2006 Audi A4 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Audi A4:

2006 Audi A4 Owner Comments

Mar 042008

I have the A4 w/ 3.1 liter V6. Almost immediately after purchase, transmission exhibited bumpy lurching start from stop. Audi diagnose said that's symptomatic of this transmission and engine combination. Nothing could be done to prevent. Within 1st year, the car would stall and completely shut down, necessitating a re-start. Sometimes upon start, and most notably (and the example cited above) when driving at slow speed. (I suspect the stall problems described relates to the lurching transmission problem). On this incident there was no check engine light. Took to Audi, they couldn't identify problem. I took to an independent -- they determined problem as fuel pump. Replaced fuel pump. Most recently the car stalled when initiating a left turn from a slow 10-15 mph roll. As I slightly depressed accelerator, car stalled in middle of left turn -- had to re-start mid-turn to restore power steering and finish turn (turn was down a slight incline so car was able to coast). This happened around 2/15. I took it to Audi, the following day. They said because there was no check engine light they couldn't diagnose. I called Audi usa -- they offered no solution or database research of problem w/ other audies. A similar occurrence was 8/14 when I exited freeway and as I rolled to a stop, @10-15 mph the car stalled. Had to be restarted. No check engine light. I may have taken to dealer but don't recall. My concern is the safety risk if this occurs with my wife driving and an oncoming car is unable to stop if the vehicle stalls in similar manner in the middle of a left turn. Could cause serious accident.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Mar 182014

The contact owns a 2006 Audi A4. The contact stated that while waiting at a traffic stop, the transmission slipped out of gear without warning. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where the technician diagnosed that the gear box mechatronics unit needed be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 88,000 and the current mileage was 88,200.

- Glendale , CA, USA

Aug 012013

A4 4-cyl

In October 2006, purchased a new 2006 Audi A4 from carousel Audi in golden valley, mn. The car was well maintained and has less than 62,000 miles today. In late summer of 2013, I began noticing that the car jerked heavily when putting it into reverse from a parked position. The car has an automatic transmission and I then began noticing the car not accelerating properly and laboring when nearing 50 mph on the highway. The motor would rev up and make an unusual sound and it was too dangerous to drive on the highway. I brought the car to the Audi dealer and they advised me that the transmission and computer module were not communicating properly and that it needs a new module at a cost of about $3800. They refused to pay for any of the repairs. When I asked both them and Audi North America about a class action lawsuit regarding similar problems with 61,000 other Audi owners across the U.S., they refused to discuss the matter. I believe that Audi has knowingly made and sold a defective vehicle that is dangerous and poses great risk to its owner and other drivers on the road. I believe that Audi should be forced to stand behind their product and recall vehicles with this well documented defect and pay for my repair as well as for other owners who have similar problems.

- Plymouth, MN, USA

Apr 022013

Purchased the vehicle in March 2012. Approximately 4 months later the "check engine " light came on. Had the codes checked and main code came back P0722 which directed me to a "dealership only" repair. It was told to me that the tcm was bad and needed replacing. I find out Audi initially used a faulty plastic part that they were aware of would fail. I called Audi usa for assistance and they worked out a 15% discount with the dealership and no assistance from Audi usa. I informed them that I still feel very strongly that if this is a continuing problem with Audi transmissions then they should cover full cost of this problem.

- Johns Creek , GA, USA

Aug 032012

A4 4-cyl

Our 2006 Audi A4 has a failed mechatronics unit at 85,000 miles. The car does not shift correctly and experiences fluxuating RPM while driving. The cost to repair is over $5000 on a $15,000 vehicle.

- Hudsonville, MI, USA