2008 Buick LaCrosse electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Buick LaCrosse:

2008 Buick LaCrosse Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jan 302015

LaCrosse 6-cyl

I turned the key in the ignition to start the car. Immediately, a very large roar ( like an airplane) occurred just as the engine started. I turned off the ignition fearful of damage to the engine, not knowing what might happen. It would not restart. It was towed to the dealership to have it repaired. The ignition coil had ruptured, ignition module was knocked out. The cost for repair: $800+. two weeks later, the engine light lit up on the dash board display. I returned to the dealership for investigation. The second repair diagnosis repair required the replacement of the fuel pump, the oil pressure sender pump and the air injector pump ( no charge for this). Cost: $1004.81. When I tried to drive it home, the engine light lit up again so I returned to the dealership. This time there was a need to replace a emission valve.( no charge). Five days later, the engine light lit up again. Diagnosis: Code PO411, air injector pump malfunction. Will schedule repair next week ( February 14-21) this ignition coil malfunction caused electrical failures to electronic module, the fuel pump, the air injector pump, the oil pressure pump and the emission valve so far, at great cost to the consumer. More importantly, the fear is that the ignition coil rupture and resulting failure could have caused an engine fire. The sound was deafening and felt like an explosion. I have never experienced this kind of problem with any other of my automobiles. It was a frightening experience.

- Golden, CO, USA

Jul 152013

The contact owns a 2008 Buick Lacrosse. The contact stated that the key fob failed to operate the door locks. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, where it was diagnosed that all door locks and the keyless entry module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 117,000. The VIN was not available.

- Lithia Springs, GA, USA

Jul 242014

The contact owns a 2008 Buick Lacrosse. The contact stated that the rear passenger automatic door lock failed to activate. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the door lock needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Corinth, MS, USA

Jan 072015

The contact owns a 2008 Buick Lacrosse. The contact stated that the fuse box caught on fire and the flames extinguished independently. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the relay shortage needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jul 022014

2008 Buick Lacrosse. Keys got stuck in ignition after the recall was performed on the vehicle. The consumer stated prior to receiving the recall notices, the vehicle stalled and the vehicle had to be towed to a repair shop.

- Williamstown, NJ, USA

Nov 242014

Our daughter was driving vehicle with a four year old in back seat when vehicle just died with no warning. She had just turned the corner traveling 20 mph or less and had difficulty steering vehicle to curbside. She stated she could smell something burning and when my husband inspected vehicle he found melted ignition coil on cylinders 2 & 5, a blown fuse, and when taken to mechanic because it would not fire a bad ignition control module. Needless to say it was a very expensive fix.

- Potwin, KS, USA

Oct 012014

LaCrosse 6-cyl

While driving at highway speed approx. 55mph the orange passenger side air bag light illuminates and says the air bag is disabled. It will fluctuate between being disabled and not being disabled. The red warning light in the instrument panel illuminates also. This only seems to happen when someone is sitting in the passenger side front seat. The individuals that are sitting in the front seat are all over 125lbs.when it has happened. It continues to occur. The passengers all have their seat belts on.

- Aydlett, NC, USA

Dec 042012

LaCrosse 6-cyl

2008 Buick Lacrosse. Consumer writes in regards to GM recall# 14299.* ld the consumer stated while driving, the engine suddenly stopped and there was no power steering or brakes. The vehicle was towed to a local repair shop, where the ignition coil and control module were replaced.

- Pittsford, NY, USA

Oct 212014

The engine died without warning and would not restart. It happened shortly after I pulled out of a parking area. The mechanic said it was a cracked ignition coil that 'fried' the ignition module and corresponding wires. He also said in thirty years he has never seen anything like it. It was a very expensive repair for a vehicle with so few miles on it. Had it happened on a highway, it would have been very dangerous and the passengers in my vehicle would have been hurt or died.

- Westlake, OH, USA

Sep 262014

The contact owns a 2008 Buick Lacrosse. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V355000 (electrical system) however, the part to do the recall was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Oct 022014

LaCrosse 6-cyl

The engine died without warning and would not restart. Fortunately, I was on a quiet street and so I could stop curbside. Lights etc. Worked but power steering, power brakes, engine were all dead. The cause was a cracked ignition coil that shorted and "fried" the ignition module. This was an original-equipment part, probably a delphi GN10123 (from my internet research; I could be wrong). Had this happened on a high-speed road, the results could have been disastrous.

- Bethlehem, PA, USA

Jul 092014

The contact owns a 2008 Buick Lacrosse. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V355000 (electrical system); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The dealer stated that the part would not be available until approximately three weeks. The manufacturer was not notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- White Plains, NY, USA

Aug 212014

The contact owns a 2008 Buick Lacrosse. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V355000 (electrical system) and stated that the part needed was unavailable to perform the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Pittsburg , PA, USA

Aug 102014

LaCrosse 8-cyl

While driving home from store my wife and I smelled something burning three blocks from home. We got home and I checked under the hood and the relay/fuse block on the passenger side was hot and slightly smoldering. I waited a while and the popped off the fuse block cover and saw the hdm module (according to the diagram in the manual) had melted and fused to the block. The melting and burning had also affected the surrounding relays and fuses. I immediately disconnected the battery and scraped away the burnt, fused portion of the hdm relay and visually checked the fuses which were singed or partially melted and replaced the bad ones. I do not have anything to check the relays with. My wife is on oxygen 24-7 and had a tank in the passenger front with her at the time of the incident which, if a fire had spread, could have become a catastrophic incident. After cleaning out the burnt portion of the fuse box of charred remains from the hdm module, I re-connected the battery cables and was able to start the vehicle without incident. The headlights would not work and some gauges appear to be erratic in their readings ( fuel tank and mileage). I then got online and found many 2006 thru 2011 Buick's have reported this very same problem but no recall ( to my knowledge) has been issued for this highly dangerous and possibly catastrophic issue inherent in GM and specifically Buick products. I purchased this car new and I have never received a notice or recall of any kind. I am in the process of having diagnostics and repairs done by an authorized GM dealer and will know more (hopefully) in the near future.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Jul 092014

LaCrosse 6-cyl

Engine light comes on and car goes real slow, then it wont move. Doors wont lock/unlock with remote and they wont automatically lock/unlock in park or when you start driving. Air bag light for passenger side comes on and off, when someone is sitting there. Back tires wore off on insides had to replace them. I don't feel safe anymore. Dealer said I should be notified of recalls so it can get my Buick repaired.

- Edwardsburg, MI, USA

Jan 132014

The contact owns a 2008 Buick Lacrosse. The contact stated that the air bag, ABS, and brake warning lights illuminated. The contact mentioned the vehicle failed to turn on unless the keys were jiggle in the ignition. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic who confirmed the failure. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 43,000.

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Jul 212014

LaCrosse 6-cyl

Door locks will not operate with fob remote passenger rear door will not lock/ unlock at all, other doors may or may not lock/unlock when put in drive or park. Fob will sound horn flash lights.

- Hernando, FL, USA

Jul 152014

LaCrosse 6-cyl

While driving North on alternate 69 highway at 65 mph at 5:00 P.M., my vehicle abruptly loss power even though I tried to accelerate. The engine shut off suddenly and without warning. Vehicle slowed to a complete stop. I was driving in the middle lane and was unable to get in the shoulder lane because I had no pickup (unable to give gas to accelerate) so my husband and I were caught in five 5:00 traffic with cars whipping around us on both sides and many exceeding 65 mph. I put on my emergency lights and immediately called on-star. I was unable to restart the engine. Thank god for on-star because from that point on, I was in terror witnessing cars coming upon us not slowing until they realized I was at a stand still with lights flashing. The cars would swerve to keep from hitting us. It took the highway patrol and police 15 minutes to get to us but during that time, I relived visions of us being killed on the highway. I canżżT describe the horror, looking out my rear view mirror, witnessing our demise time after time. Those 15 minutes seemed like an eternity. When the highway patrol arrived they closed lanes and assisted in pushing car out of the highly traffic lanes. It took my husband and I both to turn the steering while in neutral. The car was towed to conklin fangman kc dealership and I had to replace ignition coil and module that cost me $933.16. They said these parts were not on the recall list, which I have found out since then GM has put dealerships on notice of this problem. It has something to do with supplying enough manufactured parts to take care of recall. If I could afford to purchase another car I would because I don't feel safe any longer in this car. Emotionally I am still suffering from the trauma.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Jul 072014

LaCrosse 6-cyl

For the third time, this vehicle has died at a standstill for no apparent reason. It will be performing well until parked. After a span of time, it will not restart. When the key is inserted into the ignition, the motor will not catch or turn over, the key will freeze or lock in the ignition in the "on" position, nothing in the vehicle can be operated - gear shift, radio/player, door locks, trunk lid, etc., etc. Etc. The car is completely seized up. Inspection will disclose that battery, including brand new battery, is dead ( no voltage whatsoever). Only way to restart vehicle is to recharge battery. This has happened three times over span of 9 to 10 months. When battery is recharged, vehicle will operate for months until it is dead again. Something is draining the battery, but there no logical explanation; nothing such as radio, lights, etc., is being left on. Some auto repair people believe there is a short in the car's wiring harness; others believe the defective ignition system is at fault.

- Ruskin, FL, USA

Jun 232014

LaCrosse 6-cyl

Air bag warning light on. Diagnostic code B0092. The local dealership indicated that the passenger presence module needs to be replaced for $1,229 plus tax. According to my research on the internet, there are many other instances of this same issue. Buick needs to start standing behind their products, especially when safety is involved.

- Merritt Island, FL, USA