2004 Acura TL steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Acura TL:

2004 Acura TL Owner Comments

Nov 072013

TL

Top of my dash where the glovebox is all crack where the the takata inflators our

- Feasterville, PA, USA

Aug 172015

TL

I have Acura TL 2004 well maintained service on time. One day it's raining and I drive around 10 mph and after some time my steering was froze I can't move I about to get crashed then I think it might be due to steering fluid I check its almost good then I drive next few days and problem gone but again when it's raining it did same thing.im scared to drive that car in raining. It's only bad in raining I don't know why. It also has sometime airbag warning on in rain.

- Duluth, GA, USA

Jul 312015

TL

The steering shaft assembly and control arms that connect to the tie rods, sway bars and links to cv axle and I beleive rack and pinion suspension came apart from the tires and caused me to lose control of my vehicle with my child as a passenger which resulted in an accident. We are both very lucky to be alive as we were in route to travel the interstate before this crash occured.

- Palm Bay, FL, USA

May 292015

TL

The contact owns a 2004 Acura TL. While making a left turn, the steering wheel seized. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, where it was diagnosed that the power steering pump and the catalytic converter needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 08V091000 (steering). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 170,000.

- Union City , GA, USA

Feb 212015

TL

The contact owns a 2004 Acura TL. The contact stated that the vehicle was leaking power steering fluid and the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the power steering hose had a leak and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The dealer stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 08V091000 (steering). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 174,000.

- Roselle, NJ, USA

Sep 302014

TL 6-cyl

My vehicle is experiencing power steering leaks and there is a very loud whining noise when the car is started in cooler weather. I went to an Acura and Honda dealer and they noted there were no problems and the previous recall issue has already been fixed. This vehicle has had similar complaints and related recalls in the past as well as many other safety related issues and it seems Acura and Honda are simply unwilling to fix problems with their product unrelated to normal wear and tear. It would benefit consumers if this vehicle especially this year and model were more thoroughly examined by an independent third _party.

- Douglasville, GA, USA

Sep 092013

TL

Ongoing problems went to dealer told was fine. Experience leaks and noise issues was told no problem. Back to dealer was told something wrong with steering rack, power steering pump and leak somewhere. Vehicle had several recalls in past for same problems.

- Boston, MA, USA

Jan 182014

TL

Problem with power steering hose leaking causing smoke underneath the hood. I read on Acura website that there was a recall for the power steering hose leaking for 2004-2008 Acura TL. I am experiencing this problem and read it can cause a fire underneath the hood.

- Jax, FL, USA

Nov 282010

TL 6-cyl

2004 Acura TL power steering fluid leak. Dealer stated not related to recall regarding power steering hose problem which was apparently repaired under recall already. Acura dealer repaired power steering pump and charged over $600 for repair. Felt like there was no power in steering, loud noise grinding when starting engine and for period while driving at beginning of driving each time.

- Cherry Hill, NJ, USA

Apr 122010

TL

I had replaced the steering hose for my 2004 Acura TL more than 3 times because it is damaged and the power steering fluid was leaking which seem very unusual compare to other car that I know.

- Chino Hills, CA, USA

Dec 042008

TL

My 2004 Acura TL had a recall on power steering fluid leak in spring of 2008 and in December of 2008 I had to get my car repaired for that reason and the Acura dealer never reimbursed me for that expense eventhough it was a recall.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jul 202005

TL

I have owned this 2004 Acura TL since Jan. 2004. It has been at the dealership on at least 4 occasions due to a significant vibration. The vibration is most noticeable at about 60 mph. One can feel and see the steering wheel vibrate. The dealership replaced the tires (at no charge) with less than 20,000 miles due to premature wear. However, the vibration problem has never been corrected. In reviewing web sites it appears the vibration problem I am having is not an isolated incident, but one common to many Acura TL owners. It seems that Honda has an obligation to identify and correct the problem.

- Floyds Knobs, IN, USA

Dec 012004

TL

Serious vibration in 2004 Acura TL. Vibration in the steering, seats and floor pan. Replaced and rebalanced the tires three times. The vehicle vibrates between the 52 and 58 mph regardless of gear selection. The consumer stated that the vibration is so annoying that he avoids that particular speed range. Michelin xgt Z4's were installed on the vehicle and the vibration continues. The consumer requests information on what to do before initiating the lemon law process. The consumer was told that this problem will most likely cause premature wear of various suspension components and tires.

- Washington, DC, USA

Dec 292003

TL

I purchased a new 2004 Acura TL last December. From the get go, the car has continuously pulled to the left. This car has been taken back 5 times to the dealership, tires replaced and still it pulls to the left. We have notified Acura and a rep. Came in but we were told that when we purchased the car I signed a document releasing Acura from the "lemon law" I also consulted an attorney as well as wave tv 3 troubleshooter and was given this web site to log our complaint. We have all documents pertaining to how many times it has been worked on. This car is very much a lemon. In the first few months the blower for the heat also had to be fixed. Basically the rep. From Acura came here and said there is nothing he could do for us. Needless to say I am angry. This has never happened to me before. And I was not aware that Acura was exempt from ky's lemon law. Please help this car is a hazard for the continous pulling to the left.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Aug 162004

TL 6-cyl

While making a right turn the vehicle turned left on its own. The consumer applied the brakes, but the pedal went to the floor and the brakes locked up on the vehicle. This caused the consmer to loose control of the vehicle and hit a curb. Both driver's and passenger side air bags did deploy. The driver had the vehicle towed to the dealer for inspection. The mechanic informed the driver that the control sensor solenoid switch needed replacement. Please fill in additional information.

- Canoga Park, CA, USA

Dec 202003

TL 6-cyl

The vsa (stability control) system on my 2004 Acura TL malfunctioned. The system would cause the right front brake to activate by itself, causing the car to severly swerve to the right. After a half-second or so, the vsa would disengage and the fault indicator would lite up on the dashboard. The Acura dealer was unable to diagnose the problem because vsa fault codes are not stored in the vehicle's memory after the car is restarted and the system automatically resets. This resulted in having to continue to drive the car until the fault re-occured. Eventually, when it happened again, I was able to take the car directly to dealer and they were able to diagnose the car (because we left it running so as not to clear the code). The problem was traced to a yaw rate sensor in the vsa system. Acura should make this information available to dealers. This poses a serious safety problem at highway speeds and there is nothing a driver can do to predict or prevent when this problem will occur. Since my sensor was replaced, the problem has not happened again.

- Pleasanton, CA, USA