2004 Buick LeSabre drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Buick LeSabre:

2004 Buick LeSabre Owner Comments

Jan 132016

Within the passed 2 months I have been experiencing "hard shifts". very pronounced jolt/jerk when accelerating after a full stop or decelerating to come to a stop. Just researched on this site and found many other consumers with 2004 Lesabre's experiencing same situation. Has to do with inferior pressure control solenoid and/or shift solenoids. Apparently GM has refused to recall and replace due to the cost. Can cause premature failure of transmission and they say they are under no obligation to make it right!!! also have had problems with speedometer and tachcometer. My tach is frozen at 2 and speedometer started giving false readings about 3 yrs. Ago. Did not address because my mechanic told me its very costly. I have to use my garmin to tell me how fast I am going. Happened first time in extreme heat traveling on highway. Then again when it w as raining. Very unsafe situation and again a very costly fix that GM will not address.

- Clifton, NJ, USA

Mar 072015

LeSabre 6-cyl

My 2004 Buick Lesabre keeps losing power while I am driving. This is the 4th incident in 2 months! the vehicle dies and the power steering locks. This is a dangerous situation as I was on hwy 190 and there is major work being done. I was driving over a bridge and their are barriers on both sides of the highway. Each time the incident occurs I get a crank but no start. My vehicle is then towed to a mechanic and I've been told that the crank shaft sensor and ignition module are bad. The sensor has been replaced twice within a weeks time and not three weeks after the module was replaced it is back at the shop today. I have no leverage under Texas lemon laws because it is used vehicle and unfortunately I have to put my job before my safety because I have responsibilities. I am in a dangerous situation right now!

- Killeen , TX, USA

Mar 272014

Very common know problem of the 4T65E transmission equipped in these cars is a pressure control solenoid and/or the shift solenoids fail prematurely due to a poorly constructed parts. A service bulletin has been issued by manufacturer warning of the problem and to use a much more superior part to replace the bad ones. This happens across a number of vehicles and GM refuses to recall said part even after knowing it is a failed part. The problem it causes is the transmission goes into high pressure mode and causes hard up shifts. There is a unofficial work around that involves installing after market parts to stop the hard shifts.GM has been made aware of the problem and has personally told me they will not issue a recall due to cost of recalling and repairing. Especially in cars that this has caused premature failure of the transmission. And they say they are under no obligation to do so. The sad thing is I just asked for the updated part so I could personally install it because I do better work than their garages and wouldn't trust them to change a tire let alone touch a transmission. I am capable of installing the parts I just want the updated one for free since it is a problem that should have been corrected on their part to begin with. This problem is much like the coolant problem GM claims didn't exist until they were sued for it.

- Rome, NY, USA