Huge win for car owners! All TSBs to be made public. The Center for Auto Safety just made the NHTSA (US Government) make public the full text of all TSBs from now on. They are the same organization that has petitioned the NHTSA & filed lawsuits to protect car owners over exploding gas tanks & other major safety issues. Whenever you drive in your car, you are safer thanks in part to a lot of work over the years by this small but very effective consumer advocacy group.

Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety.

Steering Wheel Radio Control Malfunction Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague Notes: The 1999-2003 Acura TL has a known & widespread defect with the transmission.

Honda fixed some vehicles with a recall in 2004 by changing the oil cooler return line. To settle a class action lawsuit in 2006, Honda extended the transmission warranty on some of these Acura TL's to 93 months / 109,000 miles.

Now these vehicles are past the warranty limit, so buyer beware.


definitely annoying
Typical Repair Cost:
No data
Average Mileage:
109,500 miles
Total Complaints:
2 complaints

Most Common Solutions:

  1. not sure (2 reports)
2003 Acura TL electrical problems

electrical problem

Find something helpful? Spread the word.
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Acura TL:

Unsubscribe any time. We don't sell/share your email.

2003 Acura TL Owner Comments

problem #2

Jul 102013

TL 3.2L V6

  • Automatic transmission
  • 125,000 miles


The steering wheel controls will work after the car is warmed up (generally speaking), but either before the car is warmed up or after general use, all of the buttons will gel up and become unresponsive or confused. The "volume up" button will work fine, but occasionally it will ignore button requests. The "volume down" is the action most prone to this problem as it will typically turn up the volume instead of doing what it is supposed to do. The change station/change song/middle button will work 95% of the time and the other 5% of the time it ignores the request. Given that the car now has 130k with confidence in a very long life ahead of it, I am incredibly happy with the car itself and this minor setback is the least of my worries. It is merely something to be aware of in the future for all of you fellow TL owners.

- , Marin, IL, USA

problem #1

May 012009

TL 3.2L V6

  • Automatic transmission
  • 94,000 miles

So in my car, sometimes (and it seems pretty random) the "Volume Up" button changes the track and the "volume down" actually turns the volume up . . . pretty ridiculous, anyone out there know anything about this? Is this a common problem? Is it expensive to fix?

- , Provo, UT, USA

Not what you are looking for?