6.6

2015 Acura MDX miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Acura MDX:

2015 Acura MDX Owner Comments

Oct 182016

MDX

While driving on the highway (morning traffic moving at speed limit - 65-70 mph) I smelled smoke. Immediately following this there was a thud and then the check engine, ldw and other lights illuminated on the dash, along with audible alarm sound. Smoke was now visible, coming from the engine (under the hood). I was able to move from the middle lane to the right lane/exit lane as I knew I needed to pull over immediately. Since I was in an exit lane there was no real shoulder and I started down the exit ramp. The smoke was very strong at this point. I went to depress the brakes to slow down on the exit ramp and try to pull the car over but I had no brakes. The brake pedal went right to the floor. I had limited steering control and was driving erratically trying to keep control of the car while on the exit ramp. I tried to put the transmission in park - no effect to slow the car. I tried to power the car off - did not work. I had to depress the emergency brake to stop the car. It took over 100 feet to stop the car (luckily no other cars on the exit ramp) at which point I could pull over on the side of the road. At this point there was smoke billowing out of the engine area, smoke coming in to the car. I called 911 and they responded in about 5 minutes. After I got a safe distance from the car I could see flames coming from the bottom of the engine. From there I could see the fire start to grow in the engine compartment and once the fire dept arrived it was engulfed in flames. The car has been deemed a total loss by my insurance company. This is a very concerning situation as the car had a major, catastrophic failure with essentially no warning, including complete loss of braking and significant loss of steering, followed by a fire. The car had less than 12K miles and was about one year old. No issues or service other than standard maintenance.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

May 042016

MDX

I want to know if there is a recall on my 2015 Acura MDX for the takata airbags. I have not been notified about this clutch bolt from the air condition unit corroding that needs to be replaced.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Nov 112015

MDX

On November 11th 2015, it was a sunny morning in northern Virginia and I was in my 2015 MDX driving to work. After I passed a toll booth, I heard a huge "gunshot" like explosion from the roof and realized the moonroof glass got shattered. Very scary! it was veteran's day, sunny and no traffic. I'm pretty sure no one hit me or I hit anything else. And I did not see any rocks falling/bouncing around me car nor any cars were close to mine. I immediately took pictures after I parked car in my office building. The glass is actually pushed/curved out, meaning it is a sign of explosion from inside due to the poor quality of Acura's thin moonroof glass. Total cost of replacement is $830. I have already filed a claim to Acura customer relationship, claiming they are responsible to cover this. They are supposed to get back to me by Nov 19th. My car is less than one year old, Acura rejected to cover this under warranty initially, so I had to file this claim and fight for this horrible experience. If they end up rejecting to reimburse me, I will definitely avoid any cars made from Honda going forward and share this experience with anyone I know. Terrible car quality and I hope the customer service will not disappoint me. I really hope anyone else who experience similar accidents can post a complain here or go something further so that our voices will be heard and they can eventually turn this to a manufacture defect issue and start a recall.

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Oct 092015

MDX

We have sporadic problems with engine or transmission and the dealer has not been able to identify the problem. It happens at any time slow or fast speed: Uphill or downhill the car will not change gears and starts to pull as if the transmission is going to fall out. We have reported this to Acura customer service and results were guarded. I am afraid for my and my family's safety because the problem continues and it happens anytime and anywhere. It happened today and we called the dealer to come and pick up the car.

- Woodbine, MD, USA

Aug 192015

MDX

I receive a recall notice for my Acura and it's been past 60 days and they have not done anything about it/ when I called the last time they said they dont have the parts yet and will call me if they got it/ never heard from them

- Cordova, TN, USA

Oct 012014

MDX

1.tail gate issue: After purchasing the brand new Acura MDX, next morning I saw tail gate was open by itself. I assumed I might have unknowingly pushed the wrong button. Few weeks later, my wife saw the tail gate open in her garage. We again thought something on our end. Few weeks later, my wife's co worker sends her text showing the tail gate being open, while my wife was not present in the building. In one occasion when I was at target, I came out saw my tailgate open. At least 8 occurrences had taken place in last 8 months. And Acura has been unable to locate the issue. 2.body issue few months later we noticed the vehicle's exterior started to separate from its body. We took the car to the Acura mcchurchill, fortworth. They said there was an issue with how manufacurers applied the glue. And promised the root problem is recognized and fixed. After 2 weeks, the interior was separating out from the body. We have our child in our car, at this point we did not feel safe to drive this vehicle. We took the car to Acura mcchurchill, forthworth, they acknowledged the issue. We requested them to exchange our car to any other used car, same year make/model/mileage.the representative said they have 2016 model, we can leave our car and buy new car. By that time they had clearly seen our fear of driving the old car. They took advantage of the situation and provided option-either buy a new car or take the unsafe car. The statement their sales representative made was "someone has to take the loss, we cant take it all" kbb value was $40,000. They gave us $34000 as the trade value.they kept saying "you are getting 2016 car" but the price difference between 2015 and 2016 is only 150 dollars. And we did not need a new car. We just needed a safe car. We didn't have any other choice except buying new car and be safe on the road.

- Euless, TX, USA