2012 Audi Q5 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Audi Q5:

2012 Audi Q5 Owner Comments

Feb 222016

Q5 4-cyl

I was driving at highway speed (~65 mph) today when traffic quickly came to a stop and I brake fairly hard. About when the car came to a stop, a "TPMS malfunction" (tire pressure monitoring system) error message came on the dash and the car could no longer accelerate, as the engine was disconnected from the transmission. The gear shift lever was in "drive", but the engine was free-revving as if the transmission was in "neutral". I shifted to "S" (sport) mode - no change. I shifted to "park" and then back to "drive" - no change. Traffic on the highway had begun moving and I was stranded, blocking traffic. After another attempt, I shut off the vehicle and turned it back on. At that point, "drive" engaged properly and I was able to drive back home safely. My vehicle has been maintained properly at all regularly scheduled service intervals. I had not experienced this issue before, but, after reading through blogs, it seems like this is an issue that several Audi vehicles have experienced over the last few years and it's not clear if Audi of America considers this recall worthy. My perspective is that this is a significant safety concern and warrants further investigation, as it is intermittent and acute. In other words, it is unpredictable / recurring and can have a serious impact if it happens at the wrong time, unlike a normal wear-and-tear issue. Thank you for taking the time to consider this incident as one that is worthy of further investigation.

- Livermore, CA, USA