenance when it was at the dealership prior to the breakdown and the dealer is trying to deflect the issue by citing tampering as the cause. When asked if this was possible, Acura customer service ( mrs April at 800-382-2238 ext 115239 ) & the dealership ( Suburban Acura, farmington hills, mi )deny this by verbally stating that " engine heating due to this kind of tampering would result within less than 5 miles of driving and I would have noticed it on the day the SUV left the dealership when it went for routine maintenance" I fail to understand how I could drive more than 20 miles to work or back home if tampering did happen at either work or at home. Tampering of this kind apparently is only possible with special instrumentation and I fail to understand why anyone would do this. The other issue we suspect is if there is a defective part ( from Acura ) and they are unwilling to admit it to avoid liability.

- West Bloomfield, MI, USA

Mar 072016

Forward collision warning (fcw) system: Sometimes going on a smooth road fcw activates all of a sudden and flashed in the dashboard with an alarm. You have to press brakes in order to ensure that you are getting into an accident. Acura need to fix this warning system and ensure its more reliable. Brakes and rotors are warped at 13000 miles. Went to dealer and they told that it needs resurfacing. Continuous whistling noise from engine when your foot is on gas and when its off it stops. Acura hasn't been able to figure out where is the problem

Nov 052015

Vehicle has 25K miles. While driving a low speeds the car stalls out and then accelerates forward causing us to hit the breaks. I have had very close calls with accidents due to the stalling and uncontrolled acceleration. The dealer states there is nothing wrong.

- Brush Prairie, WA, USA

Nov 092013

Shortly after I purchased this vehicle in 2013, I noticed that their was a loud vibration coming from the front right driver's side near the wheel well when driving at speeds between 30 - 45 mph. This vibration would occur intermittently. When I took the vehicle back in to the Acura dealership, it was stated that they could not duplicate the issue. Two years later, the issue is still occurring and the dealership "can't duplicate". additionally, noticed that there was bubbling of the front grill chrome paint. Later it became apparent that the left front passenger window panels were warped. Didn't make too much of a fuss about either issue, but in the summer of 2015, while running my car through a car wash, the panel popped off and began flapping in the wind. Returned vehicle to dealership and the window panel was replaced. At this time, I also informed them that the vehicle had begun to start exhibiting issues upon acceleration like it was struggling to gain power. You could also see the RPM indicator began to fluctuate when this issue occurred. This was also happening between 30-45 mph. Dealer performed a diagnostic and said that they were unable to locate any issues. Driving the vehicle does not feel safe. I am afraid that it will lose power while I am driving and cause an accident. I have owned multiple Acura and the quality of this vehicle is by far the worst of any vehicle that I have ever owned.

- Hephzibah, GA, USA

Nov 262014

The car has periodically shown an alert indicating an imminent activation of the automatic braking safety system when nothing has been in front of the car. Today, it did it this morning, and then later in the morning, while driving 30 mph, the car cut off, making it inoperable and it stopped in a travel lane of a busy road. We were able to re-start it long enough to navigate off the road to a safe location, and it promptly cut off again. After that, it wouldn't run for more than 30 seconds. Every warning imaginable (power steering problem, lane keep assist problem, emission system problem, vehicle stability assist problem, hill start assist problem) was displaying on the information panel in sequential order. We had the vehicle towed to an Acura dealership for inspection/repair.

- Washington, DC, USA

Aug 012014

Hearing grinding/buzzing sound toward left front-side / engine area when driving between 20+ miles per hour. This noise is intermittent but occurs during every commute. Noise occurs quickly then goes away. When driving 2-hours in traffic, heard over 30 grinding/buzzing noises at various speeds. Noise can be subtle to audibly clear from the back-seat. This has been occurring for past month and half, and grinding / buzzing noise is audible at ever commute. At first warranty repair, dealership service rep said that this is coming a common issue for 2014 Acura MDX and it's a bulkhead cover strikers and latches issue. Replaced the part without further diagnosis. Took back to dealership second time and test drove with mechanic. Mechanic confirmed the grinding / buzzing noise. Repair did not fix the issue and grinding / buzzing noise is still occurring. Found on youtube and online 2014 Acura MDX forums that other 2014 MDX owners are having same issue.

- Yorba Linda, CA, USA

Jun 182014

MDX 6-cyl

While trying to accelerate during a left turn, the engine completely lost power and the accelerator would not work. All engine warning lights came on. We nearly avoided an accident by coasting into the center lane. I had to turn off the car and restart in order to gain the ability to accelerate again, but all the warning lights remained on. Drove it to the dealer, but they have yet to be able to determine what the problem is. This is the 3rd time this has happened - all during the first 5 minutes of driving during the morning. The last incident could have resulted in a serious crash.

- Naperville, IL, USA

Jun 052014

MDX 6-cyl

This is the fourth incident of unintended engine revving with this vehicle. This fourth incident occurred at 7121 miles. Was in "reverse, " positioning the vehicle to pull into a parking space. The engine suddenly accelerated while I was in "reverse" and my foot on the brake pedal. Had to firmly press on the brake pedal to hold the car from running into people and other vehicles behind our vehicle. Shifted into "neutral". the engine sounded like one third of full throttle. I pressed on the gas pedal and the engine returned to idle. My wife was with me during this incident. She was with me in the vehicle during three of these four similar incidents.

- Goodyear, AZ, USA

May 092014

The contact owns a 2014 Acura MDX. The contact stated while driving 50 mph, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The vehicle was unable to restart after the failure. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 3,800.

- North Woodmere , NY, USA

Apr 292014

MDX 6-cyl

This is the third incident of unintended engine revving with this vehicle. This third incident occurred at 5925 miles. Was pulling out of a parking space in "reverse" and came to a complete stop with my foot firmly on the brake pedal when, in an instant, the vehicle unexpectedly revved up while I was still holding the brake pedal firmly and shifting into drive. The vehicle jolted into drive.

- Goodyear, AZ, USA

Sep 162013

MDX 6-cyl

I have a major safety issue with my 6 month old MDX (less than 5000 miles). The car is making grinding noises and vibrates, intermittently. The dealer has dismissed my claims and made minor modifications with insulation, and hoodclips. Nothing has been done to determine the cause of the problem and they pretend that there is nothing wrong, even though the service manager has heard it on more than one occasion. The care has been brought to the dealership four times over the course of the past 6 months and they have held my car in service for over 30 days. When we attempted to pick up the car last night, there was now a new extremely loud noise with every time I attempted to brake. The on-duty sales manager heard the noise and insisted that I leave the car for service. Today, the dealership is refusing to address this new issue, and still ignoring the old issue, which was caused while my car was in their service department for the past month. The car is unsafe to drive and I feel taken advantage of by Acura. The dealership is also saying "their hands are tied." I have attempted to call their national customer service line and they have given me the run around, insisting that all of their supervisors and case manager are in meetings. How do I address this issue? please help in this matter. If you read on-line many other people are having issues with the newly redesigned 2014 MDX, produced at a new Alabama plant. Acura needs to recall this model, before people are killed on the road.

- Potomac, MD, USA

Dec 072013

MDX 6-cyl

My brand new MDX has had issues with multiple warning lights appearing on the vehicle when starting the engine. This includes check engine warning, lane departure warning failure, power steering issue and possibly additional warnings. The vehicle did this the first time when I took delivery of the vehicle and at that time, was resolved by fixing a loose plug. Then it did it again when I was supposed to pick up my vehicle for a couple minor trim repairs Saturday, December 7, 2014. The vehicle is still with service and they have yet to figure out what is causing the warning light issue. I was advised that they are in touch with Acura's tech line on this and they hope it will be resolved soon. Additionally, I completed further research on this and noted that other owners are experiencing similar problems with warning lights appearing on their 2014 MDX vehicles. Here is an online reference that I found where owners have posted comments on this:

- Milford, CT, USA