Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The Buick Rainier is a replacement for the Oldsmobile Bravada, hopefully minus the transmission issues and AWD complaints.

2004 Buick Rainier drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Buick Rainier:

2004 Buick Rainier Owner Comments

Jun 112016

I was making on U-turn on a major highway, I came to a complete stop. Then I continued to proceed, my back tires was stuck. They started sliding on the road, they would not turn. Driving straight forward is fine. Only making turn and parking isvery difficult. I had it checked by a mechanic, he said that my truck is stuck in 4WD. Also my cv joint seal has a leak.

- Melbourne, FL, USA

Aug 312006

The contact owns a 2004 Buick Rainier. The contact stated that while attempting to make a turn into a parking space, the vehicle jerked. In addition, an unknown warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer multiple times who diagnosed that the encoder needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired however, the failure recurred on numerous occasions. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 39,000.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Apr 262014

Rainier 6-cyl

Came to a complete stop to pick up passenger's. put shifter into "park" but indicator showed "drive". tried to exit car but car would move, do to car was in drive. Shifter was now locked in park and would not move to another gear. Returned home, turned off ignition. Rainier wouldn't re start because shifter was stuck in "park" but the indicator was in "drive". vehicle was towed to dealership for repair. Dealer replaced transmission shifter cable assembly. Costing me more then $500. Consumer reports magazine (September 2014, page 12) has under recalls, has some General Motors vehicles for this same problem. But my vehicle us not indicated.

- Oak Hill, VA, USA

Mar 212013

While I was driving down a rural road doing about 35 to 40 mph the speed suddenly froze at 40 and it no longer moves. I'm currently a driver for the city and this is a complete hazard when driving and can't determine your speed. I was very afraid due to the fact I couldn't understand why this happen to me which occurred in the process of acceleration. When I finally looked down my speed said 90 which I knew for a fact I wasn't going that fast at all once the vehicle got stuck on 40 it never came back down. Someone really needs to revise this situation with this vehicle since this problem is very common where's the recall on this.

- South Holland, IL, USA

Dec 052012

This is a problem that I've researched extensively on line and through parts replacement. I bought the SUV at the end of 2012 and it started doing this a couple of weeks after purchased.when slowing to turn while breaking it has a real bad clunk and it won't turn it caused me to almost run into the ditch.I have replaced the chain in the transfer case and also both wheel bearings and speed sensors and replaced the fluid several times. From what I read online this is a very common problem, which I think is very dangerous and could very easily cause an accident or death if something isn't done about this problem. It doesn't seem to be only high mileage vehicles that are having this problem and it should be taken care of by the manufacturer GM. I can't afford to keep pumping money into this yard ornament.! come on GM step up and take care of your customers before someone gets hurt or killed.

- Bald Knob, AR, USA