2.9

2006 Audi A4 lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Audi A4:

2006 Audi A4 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 8)

Jul 162012

A4 4-cyl

I was driving home and right headlight started flickering, almost like a strobe light then all of a sudden the light goes out then comes back on by its self. Then goes back off and stays off so I pull off the road. I look at the light and it is still out. I turn my lights off then back on and it works like new, but it keeps happening. This is very dangerous. What happens if both light goes out and this happens, its the manufacturer fault not mine. There should be a recall or do something about this before someone gets hurts, or lose their life.

- Warren, OH, USA

Jul 162012

- Warren, OH, USA

Jun 222011

A4 4-cyl

This appears to be a common occurrence with all Audi A4's with hid xenon lighting. At approximately 50,000 miles many owners report flickering headlights and then within seconds either left or right or both headlights will stop functioning. This always seems to happen during the first 5 minutes after startup. The appropriate error will come on the Audi information system "left headlamp dipped" or right. I have learned that turning the headlamp switch to off and turning the lights on again resets the issue. This may occur up to 5 times or more before the lights work normally. This can be a very dangerous situation at night in poor visibility when both lights go out. My Audi dealer "Audi of rochester hills" in Michigan charged me $80 to inspect the situation and said I would need to spend an additional $650 approx. To fix the problem. To this date I live with the problem and read too many internet blogs about Audi A4 owners that spent the $650 to find the problem not resolved. www.audizine.com/forum/archive/index.php/T-332613.html I am hoping that my complaint is not the first and the nhstb will do an investigation.

- Fraser, MI, USA

Jun 222011

- Fraser, MI, USA

A4 6-cyl

The issue initially started with both head lights flickering and the Audi dealership stated it may just be an issue with the xenon bulbs. Not long after, the passenger side headlight would flicker and go out prompting a "right head light dipped" message. This only seems to happen when the vehicle is in motion regardless of the speed. The only way to get the right head light to work again is to shut the lights off and back on. This is very dangerous especially since I am not able to pull over every time to turn the lights off and on. Until about 2 months ago, it was only the passenger side head light but it turns out the driver side light is doing the same. Twice now I have had both head lights go out completely while driving on a busy highway. There is a service bulletin tsb 2013829/3 but Audi will not do a recall on the head lights. This has become a serious issue as I no longer feel safe to drive my vehicle at night.

- Crystal, MN, USA

- Crystal, MN, USA

Jun 082012

A4 4-cyl

While driving at night, at highway speed, the driver side headlight dipped/lowered. The headlight went dark then turned off. At the same time the passenger side light started to flicker, and seemed like it was about to fail also. I immediately pulled to the side if the road, as I could not see the road. After some trouble shooting I turned off the headlight switch and turned is back on and the drivers headlight returned to normal. The passenger side still flickers and vibrates. This appears to be a major safety concern as my headlights went off at night.

- Denver, CO, USA

Jun 082012

- Denver, CO, USA

A4 4-cyl

The headlights flicker and turn off. The first time was leaving the driveway, but it happens constantly if driving at night.

- Arlignton, WA, USA

- Arlignton, WA, USA

May 012012

A4 4-cyl

Having a huge issue with my 2006 Audi A4 2006 S-line us spec, I keep getting headlight dipped on the left and right headlight and this happens 4 to 5 time on my drive to and from work. I'm stationed in germany and have to use the auto bahn and sometimes drive around 100mph with traffic and when my headlights go out its very dangerous not only for myself but the other drivers. This issue is happening to loads of Audi drivers. The xenon bulbs have been replaced once and they still have the same issue and the bulbs are not cheap and not the issue like Audi says. The Audi dealership had no idea what was wrong with my lights until I was able to take a picture of the left and right headlight out on the dash. They said to replace the light bulbs which I have already done and don't want to get ripped off. Audi needs to have this issue fixed asap before it kills someone.

- Apo, AE, USA

Mar 082011

A4

My left head light turns off by itself and I get the "left dipped headlight" warning. The light comes back on if I turn it off and turn it back on but it'll go out again. I talked to the Audi dealer and told me to change the light bulb (which would be around 500 dollars). But the light bulb isn't out. It still turns on. So they told me that I might need to change the whole light assembly which would cost me around 1500-2000 dollars. After doing a few researches on the internet, I saw a lot of people are having the same problem as me and neither of the methods the dealer suggested would solve the problem. Please investigate on this.

- Hanover, MD, USA

Mar 172010

A4 4-cyl

For the past 12 mounts my Audi A4 is having a constant dipped headlight warning while driving at night. Most occurrences are with the left headlight but there are times where both headlights have gone out completely putting me in a very dangerous situation and I have had a couple of close and deadly accidents. I want Audi to take responsibility for this issue and cover all associated cost to resolve this problem.

- Murrysville, PA, USA

Oct 012010

A4 4-cyl

Passenger side head light started flickering and would go dim. Control panel in car gives warning the head lamp is dipped. As time went on head light would go out completely. Roughly several months later both head lights would flicker for a while and then both go out completely. When the head light switch is turned off and then on the lights will come on. Unfortunately this only last a few minutes and they both go out again. I drive on rural roads so there is no street lighting at night and little to no shoulders to pull off the road. Losing both head lights is very scary. Turn the head light switch off and on while driving at 45 mph every few minutes makes for a long drive home. Dealers claim they have no knowledge of the issue. I started off driving a 1963 covair which was supposed to be unsafe at any speed; it never had the headlights go out. Can the NHTSA help us all out and get the news out to Audi that there is an issue.

- Waterloo, IL, USA

Mar 012011

A4

My headlamps fail while driving. The headlamps, both right and left, will "dip". this will turf the lamps off. When I take it to the dealer they tell me that they can't make it happen so they can't fix it.

- Portland, OR, USA

Aug 012011

A4 6-cyl

The left xenon hid headlights on my 2006 Audi A4 is constantly flickering and going out. You need to turn it on and off several times for it to stay on, but only for a short period of time. Very annoying and dangerous. Sometimes both headlights will go out at once, essentially limiting my visibility. As stated in other complaints filed, this is a serious safety issue and it is extremely frustrating.

- Pasadena, MD, USA

Aug 012008

A4 4-cyl

Hid headlights go out while driving the car. Operator must shut off headlight switch and turn back on for headlight to go back on. This happened to the left headlight at 50,000 and the right at 90,000 after dealer put in a waterpump. Dealer denied responsibility, not covered under warranty price form repair >$700.

- Lowell, NC, USA

Feb 132009

A4 6-cyl

The headlights of my 2006 Audi A4 quattro has this annoying -- and dangerous -- problem: 1. the headlight flickers (sometimes the left, sometimes the right, sometimes both). 2. it then turns itself off 3. the message "left/right dipped headlight" appears 4. the message is changed to a sign indicating that the lightbulb has failed. If I turn the light off (note: We're talking about driving at night on a dark country road here) and turn it back on again, the light will become normal again, for about a few minutes and then the cycle repeats itself. This problem is intermittent. Last night I had to turn my headlights off and back on again ten times while driving in the rain in heavy traffic. My Audi dealer said that Audi knows about this problem but doesn't know how to fix it -- changing the light bulb doesn't solve the problem. Go on the internet and do a search for "Audi dipped headlight" and you will find an infinite number of people having this very dangerous problem. Does someone have to die before the problem gets the attention it needs?

- Harpers Ferry, WV, USA

Feb 012012

A4

The xenon hid headlights on my 2006 Audi A4 are constantly flickering and going out. I've tried turning them off an on several times and no luck, they continue to go out. Sometimes both headlights will go out at once, essentially limiting my visibility.this has been going on for over 20,000 miles and no solution from Audi has been given so it is essential that this issue be resolved through a recall, considering several people are experiencing the same issue. It is a serious safety issue and it is extremely frustrating.

- Williston, VT, USA

Oct 012011

A4 4-cyl

Flickering headlights. Headlights flicker or fail, especially in cold weather. Numerous people on internet have complained about this same problem and the dealers charge ridiculous prices for attempts to fix it. Clearly, there is a flaw in design from Audi and also a big safety issue. Please help. Thank you.

- Grafton, MA, USA