4.6

2012 Buick LaCrosse engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Buick LaCrosse:

2012 Buick LaCrosse Owner Comments

Jun 012016

LaCrosse

Since I've owned the car it's been very hard to drive on the hwy once I hit a certain speed it loses control very easy also the engine control module keeps failing loss of battery all the time I smell a burning plastic smell coming from the back of the car every so often and the front seat locks up all the time also seems to have a failure to it as well and the 2012 Buick Lacrosse I own says there no recall when I run the VIN but has the same symptoms as the 2012 Buick Lacrosse that is on recall

- Atwater, CA, USA

Apr 172016

LaCrosse

As driving at 50 miles/hr on Suburban main street, engine lost complete power. All warning lights came on at same time along with check engine icon. My Buick Lacrosse had no acceleration, no power steering, and no power brakes. The car had no previous warning. No previous reduced performance with engine. No problems with gas economy. Absolutely no warning this would happen. Car still had electricity since speedometer still reading and radio on. After turning off car and restarting no further problems. GM states no error message in computer. However, this is our second GM car to experience a reduced engine scenario. This time however, it was not reduced just completely off. This is a major safety concern! what if it occurs on the expressway with fast traffic. Luckily it was a local, but busy street, and a Sunday. I cannot believe a government Agency has not held GM accountable for this problem. A car with sudden power loss is a major public safety concern. Luckily again I'm an experienced driver with a similar incidence in another GM vehicle and knew if I hit the brakes I was a sitting duck. How can a car lose power and multiple posts on internet and no recall ? our Buick only has 30,000 miles.

- Plainfield, IL, USA

Nov 252015

LaCrosse

I noticed a few wet spots under the vehicle, but I couldn't establish where it was coming from. On 25/Nov/2015 while I was driving, the vehicle's temperature gauge suddenly went up, followed by "engine overheat" message and alarm. I was on a long bridge in a construction area, and I was forced to stop on the side in a very dangerous location. I had the vehicle towed to a repair shop where it was discovered that there was absolutely no coolant remaining. The shop mechanic added more coolant with a dye and let it run in order to find out where it was leaking from. There was no leak at all. I was told to drive home and come back the next day for a check. I went back the next day, and there was no sign of leakage. After about 1 week I started noticing the wet spots on the the ground again. This time I took it to the Buick dealer, and they couldn't find any sign of leaking coolant. I checked on the web and realized that this is a common problem with Buick. Many owners have expressed their frustration with coolant leaks whose course could not be established. I am now stuck with a vehicle that could literally go up in flames any momment. I believe that this is a potential design issue that should be established.

- Huber Heights, OH, USA

Oct 052015

LaCrosse

We have a 2012 Buick Lacrosse with eassist. When driving at around 65 mph on the highway without the cruise control engaged the vehicle door locks suddenly unlock and lock, the car downshifts and the rpms go way up and a light comes on that says "service power steering". we have taken it to the dealership at least 3 times for this issue and they say that because there is no code dropped in the computer when it does it and they don't have it happen when they test drive it, they don't know what to do. The car has 53K miles on it and this has probably happened about 2 dozen times. The entire event lasts for about 10 seconds but it is vary scary when you are crusing along at 65+ mph and all of these these events just happen, especially the high rpms, because it's like engine braking as the transmission downshifts.

- River Forest, IL, USA

Feb 212013

LaCrosse

The contact owns a 2012 Buick Lacrosse. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle decreased in speed without warning. In addition, the vehicle stalled on multiple occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the battery needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 13V173000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 27,000. Updated 02/18/15

- Montrose, MI, USA

Aug 012013

LaCrosse 6-cyl

Shortly after purchasing this vehicle I found that while rounding a corner the power dies and I lost control of the vehicle since I had not power steering or brakes. I was able to steer the car to the berm and waited until power was restored. This has occurred many times. Upon checking with the dealer I was told Buick is aware of the problem, but there is no recall. Then I began having alot of problems with the stabilitrak - the car loses power and surges. Again the dealer told me they are aware of the issues with the Lacrosse, but there was no recall and the cost of repairs was over $2000.

- Warren, OH, USA

Sep 252014

LaCrosse 4-cyl

Vehicle was excessively rough in transition between hybrid and engine power and would jerk as if someone had placed the vehicle into park while moving. Vehicle lost electrical power to ac, radio and other accessories. Vehicle shutoff and had to be stopped and placed into park before it would restart. Vehicle lost power steering and the steering would stay locked in position until the vehicle rolled about 10-15 feet or until the vehicle transitioned to engine power. These condition repeated multiple times in a two day span, the vehicle was taken to the dealer for service. The dealer replaced a solenoid and an engine mount stating they had excessive wear. The vehicle now stays running, but I continue to have issues with the rough transition between modes. My concern is that this is the root cause of the excessive wear on the other parts and that the vehicle shutdown and steering loss will occur again. If it does, the damage to property, injury, or loss of life could easily occur given the lack of drivability and loss of control of the vehicle when the condition occurs.

- Yorba Linda, CA, USA

Jun 042012

LaCrosse 4-cyl

The car was 5 months old. We were going downhill in the mountains of wv. The car seemed to lose power of propulsion and acceleration, so we coasted to a stop on the side of the interstate highway. The car would not go forward or accelerate at all, although the tachometer would move when we accelerated. This was a frightening experience because of the traffic on the highway. We could have easily been hit by a truck. The service people found no defects. For the past two years we have not lost power, but the car's transmission lurches when we stop accelerating and slow to 32 mph. This gives us a ride that is not smooth, and at times is uncomfortable. Others have reported the same issues online, and we are concerned about safety while driving our car, especially at high speeds and on highways. The GM dealership service department denies there is a defect that can be fixed.

- Evansville, IN, USA

Jun 102014

LaCrosse 6-cyl

Diesel fuel was accidentally fueled into the car at a gas station having a "hybrid" pump--one having two nozzles. While this was a mistake on the drivers part, a diesel fuel nozzle is designed not to fit into a car with a gasoline engine. This error should have been impossible. On this Buick, this is not the case. A diesel hose can be fitted into the filler pipe and left there unattended and will fill the tank. The safety danger in this is that the car will stall when the unleaded fuel already in the fuel lines runs out and the engine receives contaminated fuel. We were lucky and the car reached home first and then could not be restarted. Otherwise, the car would have stalled on the road, the power steering would have failed, and the car could easily have been in an accident. This condition cost $1145 to repair. Updated 1/16/15

- Highland Park, IL, USA

Oct 262011

LaCrosse

This incident has occurred 4 times in the 17,000 miles now on the vehicle. Each time I was driving on or off a ramp. Speed estimate 30 to a max of 40 mph. The car starts to die and I have to struggle to get off to the edge of the road so vehicles do not hit me from behind. It just loses all power but doesn't quite stall. Once I pull over, take my foot off the gas, the engine recovers and has ran fine. I do believe I caught a glimpse of the "red light" that came on 4/11 as I was going up a ramp to my doctors office. The light doesn't come on all the way because the car and never totally dies.........it appears to be a car with swerve marks behind. I took this car in the same week on 4/07 and they said the car is operating "as designed" and couldn't locate any problems. It seems to run great except for the 4 mishaps and it really scares me that someday I wouldn't be able to get off the road or a car will hit me from behind. There has to be a problem. I don't drive fast and I am definitely not skidding around the ramp. At age 61 I might not be doing the speed limit even. Help me?

- Oskaloosa, KS, USA

Aug 102012

LaCrosse 6-cyl

Since I purchased the car in June, 2012, there have been three (3) incidents where there was a gradual loss of battery charge, the vehicle would not start, and the illumination of the malfunction indicator light comes on. The most recent incident was this past Saturday, on November 16, 2013. My car is also equipped with E-assist. I do not know if there is a problem with the generator control module, or similar device. Each time a certified Buick repair service claim they cannot find anything wrong with the vehicle. Thanks god I have always been in a safe place when this has occurred, and so far there has been no fire in the trunk of my car, which I understand might occur. Thanks for all of your assistance in regards to this urgent matter. Updated 12/16/13

- Dallas, GA, USA

Jul 302013

LaCrosse

I have had multiple issues with my 2012 Buick Lacrosse, it started sooner than this with my air deflector falling off at 75 mph and almost flipping my car. This time on July 30th my vehicle went completely out from the memory loss, the transmission just stopped working and I was stalled in one of the busiest intersections in my city. As I was trying to get my vehicle to move again the light turned red and an 18 wheeler almost broadsided me. I found out that back in may a safety recall was sent down on my vehicle. The ones with easiest the battery in the back can catch fire and cause problems. I did not even get my notice until I had picked my vehicle up and GM said they weren't going to send notices until they "had a problem" well parts on national back order due to the problem seems like a huge problem. GM keeps giving me excuse after excuse and does not want to help me in all the problems I have had. My air deflector falling off they said could not happen, I said it did and it is gone, can't reproduce something with nothing there. In front of my neighborhood a Cadillac escalade dropped his air deflector too, same side dropped, same side twisted off, nothing in the road to cause the problem and I have the proof yet GM doesn't care and still says it doesn't happen. My mechanic said if it is not installed properly they will just fall off, the air deflectors on GM products are held on by only 2 bolts, the other spots have never been bolted on, now I have a damaged vehicle and GM says it doesn't happen. I have almost been killed three times and my daughter once in this vehicle, how normal is that? please help!!

- Southaven, MS, USA

Jul 112012

LaCrosse 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Buick Lacrosse. The contact stated that while traveling 65 mph, the engine and check service warning light illuminated. The vehicle then lost power as the engine stalled. The contact was able to merge to the side of the road. The vehicle was towed the dealer where it was confirmed that the serpentine belt had failed. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the issue. The failure mileage was 8,750 and the current mileage was 13,805.....updated 12/20/12 the consumer stated during the second occurrence the engine light and service light illuminated while driving at 65mph. The steering wheel locked. The belt failed again and was replaced. GM assured the engine wasn't the issue it was the vehicle. Updated 1/2/2013

- East Rancho Dominguez, CA, USA

Jul 252009

LaCrosse 4-cyl

We were on I 35 traveling about 70 mph when the motor suddenly lost all power. After about 30 to 45 seconds some power seemed to come back and I was able to drive the car to the service road. External temp. Was 93 and but there was no working air con inside the car. I called onstar. They ran a diagnosis and said my car was not working properly and should be taken to the dealer. I started to drive to the dealership but the car motor stopped completely. No power of any kind. Could not restart. Could not move. The car had to be towed. The dealership diagnosed the problem as a broken serpentine belt. They said a recall was issued 12 days after I bought the car. I never received the notice. I have written to Buick and to General Motors and requested an explanation. Neither have replied.

- Georgetown, TX, USA

Mar 282012

LaCrosse 4-cyl

2012 Buick Lacrosse. Consumer states mechanical breakdown the consumer stated while driving, he could smell a burning odor and a very low knocking sound coming from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for a diagnosis. The consumer was informed there was no oil on the dip stick, the rear main seal was leaking and there was oil leaking between the engine and transmission. The consumer also stated a warning light never appeared on the dashboard to warn him of a problem.

- Cherry Hill, NJ, USA