2010 Buick LaCrosse engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Buick LaCrosse:

2010 Buick LaCrosse Owner Comments

Jul 012016

On Friday, July 1, 2016 I was traveling down a 2 lane road with my cruise control set when my car suffered a loss of power. The engine still was running, but apparently my transmission lost the ability to power the car. I was able to park on the shoulder of the road, and eventually, towed to my mechanics shop. Yesterday I was told the problem was a faulty transmission control and it will cost me $1060 to repair. I was also told that this is a common enough problem that Buick dealers keep the part in stock.. if it is that common of a problem, and cars are losing power on the road, that is a safety issue and should be subject to recall, instead of taking hard earned money out of owners pockets to fix! I might add that this car has less than 68,000 miles on it!

- Merrill, MI, USA

Mar 182016

Over the past several months, while driving, the service stabilitrak warning light comes on; the ABS & park assist lights flash on and off; my RPM, speedometer, & temperature gauges go haywire; and the engine loses power causing the car to jerk. I never know when this will happen. On 3/18/16, I was put in a dangerous situation when this happened while driving across the state of Florida on a 2 lane highway that had no safe place to pull off the road. The check engine light also came on and stayed on thru the rest of my drive. Two days later, the drive home was incident free & the check engine light was gone. On 3/22/16 I took the car to a GM dealer; showed the service tech a video of the events happening as I was driving and a letter I got from GM regarding a possible throttle sensor problem that causes reduced power and malfunction indicator lamps to appear. The GM dealer tech said my cars problems had nothing to do with GM's letter and he was 90% sure my fuel injector needed replacing. I took the car to my personal auto mechanic for 10+ yrs, who works for a very reputable company, for a second opinion. Since the codes had been cleared by the dealership service dept and the car checked out ok my mechanic said to drive it and bring it back if the problems occurred again. It recently started happening again & my check engine light came on so I took the car to my mechanic who found multiple codes for ECM & tcm lost communication PCM malfunction & other communication issues. He drove the car and experienced what I was explaining was happening. My mechanic couldn't pinpoint the problem but said there was no problem with the fuel injection system; that it's electrical. He suggested we take the car to another Buick dealer to have it checked out. This is a very dangerous situation & I don't feel safe driving the car since I never know when the problems will start happening.

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Mar 182016

Three days ago, while on a trip from the West coast of Florida to the East coast of Florida; and while driving on the highway at 65 mph, the warning bells started dinging and the messages: Service stabilitrak, ABS, and park assist off kept flashing off and on; the car began jerking and losing engine power; the tachometer, speedometer, and temperature gauges were jumping around all over the place; and the check engine light came on. (a video of what occurred was taken to show as proof). I managed to pull off the side of the road, turned the car off and sat for several minutes, then started the car again. Less than a minute after I got back on the highway, the same events occurred again. After at least 30 minutes or more of the car continuing to malfunction while driving; it suddenly stopped giving me warning signals and engine power seemed to stabilize; however, the check engine light remained on. Once I reached my destination, I didn't use the car for two days. My return trip home, which was approximately 140 miles, was uneventful; however, the very next morning on my way to work, while sitting in traffic on the expressway, the warning bells suddenly started ringing again, and the service stabilitrak and ABS lights came on. Fortunately I was able to make it to work and called the Buick dealer to bring my car in to have it checked. In the past few months, this problem has occurred 3 to 4 times, but each time only lasted moments and never to the extreme that it did. I received a letter from Buick about 3 months ago that pertained to such issues and loss of engine power; and the letter stated that the car should be taken to the Buick dealer and repaired at no cost. This is an extremely dangerous problem that needs to be addressed and resolved immediately.

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Apr 062015

I was getting on the on ramp for the interstate and gradually attempting to gaining speed to but my vehicle would not pick up speed.I pressed the gas pedal to the floor with no pick up. Then all of a sudden my vehicle began to pick up speed. When the vehicle got up to approximately 60 mph it began to do the same thing again I had the accelerater pedal to the floor. I could here the vehicle idling and after some time had passed it began to pick up speed again. I've had my vehicle for four years and have kept up with the maintenance at the dealer ship. I have paid for diagnostics several times at the dealership to no avail. I took it to the dealer but they found nothing wrong with it. I have taken it more than 5 times in an attempt to rectify the problem with no success. It's not a constant thing, however it is quite dangerous as well as unsettling not knowing when or where my safety may be comprised in this vehicle. This is my second Buick Lacrosse which has had problems of this nature. I was hoping my problems with my 2005 Buick Lacrosse was an isolated incident but I'm beginning to think perhaps it wasn't. maybe this can all be attributed to just poor workmanship with inferior product manufacturing.

- Bartlett, TN, USA

Mar 252015

LaCrosse 6-cyl

I was driving on the freeway this morning doing about 60mph in traffic and all of a sudden my car lost power. The dash or the dic went completely blank, but not before all of the chimes, and the caution alerts appearing and then I started to loose speed. Fortunately I was able to pull off to the side of the freeway. At that point I put the car in park after a minute I restarted it and continued to drive to work. This same incident occurred back in November of 2014. Coincidently I was on the freeway then too. But when I called the dealership back in November when this first happened they informed me that there was nothing that they could do unless I was able to recreate the issue. But of course I can't recreate the issue and now four months later it's happening again. I don't understand why there has not been a recall for this. Especially considering I have read other complaints for the same reason.

- Parma Heights, OH, USA

Feb 052015

LaCrosse 6-cyl

This is a reoccurring issue with the car shutting off completly while driving or loss of engine power.

- Marietta, GA, USA

May 152014

LaCrosse 6-cyl

I was traveling on the highway at 5:30am with minimal traffic. While traveling at 66mph, I put the car into cruise control. Then I pulled my foot off the gas pedal that placed it flat footed with me leg towards the seat. I am a short person. I have 3 house keys on a ring attached to the car key. I felt my knee touch the dangling keys. At that moment, the electrical system and car shut down. I had no power brakes or no power steering, etc. I was in the lane closest to the breakdown lane. I was able get the car into the breakdown lane and cost to a stop. (fortunately no traffic passed me until I finally stopped.) the ignition key and switch was in the on position when I stopped. I was able to restart the car by placing the car in park and restarting the car. I brought the car to the dealership. They looked at the car and found no error codes. They could not duplicate my problem. They told me I must have shut off the ignition switch with my knee. I attempted to do this an cannot turn the key off with my knee. I addition, my knee does not reach the switch without lifting it up at least a couple inches. I only brushed the bottom of the dangling house keys. 2010 should be included in the recall!!!

- Windham, NH, USA

Jun 122012

LaCrosse 6-cyl

I believe the vehicle has something that may or may not ever be found by a test drive at dealer by service mechanic. I also believe this started before the posted mileage above but I do not have all paperwork from dealership that serviced it. Vehicle will bog down after you start to accelerate on hills, around curves, at take off. Sometimes this enables traction control light but not always. I will have no acceleration for seconds and is very unsafe as the last time it did it I was coming around a dangerous curve with a dump truck behind me and couldn't speed up because had no power when pushing the gas pedal. I also had it happen as I was passing another vehicle and it all but stopped beside the vehicle I was attempting to pass. No acceleration can lead to severe injury or death depending on circumstances at time of incident. I have take to dealer more than 3 times for same issue to be told its nothing and they cant duplicate the problem. Even I know that some cars have issues that are never fixed or found! I have contacted GM to get the run around for weeks then finally be told nothing can be done because they aren't prepared to drop the engine because it may cost $4000. If I get hurt in this vehicle it is going to cost a whole heck of a lot more than that! I do not want the engine dropped I am filing a lemon law complaint and will consider a dealer buy back but I am not dropping this because I am not imagining this as the dealer said... I have read same issues online so I know I am not the first with the Buick problem. The car is unsafe so we will just let the attorneys hash this out!

- S. Bloomingville, OH, USA

Dec 012009

Quiet often, the edge of my shoe will catch on the rh side of the brake pedal when moving from the gas to the brake or vice-versa. The area of the foot impacted is near the ball of the foot. The issue seems worse when wearing dress shoes (as opposed to athletic shoes). This has raised some safety concerns for me - especially if I were to need to react quickly in an emergency situation. I don't know if the brake pedal needs to be moved away from the gas pedal laterally or if the two pedals need to be brought more into the same plane. I have submitted my concern to the manufacturer as well, and have not received feedback at this time.

- Roanoke, IL, USA