2013 Audi A5 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Audi A5:

2013 Audi A5 Owner Comments

Aug 202015

While approaching a turn I slowed down, another car came around the right side. My car wasn't resoonding I wasn't able to bear right around curve and went across road and up hill. Approaching hill felt like I didn't have power steering, I took 2 hands and grabbed the steering wheel and forced myself to go down, brakes seemed useless.. car went down hill. I put foot on my brake because I was in head on traffic on a small back road. I then put car in reverses, it jerked back to straighten car up, and straighten up car- drove up to light shaken up, pulled over to shoulder - no shoulder the back road at it was about 10 pm weeknight... I looked at the drivers front end that made contact and it looked ok- just scrapes... I drove home and woke up to flat tires in am. I took my car to Audi turnersville- automall. I told them of safety concerns- they finally on Wednesday ran a scan- no TPMS illuminated or defualt light- I was lied to and told it did, until I asked to see report. Service dept. Tighten my drivers door that was loosened by impact before ins company saw the car. Audi Corp sent a engineer and I was told they would go over my report and concerns, I was treated horrible by dealership, they worked on my car without calling me first, tired to remove car from dealership to take to another collison center and I was told it was already on the lift and Audi would be there for my safety concerns on Monday/ I never authorized Audi to look at my car- I was told. I was given a hand typed report - 2 days ago that my car is safe... only malfunction code TPMS came on in April. Audi would allow me to speak to the Audi rep while he was here from Michigan and still has refused to answer my concerns on the original 26 page report I have from service, my ignition key sticks occasionally, my rear back up camera delays at times- default found drivers head restraint "?"

- Pitman, NJ, USA

Aug 062013

While turning the steering wheel, there are spots that seem to stick around the 11 and 1 O clock marks. This problem comes and goes, independent of speed. Now the car seems to have trouble correcting out of a turn and must be manually turned back to center. The problems seem to be getting worse.

- Sparta, NJ, USA

Apr 242015

Vehicle is difficult to steer at all speeds--problem can be intermittent or persistent--making it difficult to anticipate ability to navigate a turn. The steering wheel resists effort to turn and does not correct out of a turn unless manually pulled back.

- Floral Park, NY, USA

Apr 172013

A5 4-cyl

This is my second contact with you. First gave me reference #10503984. There are "dead" spots in the magnetic power steering. This "feeling" has occurred from 25mph on up past interstate speeds (70). The problem initially occurred from the 11 to 1 O'clock positions where the steering wheel can be moved right to left with no response to the car. Problem has persisted and now occurs at other points in the steering motion. Contact with Audi usa customer service has only produced response from Audi of "work with your dealer". Audi does not recognize this as a safety issue, but I am failing to understand how a "steering" issued can not be safety related. Now that the problem is worsening, one has an uneasy feeling driving the car.

- West Chester, OH, USA

Mar 012013

A5 4-cyl

While driving at various speeds, there becomes a "dead" spot in the steering input. Steering wheel can be moved 2-3 inches right to left with no effect on the steering of the car itself. These incidents are unpredictable in when they occur and have been experienced from speeds around 30 mph to over 70 miles per hour. In contacting my dealer they said Audi usa is awared of problem. It has occured on A5, A4, and allroad models for sure. Presently dealers are only making a list of complaints and saying Audi is "working" on the problem. Audi usa representative told me on the phone today that Audi doe not consider this a safety issue. How can moving a steering wheel with no effect on the dynamics not be a safety issue?

- West Chester, OH, USA

Oct 152012

A5 4-cyl

At 1500 miles I developed a notchy feeling in my steering wheel at the 12 O'clock position. This notchy feel creates a need for constant correction just to keep the vehicle traveling in a straight path. I believe this is the result of the new electromechanical steering that Audi implemented in 2013 models. This problem is impacting many drivers across all model lines and I feel that this is a safety issue that needs to be addressed. I will also note that this is an intermittent issue that is not prevalent each day, however my ability to keep my car traveling in a straight path is nearly impossible when the issue arises. At interstate speeds it creates a sensation that you do not have control of your vehicle. I have reported this issue to Audi of America and have received no response or follow up. I have also had my vehicle looked at by the dealership and they are reporting that the vehicle is functioning normally. This is a serious issue that needs to be addressed before an accident or fatality occurs as a result of faulty steering components. Please feel free to read the concerns of other owners.

- West Des Moines, IA, USA