2.5

2006 Acura TL brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Acura TL:

2006 Acura TL Owner Comments

Oct 312014

TL 6-cyl

Vsa modulator control unit on 2006 Acura TL is leaking air into the brake system making the pedal soft which can lead to poor braking and cause accidents. I narrowly escaped an accident a few weeks ago. Acura has known this issue for long time and has even published a technical service bulletin (07-041) but has not recalled the vehicle to replace this part. This has been an ongoing issue with a lot of Honda and Acura vehicles but there has been no enforcement. NHTSA should look into this issue and force Honda/Acura to recall these vehicles.

- Sugar Land, TX, USA

Feb 262014

TL 6-cyl

ABS kicked in when braking on an icy downhill. This is the first time ABS has ever engaged on this car. After releasing the brake pedal, brakes became extremely soft and travel much farther towards to the floor before brakes engage. Pumping them does not return brakes to normal operation. Research uncovered a technical service bulletin (tsb) with Honda/Acura aware of this problem. Acura service bulletin 07041. It appears this should be a recall given the danger this poses (loss of braking power). Recommendation is to replace $900+ vsa modulator. Ridiculous.

- Washington, DC, USA

Jan 012006

TL

Early on I noticed that the brakes in my 2006 Acura TL had a relatively soft feel in operation. Indeed, from the first day of ownership of the brand new car I'd been surprised at the difference from my previous car -- a 1995 Nissan maxima -- which had solid feeling brakes. I attributed this softness to the new car's greater weight -- the brakes did after all, stop the car. But they never felt truly secure. In the last 2 years, the softness progressed slowly at first, and then worsening with an increasing rate of decline. At the start of July 2013, I was alarmed to find that I needed to pump the brakes for them to engage and stop the car. On 7/3/2013 the mechanic I saw found that air was in the lines, and that this apparently had let the right rear pads stay in contact with the disc requiring servicing of that portion of the system. He alerted me that a defective brake modulator problem was known to affect many Tls of that time period. As it is an expensive part and not yet recalled, we opted to bleed the lines and fix the other damage hoping it would turn out that the line had simply leaked somehow. The drive away was the first & only time I've ever felt solid brakes on this car. But before I'd reached my home 10 miles away, they'd become spongy. By the next day I needed to pump them. Clearly, the modulator is introducing air to the lines. I essentially set the car aside while deciding whether I should replace it or fix it. I'm about to replace the modulator at my expense as I've decided I'm not prepared to buy a new car after all, but the brakes must be made safe. Acura has issued a bulletin, but they've not accepted responsibility for selling new cars with a defective part that completely fails, eventually. The problem they've imposed on the public is serious. Please don't wait for there to be a death before requiring a recall of the part by Acura. Thank you.

- South Salem, NY, USA

Dec 062012

TL 6-cyl

I was driving down the highway at ~60+ mph in traffic and tapped the brakes. The car lurched and almost came to a dead stop (I later learned that the automatic transmission had shifted into 1st gear). This happened 2-3 other times as I tried to move over and get out of the traffic flow w/O being able to fully deploy the brakes. I had to "coast" to a stop. The force of the lurch was enough to throw me forward in my seat. I feel very fortunate that the airbag didn't deploy and that I was able to move to the shoulder without incident. The loud clunk that the car made when this happened made me think I had hit a huge rock or something in the road. Beyond scary. I am the only owner of this car and it has been 100% maintained by the dealer.

- Austin, TX, USA

Aug 012012

TL

I own a Acura TL 2006 car, the driver side rear wheel's brake caliper has failed and it does not retract the break piston therefore the brakes always being applied. This is causing the wheels to be super heated and severe burning smell coming out of the car's rear area. Having talked to the dealer, I was told this is a safety hazard but they will not fix it unless I pay $350.

- East Windsor, NJ, USA