NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2004 Buick LeSabre (Page 1 of 2)

2.4

2004 Buick LeSabre electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Buick LeSabre:

2004 Buick LeSabre Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Feb 162015

LeSabre 6-cyl

Driving home from work during my 20 minute commute during the winter, I had the seat heater on in the drivers seat. It felt unusually warm but I was extremely cold and left it on. As I was getting out of the car my husband asked "what's that smell"? he looked at the seat and there was a quarter size singe hole where the heater coil burned through the leather, he then turned me around and looked at the back of my wool coat- there was a corresponding hole in the new wool coat that I had just bought. I am asking for the replacement for the coat- $180.

- Livonia , MI, USA

Jan 062015

LeSabre

The contact owns a 2004 Buick Lesabre. The contact stated that the key could be removed from the ignition at all positions. When the key was removed from the ignition, the engine continued to operate. When the key was removed from the accessory position, it caused the battery to fail. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 155,000.

- Merriam , KS, USA

May 212015

LeSabre

While driving home my fuel gauge stopped working. When I got home I turned the car off and then back on and the fuel gauge was now in the 6 position on a clock. Now I have no idea if there is any fuel in the car or not. Luckily I reset the trip meter with every fuel up so I know I can go approximately 300 miles. Although in the winter when we have to idle our car so the fuel mileage goes down and I do not get as many miles on a tank. Hope I don't run out of fuel during the winter. In reading online reviews about this issue it turns out it can get worse and cause the speedometer to stop working. Then I may be speeding and not even know it. I did try and have it fixed but the guy charged me $207 and it did not fix the problem. At the local GM dealership they said they would repair it for $350.

- Merrill, WI, USA

Jul 012014

LeSabre

At 68,000 miles and in the month of July 2014 my Buick Lesabre speedometer and tachometer stopped working....the hands do not move at all.....I do not know how fast I am driving which is dangerous and can cause death....this is a number one complaint of this car and it should be recalled before im dead! I cannot afford the repairs because I am on disability....this is an urgent matter that need to be taken care of immediately!

- Fort Walton Beach, FL, USA

Jun 142012

LeSabre

At approximately 80,000 miles my fuel gauge stopped working. It will either say full or empty no inbetween. It is not accurate nor is the low fuel light. To get it fixed I had it estimated at around $600..... just another reason not to buy a american made vehicle.

- Morenci, MI, USA

May 122014

LeSabre

While driving approximately 45 mph, speedometer would increase to as high as 90 mph with no increase from driver. This has been repeated several times over last year of operation. Also gas gauge info has maxed or bottomed out. I can fix this problem by removing and reinstalling the instrument panel fuse under the back seat. When this is done you can hear something under the instrument panel reset. Depending on the local temperature I might be able to go up to 3 months before having to repeat this sequence. Now the A/C is putting out cool air on the passenger side vents only.

- Crestview, FL, USA

Apr 072014

LeSabre

The contact owns a 2004 Buick Lesabre. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the the entire instrument panel became inoperable. The vehicle was taken to a an independent mechanic who stated that the stepper motors needed to be replaced to repair the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage 87,300.

- Toledo, OH, USA

May 012013

LeSabre

The contact owns a 2004 Buick Lesabre. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled numerous times while turning or when a road bump was driven over. The vehicle was taken to the dealer several times for the failure where a diagnostic was performed. The dealer advised that the anti-theft system was causing the failure. The dealer replaced the anti-theft module and the key was reprogrammed however, the failure was not corrected. The manufacturer advised the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number:14V047000 (air bags, electrical system). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 23,744 and the approximate current mileage was 25,000.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Jun 052013

LeSabre 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Buick Lesabre. The contact stated that the instrument panel malfunctioned, which prevented her from seeing any of the gauges. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 145,000. The current mileage was 150,000.

- North Hampton , PA, USA

Mar 012011

LeSabre

I purchased my 2004 Lesabre in 2005. Approximately 3 years ago, the speedometer would register 120 when I was moving or when the car was stopped or parked. I spoke to my mechanic and he told me that it was an expensive repair. I am a very conservative driver but am very concerned about the speedometer and the gas gauge not functioning. I have a debilitating disease and cannot even pump my own gas. What would happen if I had to try and walk to a gas station. I do not understand why this is not a recall!! how many complaints does it take?? I love my car but may have to spend a lot of money to fix a problem that is GM's responsibility. I am shocked at the amount of complaints about this very problem. I am also sure that there are many more not reported. Please do something!!

- Hempstead, NY, USA

Oct 092013

LeSabre

The contact owns a 2004 Buick Lesabre. The contact stated that while driving approximately 65 mph, the speedometer and fuel gauge displayed inaccurate readings. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 55,500.

- Westland, MI, USA

Mar 132010

LeSabre 6-cyl

As we were traveling down a back road at about 35mph, I noticed that my dash speedometer was reading 85mph. It seemed like the gauge would go up, but would not come back down. Luckily, I have a heads-up display that has always shown the correct speed. Later, most of the rest of my dash gauges began randomly doing the same thing -- they'd go up, but not come back down. The only gauge that seemed unaffected was my fuel gauge -- until last week. It, too, is doing the same thing. I'm seeing lots of web ads to fix this problem, which means that many people are having this same problem. This can be dangerous, since, if I run out of gas on a major road during icy weather (which we have much of the year here in Wisconsin), it could cause a major accident. If that many people are having the same problem, it's not a random chance failure -- it's a defect in design, materials or "workmanship" (which includes automated processes). Please address this problem!

- Wisconsin Rapids, WI, USA

May 302009

LeSabre 6-cyl

The lights on my heater console began to go out, one by one over a one week period. Obviously all these bulbs were manufactured at the same tine to the very same specs! after finding out from Y service shop that I would have to replace the whole unit (at a cost of over $600 just for the part), I found some bulbs from radio shack that I soldered in myself (through fixya.com - so many people had the same problem). Shortly thereafter, more bulbs on other switches (window controls, steering wheel controls, radio) also went out. This could be a very dangerous situation if you have drivers hunting in the dark for controls as they are driving. Texting is bad enough, but fumbling in the dark for your own car's controls and trying to correct a button you pushed inadvertently can cause a major accident.

- Wisconsin Rapids, WI, USA

May 122010

LeSabre

I bought this car May 2010 from gregory automotive group in new castle de. I immediately had a propblem with the speedometer the day I bought it, took it back to the dealership and was told that it wasnt a big deal, this problem was covered by by warranty and I would just need to pay a $100 deductible. I took it to my local Buick dealership and they told me that it isn't covered under the warranty I bought from the dealer and I would have to pay out of pocket for the repairs. My next issue is the gas gauge started to mess up; wrong readings and gas levels left me out of gas and very upset. I will be taking this back to Buick to see if I am at all eligible to recieve recall benefits or something because the amount to fix these issues are greater than I can afford within the year and some change of owning the veh. And I also want to say I did research and do a carfax on the car and it came back with accurate mileage, one owner and no accidents and I jumped on it, only to have a nice car without a working speedometer and gas gauge. I thought Buick were good solid cars......

- Wilmington , DE, USA

Jan 052011

LeSabre 6-cyl

My 2004 Buick Lesabre started having speedometer trouble in Jan. 2011. It started showing the car going slower then it actually is. It doesn't do it right away but after awhile on a long drive. It gets worse the longer you drive it. It can show it going up to 30 mph slower then it is. Also the gas gauge started fluctuating and being erratic and now also the engine temperature gauge also shows running hot when it is not. The car presently has less then 25,000 miles since new. How safe can this be when you can't trust the speedometer. Going too fast or too slow" always unsure, always looking at the gauges" second guessing your driving decisions! the gas gauge and temperature gauge give a different reading each time you drive it. Nothing has been done as of yet. I will be stopping at the racine, wi. Buick dealer where it was purchased new to see if they will warranty the problem this coming week 6/22/2011.

- Racine, WI, USA

Jun 072009

LeSabre

The contact owns a 2004 Buick Lesabre. The contact stated that the fuel gauge and the speedometer failed. The fuel level gauge would constantly display an empty reading. The dealer was contacted and they advised him that he needed to replace the entire instrumental panel. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was approximately 50,000.

- Dalton, MA, USA

Feb 232011

LeSabre 6-cyl

The tachometer and temperature gauges on my 2004 Buick Lesabre have failed. The needles have become stuck in the red zones of their respective gauges. This began approximately one year ago when my car had less than 50,000 miles on it. The speedometer has recently shown signs of sporadic sticking, so I cannot be certain my vehicle is traveling at the correct speed. Based on similar postings on this site as well as numerous internet sites, it is obvious that a manufacturer defect exists, therefore Buick should be ordered to make necessary repairs at their cost. A Buick dealer told me this would cost over $300 to repair.

- Mount Laurel, NJ, USA

Jan 012011

LeSabre

My 2004 Buick Lesabre with 58500 miles is showing initial signs of failure of the instrument cluster. This has started with the tachometer failing to register correctly and the fuel gauge pegging beyond the full position. I understand that the next component failure will likely be the speedometer. Should this occur, the vehicle will not be safe to operate. This electrical system problem represents another serious safety design flaw by General Motors that must be corrected by GM before it contributes to an accident. Consumers should not have to incur charges to have this obvious problem corrected. The NHTSA should issue a product recall and hold GM responsible for correcting this problem at GM's expense.

- Dewitt, MI, USA

Oct 112010

LeSabre

Battery exploded when ignition was turned on. Original battery when the car was bought in 2004. Went back to car dealer and had it repaired. Need to know why this happened. Have not got a straight answer. All electrical systems checked out good when the dealer replaced the battery. Battery is under back seat and I'm concerned when I drive my grandchildren. Do not know the make of the original battery nor the new battery that was installed. Just looking for some answer as to why this has happened.

- Libert Township, OH, USA

Dec 292009

LeSabre

Speedometer stops working on my 2004 Buick. It can stop at any given time an can cause speeding by not knowing how fast I am running. Also speeding is the number one cause of deaths.

- Hickory, KY, USA