NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

1998 Buick Regal (Page 2 of 2)

1998 Buick Regal electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Buick Regal:

1998 Buick Regal Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Nov 072005

Regal 6-cyl

When using turn signals, all dash lights, headlights go off and engine dies. Engine will not restart until turn signal is cancelled. This is an intermittent problem. Replacing the turn signal switch assy has not changed the symptoms.

- Hudson, IL, USA

Jun 012005

Regal 6-cyl

Operation of the turn signal causes the car to stall, affectign the power steering and ABS.

- Lakewood, CO, USA

Apr 142004

Regal 6-cyl

Numerous failures - power windows(same window 2X), heater/ac blower motor, turn signals (same direction 3X), alternator, water pump, engine strut brackets, leaky gasket valve covers. Current unresolved problem - failure to start although battery is fine. Replaced ignition switch and starter yet still fails regularly. Next repair, replace a wire in steering column that contacts the chip in the key"?"

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Apr 112004

Regal 6-cyl

Not sure of the problem w/ my 98 Buick Regal gs. It has 59,000 miles on it, and has been in the shop for the past 10 months on a regular basis. Have replaced spark plugs, battery, and am now on the 3rd new fuel pump. Put over $5,000 into this car. No previous history of problems. I am original owner. It has completely cut off in the middle of driving and has left me stranded 6 times, 3 of those with my 4 year old. These problems started on easter, 2004 and are still continuing to date.

- Apo, AE, USA

Feb 012004

Regal

This vehicle appears to have a serious electrical problem. The problem started with the left blinker going really fast when depressed (as if going out). Then every time you depress the left blinker the electrical on the dash goes off and blinks. The engine shuts off and the steering wheel locks up while driving. Luckily everytime it has happened we have not been in an accident, but this could seriously put someone in danger. I don't know if it is related but the electrical on the thermostat control dashboard has gone out as well as some of the electrical on the windows.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Jan 062004

Regal 6-cyl

Head lights turn off when blower fan is turned on. Blower for ac/heater turns off, occasionally will work when turned to high. Rear defroster won't work when blower fan is on. Monocromatic rear veiw mirror adjustment won't work when blower is on. Left rear turn signal not working, bulb is ok.

- Sumner, WA, USA

Nov 172003

Regal

While driving and applying the turn signal the engine failed without warning. The cause has yet to be determined. Please provide any additional information.

- West Blocton, AL, USA

Mar 302003

Regal 6-cyl

Headlights turned off during operation at night while driving. Listed below is the text of my note to the dealer more fully describing the problem. You may recall after review of your service records that I brought this vehicle to you December 3, 2002 for a faulty blower motor. After diagnosis you phoned and indicated the problem was a resistor, not the motor and during diagnosis you discovered wires under the hood damaged by an animal who had built a nest under the cowling. I authorized repair of both the resistor and the wiring. On January 3, 2003 I returned the vehicle to you for a similar problem, the blower motor would fail intermittently along with the electronically dimmed rearview mirror and the interior dash light would fail to dim when the headlights were turned on. You kept the vehicle until January 7, 2003 but were unable to observe the problem. I have had two instances of this blower failure since but was unable to get to you before the fan and associated problems disappeared. This morning shortly after 5:00 am (in the dark) I headed to the richmond airport. As I was about to pull onto route 54 from our development I decided to turn on the blower to clear moisture from the windows. When I did the headlights extinguished. Had this been twenty seconds later I may have wrecked my vehicle and injured or killed my passenger and myself.

- Montpelier, VA, USA

Apr 281999

Regal

Recurring A/C, electrical system, and window vibration problems have not been resolved by the manufacturer, despite numerous attempts. Was referred to a Buick regional rep, who consistently lied about the fact that Buick was aware of these problems in numerous (maybe all) 1998 Regals. When that didn't deter me and the truth established, he attempted to use physical threats to get me to back down. That didn't deter me either. BBB arbitration process was a farce. BBB admitted that the vehicle was considered a lemon, but their resolution was to let Buick have the car for an additional 30 day period to attempt to repair it. Neither the BBB, nor Buick followed the BBB's own arbitration rules. Buick rep and arbitrator both lied during the arbitration hearing, despite taking an oath at the beginning of the proceedings. These facts have been well documented, and were witnessed by another person who attended the hearing on my behalf. Ready to start legal proceedings to protect my rights and obtain a truly fair resolution compensate for these defects. Also want to make sure Buick doesn't treat other customers the way they have treated me.

- Fountain Valley, CA, USA