NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

1997 Acura TL electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1997 Acura TL:

1997 Acura TL Owner Comments

Jul 052008

My 1997 Acura TL 2.5 spontaneously burst into flames in the area of the starter. This was clearly an electrical problem.

- Washington, DC, USA

May 092006

My 1997 Acura TL has been acting up. It would stall periodically without any warning (I.e when I was going on the highway, the car ran just fine; but all the sudden I lose power and the car stall. It also happen when I took the inside road.) when I tried to restarted the car. It wouldn't started. I waited 10 minutes later, it started, but only to stall again after 5 minutes.) I had to have tow it to my mechanic but the car started fine when he tried it. He ran a computer diagnostic test but couldn't not find any thing wrong with it. The car work fine for about a week; then it start stalling again. I have to wait from 10 min to an hour sometime for the car to start up again. This problem has cause me to almost get into several wrecks and made other drivers angry at me. I called the dealer and they said my car has some recalls which previous owner had already had it fixed. I do not have the money to bring it to my dealer. And I cannot figure out what is wrong with it.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

May 162005

TL 5-cyl

There was heavy rain the night before the incident occurred. The vehicle was parked in driveway when the consumer got up and went to get in the car and found that the driver's side door, driver side dash, and driver side seat had burned. The floorboard was damaged by dripping plastic. The only hot wire was in the door locking mechanism. The fire would not have happened if there was a fuse operational in the circuit. The battery was almost brand new, and it was almost dead. The caller stated that the only reason the fire died out was because it ran out of oxygen. The manufacturer was called, and has not returned the call. Also the caller indicated that the door lock made a noise even after the doors were locked but not all the time. The vehicle was determined unrepairable.

- Springville, CA, USA