2001 Buick Century brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Buick Century:

2001 Buick Century Owner Comments

Jul 092010

2009 while my sister was pulling into the hospital parking garage with my mother, driving mom's 2001 Buick Century, the brakes failed and went to the floor, no pedal, no brakes. Had towed back home. Mechanic said had rusted brake line. Thank god my mother was not driving, she would not have been able to get the car stopped. Well Friday July 9th 2010 my sister taking my mother to dr appt with car full of kids, again the brakes failed and had no brakes to stop the car. I guess the man upstairs sure takes care of mom, it sure as heck is not GM. A recall should be issued for this long known problems with the rusty brake lines. Brake lines should last alot longer than 45,000 miles. There are recalls for brake lights, how about one for these brake lines.

- Delmont, PW, USA

May 192010

Century 6-cyl

When stopping for a red light the brake pedal suddenly went most of the way to the floor and the car ends up in the intersection due to longer stopping distance. Upon inspection, the metal brake line from the ABS unit, running across the firewall to the right front wheel, has completely rusted through. All the brake fluid blew out of the brake circuit when the line ruptured during the stop. Upon further inspection, two other steel brake lines and the steel fuel feed line are about to rust through and fail as well. I have never seen brake and fuel lines rust through like this! nine years old. The first brake line mentioned runs along the fire wall, right behind the exhaust manifold, as such, it has a fiber heat shield wrapping around it for about two feet and this is where the worst rust occurred, conveniently hidden from sight. I suspect the heat shield material held moisture, leading to the rust. When discussing this problem with a mechanic at the GM dealer, he said, "I see this all the time." I know corrosion resistant materials are available to prevent this. I have never seen this happen on all the foreign cars I have owned. To make matters worse I am told that the only way to replace the brake line is to drop the subframe that holds the drivetrain, at a cost of about $1200, since the line is one of the first things to go on the body at the factory!

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Aug 292008

Our anti brake light came on and would not go off. Took it to the dealership. Was told the ABS system was faulty. Replaced the ebcm and hydraulic control unit and also replaced brake master cylinder..the brakes were fine. They charged us $2,223.14. The service done was: The ebcm and hydraulic control unit faulty. 07 brakes/ traction ctrl. 1- valve kit,1- module,2- fluid 1-,cylinder. Parts was $1,948.40, labor $401.93... this is ridiculous!. we had no problem with our brakes at all ! I came in to get the light turned off and came out with my savings gone!

- Durham, Mc 27705, NC, USA