2001 Buick Regal electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Buick Regal:

2001 Buick Regal Owner Comments

May 052016

While stationary and in motion on highway and on city streets when the turn signal isturned on the vehicle shuts off, and when attempting to restart vehicle with turn signals off the electronics flash as if they are connected to flasher relay

- Pontiac, MI, USA

Apr 052016

The contact owns a 2001 Buick Regal. While driving 35 mph, the contact heard an abnormal noise coming from the front of the vehicle. The contact stated that the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. On several occasions, when the vehicle was placed in the park position, it was difficult to remove the key from the ignition. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 71,000.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Mar 062015

Instrument panel odometer lighting has gone out twice car is stationary, repair is costly and requires the entire dash to be taken out for repair.

- Ripon, CA, USA

Sep 182014

Regal 6-cyl

For the past few days while driving my security light will come on all of a sudden and the car will lose power and then instantly come back on. I had my 3 children in the car with me so we all were in panic mode when this happened. It has now made me very nervous to drive because I do not want to get into an accident. Friends have told me it was because the chip in my key is worn out and to have a new key made. I contacted a local locksmith and he says since this is happening after the car is in motion then it is not the key. There is something wrong with the ignition switch. I contacted my local Buick dealership and was told there are no recalls on this and it cost $95 just for them to look at it and see how much to fix it.

- Lake City, FL, USA

Mar 012013

Well driving I was going along at 40 mph and the car just up and died all the dash lights started to flashing steering becomes hard and the braking is like standing on a brick I do believe the ignition switch may be the problem it is the same switch that is in the Chevrolet Impala that had been recalled I used to work for a garage and install them often I do hope you look in to this with care second thing is the steering rack is really bad and when I took it in to them at the dealer they tried to tell me it was from use I don't believe it I have a ase certified person do all the work to it and the brakes are brand new so you tell me there is a mad defect on the car it should have been recalled some time ago and I don't know as to why this is still not on the list of recalls but it needs to be same for the 2000 01 02 03 Buick thank you for your time hope this get taken care of.

- Portland, ME, USA

Aug 112014

I was driving with my son. We were coming to a stop and lost all power steering, brakes, and all dash lights lit up. The ignition switch failed.. very terrifying! how is my car not on the recall list"??" we could have died!!!

- St Francis, WI, USA

Nov 162010

The contact owns a 2001 Buick Regal. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled while driving at various speeds. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the ignition was replaced. The manufacture was notified of the issue. The failure mileage was 37,500 and the current mileage was 47,922. Updated 05/19/14

- Loveland, CO, USA

May 162012

Regal 6-cyl

I have been having stalling problems I. E. ignition. Going over bumps and turning on the left turn signal seemed to cause it to stall for over a year. I pretty much quit driving the car unless it was less than 3 miles like going to the grocery store or the golf course. I finally took it in to the dealer and they had never seen anything like it. Sept. 17, 2013. Anyway, they repaired it for $556.40. I have only had the keys that came with it, starter and trunk and one house key, 3 total on the key ring. In light of the recent problems, you might want to expand the scope of your investigation.

- Layton, UT, USA

May 042009

Regal 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Buick Regal. The contact was driving approximately 30 mph when the entire dashboard illuminated followed by the vehicle immediately stalling. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic, who replaced the starter however, the failure was not corrected. The vehicle was then towed to an authorized dealer, who replaced the anti-theft electrical device however the failure was not corrected. The vehicle was then taken to a personal mechanic who made unknown repairs. The failure did not recur for several months. The manufacturer advised the contact to take the vehicle back to the dealer for further diagnostic testing at the owner's expense. The contact declined because the previous three diagnostic tests that were performed were unsuccessful. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 84,137.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Nov 182013

Regal 6-cyl

Odometer meter cannot be read at any time because light went out. GM cars have instrument lighting cluster problems, according to the service writer at a Buick dealer. This costs $676.75 to repair. Our son's 2001 Chevy Impala had the dashboard instrument panel fail and he could not read his speedometer. This was replaced for $614 and it failed again a year later.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Aug 212011

Regal 6-cyl

I went to the gas station and then went to my parents house where I parked my car. This was all of about 6 miles. I went into my parents house and was watching tv when my dad came in and said come here quick... your car's on fire. I couldn't believe it. It was working fine when I went to the store and then it caught on fire out of the blue. There was a recall in April 2009 on my car due to engine compartment fires. I took it to john L. sullivan in January 2010 to have the recall work done at no charge. Yet, my car caught on fire anyway. I filed a complain with GM motors who denied my claim stating the breach of warranty statute of limitations had expired per California state law. However, federal law states I am entitled to a free and "effective" remedy for this situation. Obviously, the remedy was not effective. I want GM to fix my car immediately!!!!!! federal law should override any state law. I am very lucky I was not in the car when the flames erupted. I am also very lucky it was not parked in my garage or something where my house could have caught fire. There were absolutely no indications that anything was wrong with my car.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Apr 162011

There is a problem with the odometer light it does not show the mileages of the car I just bought it, and it hasn't shown up yet. All the other lights are on except this one. Can't pass inspection because of it.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

May 062010

The contact owns a 2001 Buick Regal. The contact stated that in order to start the vehicle, she would have to engage the hazard lights first and then turn the ignition before it would start. The dashboard components would illuminate sporadically and the fuel level gauge, gear shifter, and odometer were all inoperable. The vehicle was not repaired and the contact was unaware if there were any recalls on the vehicle. The failure and current mileages were unknown.

- Shreveport , LA, USA

Jan 252008

Regal 6-cyl

I parked my car at a company parking lot and went inside. Within 15 minutes, a person approached me to tell me my car was on fire outside. Another person who was walking past the car at the time said it tried to start all by itself just before it caught on fire. Firemen put the fire out but not before it melted the throttle body, the radiator, brake master cylinder and everything under the hood, exploding the left front tire and had begun burning through the firewall into the cab.

- Powhatan, VA, USA

Sep 092006

Regal 6-cyl

: the contact stated the vehicle's engine lost power due to an electrical issue. The service dealer determined the vehicle could be repaired at a cost.

- San Gabriel, CA, USA

May 162002

Regal 6-cyl

When we first bought the car the check engine light came on and car would not start. Dealer finally found the problem. It was a sensor. Dealer replaced sensor. In March 2003 check engine light started coming on again. It stays on all the time. Some of the others come on to. Service engine soon ect. It has been less than a year since we had it fixed the first time. I think maybe it could be a defect.

- Hamlin, WV, USA