NHTSA — Electronic Stability Control Problems

1.8

2004 Acura TL brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Acura TL:

2004 Acura TL Owner Comments

Oct 212013

TL

Not sure if this is takata issue as well! or due to defective dashboard materials which have cracked severely bad! when it started they were lines hardly noticeable! now due to neglegance of the company the primary cracks are over the airbag area & have crevices across top and they are across entire dashboard" the light for airbags comes on and off at random times? the seat belt beeping indicator is not working all the time anymore! my car even though it is a 2004 is in very good shape from what other people have told me! that is of course until they see the craters in the dash of what is suppose to be a higher end nice model car that should hold up better than???? this is not to mention the fact of safety? is there a possibility the airbags have dried out or became effected due to these large cracks as well as what other damage it could be causing electronically? am I going to end up in some horrific car accident due to airbag release when just driving down the interstate and then it all be my fault for sweving over in another lane and cause the accident! then it will look as if I were at fault and airbags deployed as they should have done, instead opened prematurely due to defective parts" of course this is a hypothetical situation but I would think totally plausible!!! and all due to not having recalled what everyone already knows that dashboard material on this model and others that were recalled and repaired by dealers same year models 2004-2008 for the same identical reasons! that seems like a roll of the die at consumers expense! not to mention a liability to all consumers that happen to be driving these vehicles!

- Shannon, AL, USA

Oct 312014

TL

I was driving at about 45-50 mph when the brakes suddenly came on very hard without me touching the brake peddle and the car slowed very rapidly (in a straight line) almost to a stop. The brakes were then released as suddenly as they had been applied before the car came to a complete stop. The pulses from the antilock braking system (ABS) during the braking period indicated the brakes were being applied rather than a problem with the automatic transmission. I pulled off the road to check that the transmission was still functional and that no unusual fault lights were being displayed on the dash. Since everything appeared normal I resumed my journey only to have the same spontaneous braking phenomenon occur five or six times over the next 2-3 miles. Fortunately I was close to an Acura dealer so I drove the car at 40 mph with emergency flashers on to the Acura dealer (about 3 miles away). Driving the car at 40 mph did not prompt a recurrence of these spontaneous braking episodes over this distance. The Acura dealer diagnosed a faulty accelerator position sensor and replaced the sensor assembly. There has been no recurrence of these spontaneous braking episodes over the 39 miles I have driven the car since the accelerator position sensor was replaced. I consider this spontaneous braking problem with my 2004 Acura TL as extremely serious. Had a bus, truck, large SUV or pick up truck been following closely behind me when these braking episodes occurred I think it quite likely a serious and fatal accident could have happened.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Aug 052013

TL

Several time my right brakes have completely locked up for a few seconds with no warning. This cause car to veer off to the right nearly causing an accident. This has happened multiple times and can be recreated.

- Huntington, NY, USA

May 042013

TL 6-cyl

I own a 2004 Acura TL that I purchased in April 2013. After I had the car a month it began to ride rough where the drive is normally smooth for about a day. After a day the engine light came on, then about am hour later the vsa and temperature gauge ignited, then the car would not accelerate any more. The manual informed me to restart the car in order to clear this condition, and it normally works only temporarily. This same problem may occur again the next day, couple of days or a week, but it is an continuous problem that often puts me in compromised and dangerous traffic situations. I have spent thousands of dollars at several dealers and other mechanics trying to get the issue resolved and have been told over and over that they can not detect a problem with the care or they are not codes deciphered by the diagnostics that should cause that can be fixed to relieve this condition. The dealer said that the codes are erased once the car is turned off then back on, and the dealers that say they see the codes say the codes does illustrate a problem.

- Monroe, GA, USA

Feb 012013

TL

The vsa (stability control) system on my 2004 Acura TL malfunctioned. The system would cause the right front brake to activate by itself, causing the car to severely swerve to the right. After a half-second or so, the vsa would disengage and the fault indicator would lite up on the dashboard. The Acura dealer was unable to diagnose the problem because vsa fault codes are not stored in the vehicle's memory after the car is restarted and the system automatically resets. This resulted in having to continue to drive the car until the fault re-occurred. Eventually, when it happened again, I was able to take the car directly to dealer and they were able to diagnose the car (because we left it running so as not to clear the code). The problem was traced to a yaw rate sensor in the vsa system. Acura should make this information available to dealers. This poses a serious safety problem at highway speeds and there is nothing a driver can do to predict or prevent when this problem will occur.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jun 182011

TL 6-cyl

The vsa (stability control) system on my 2004 Acura TL malfunctioned. The system would cause the right front brake to activate by itself, causing the car to severely swerve to the right. After a half-second or so, the vsa would disengage and the fault indicator would light up on the dashboard. The Acura dealer was unable to diagnose the problem because vsa fault codes are not stored in the vehicle's memory after the car is restarted and the system automatically resets. This resulted in having to continue to drive the car until the fault re-occurred. I was able to take the car directly to dealer and they are trying to fix this problem. The problem was traced to a yaw rate sensor in the vsa system. Acura should make this information available to dealers. This poses a serious safety problem at highway speeds and there is nothing a driver can do to predict or prevent when this problem will occur.

- Paoli, PA, USA