2011 Buick Regal steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Buick Regal:

2011 Buick Regal Owner Comments

Sep 202016

Regal

My daughter drives our 2011 Buick Regal cxl that we purchased in February 2016. In the last several month the vehicle has stalled, steering locks up, brakes go completely out, it doesn't have an electrical and because it has an electric emergency brake there is no way for her to stop. The first two times she was driving around town and the last time it happened was last week at 70 mph on the highway. She almost hit the car in front of her. Once it coasted to a stop she was able to start it and continue on. This GM vehicle 2011 Buick Regal is a death trap waiting to happen. Don't buy a Buick!!! I picked it up from the local Buick dealer yesterday and they can't do anything. Once the vehicle is restarted after one of these incidents the computers automatically resets and wiped clean of codes without any trace of a problem or issue. All the errors completely disappear. The service person at the dealership asked me if I had a decoder I could plug in right after it happens. This problem is all over the internet and Buick does nothing. You can bet that a GM executive would decline an offer for one of his/her family members to drive it for a while. Make no mistake these cars shut down completely without any warning and absolutely nothing works at the moment. No steering, no brakes, stalled engine, and no electrical. Absolutely nothing!!! all Buick says base on online comments is sorry. Sorry for what" killing people? not giving a damn about my family or yours" if they were sorry they'd step up and do the right thing before its too late and someone dies. Insurance companies are probably paying out lots of money to their insured and the people they hit, injure or kill. I bet they would love to hear more about this issue. Be carefully what you buy because you might be surprised by your car right before you crash. I've always likes GM and Buick but not anymore.

- Saint Cloud, MN, USA

Feb 172016

Regal

The contact owns a 2011 Buick Regal. While driving at an unknown speed, the engine lost power, stalled, and the steering seized without warning. The vehicle was able to restart. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the camshaft failed. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the throttle body failed. The vehicle was repaired and the failure recurred. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 72,000...updated 08/23/16

- Detroit, MI, USA

Aug 192015

Regal

The car stalled today after reversing out of my parking spot and shifting into drive. This is the 3rd time in my 14 months of owning the car that this has happened. It only happens right after turning the car on. The steering goes out and the engine stalls, but the electronics remain on, it's a lot like what happens when you run out of fuel but my tank is full. The dealer cannot replicate the issue and will not do anything. They claim they've never heard of this issue before.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Jun 102015

Regal

I was driving down the highway, 78 mph in rush hour and my engine died/no power, no brakes, no steering. Heavy traffic, no control. I made it to shoulder, very difficult to ease the vehicle over. No warning lights. Engine just died. No control. Once the car stopped after rolling at a high speed, I tried to start my engine. Engine started, and able to proceed. Next day, similar incident happened I was turning a corner. The same thing happened, I was going a lower speed. I had less control after the engine died, no warning lights etc.very difficult to maneuver. I turned the key and it started. I took it to the dealer. They said needed oil change, and 3 quarts low on oil. And I was 1000 miles over. They were sending me home with oil change, I pleaded to look into further as I was in fear of my life driving. The service sheet indicated the car had multiple cam actuator system failure codes. The service manager said low on oil, and was safe, he went to get the car. The car stalled on him...no power, no alarms, no service engine soon lights, etc. Eventually, I convinced them to give me a vehicle to drive after initial denial. 1 week later, they have found nothing wrong. Said exhaust cam shaft actuator was broken. They replaced the timing chains, the actuators, and selenoids. Still no explanation why my car died driving down the road at 78mph they said sometimes it takes 3 failures or key cycles before an alarm will be set. Not sure if they truly found the problem so they have asked to drive my car for several days to see if the default continues to show up. I am very concerned that an engine should stop while traveling at high speeds 3 times before an alarm system or warning would ever be given to the driver that there may be a problem. I am still very concerned and am not sure if I should be driving this vehicle or not for fear of my life.

- St. Johns, MI, USA

Jan 152013

Regal

Six months after purchasing this used vehicle (with 29,000 miles on it) it completely stalled on the interstate while driving about 65 mph. It started braking by itself making it difficult to get to an emergency pull off area. This could have caused a serious accident considering it was rush hour. I took it to the dealership where they told me that the "throttle body" needed to be replaced. After getting it repaired the car drove fine until this year. At about 55,000 miles my car would start shaking very hard, brake pedal was almost to the floor, and it was almost impossible accelerate. I had to pull over and restart the car. This happened atleast 4 times. Eventually my car stalled out on me again while driving on the interstate. Once again this February the dealership blamed it on the "throttle body" and a powerline that was "completely corroded". after having them replaced, it drove ok for only a couple of months. Then all of a sudden in June my car started shaking very badly while driving on the interstate and I noticed that my brake was stuck I put my foot under the brake pedal to pop it out and the car then drove ok. I took it to the dealership and go figure the "throttle body" needed to be replaced, brake master cylinder had to be replaced, brake vacuum booster needed service, brake fluid system had to be flushed, and the engine air filter needed to be replaced. I walked away with a $300 bill because the warranty only covered some of the problems. One week later while it was pouring rain I was driving on the interstate and my car completely stalled for the 3rd time. A tractor trailor almost lost control trying to prevent hitting me as I slid off the interstate. Once I was safe I tried to restart it and the key broke off in the ignition. Now the immobilizer module has to be replaced. Please note that I keep the maintenance up on this vehicle.

- Hampton, VA, USA

Jan 102012

Regal 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Buick Regal. The contact stated that the vehicle would loose power sporadically. The contact stated the check transmission light or stability control light would illuminate on the instrument panel when the failure occurred. The vehicle never stalled, but the contact would loose power steering when the failure occurred. The dealer replaced the computer twice and was also looking at a possible transmission failure, but the vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle was left with the dealer for more extensive inspection. The failure mileage was 10,000 and the current mileage was 17,000. Updated 7/12/12 the consumer stated while driving, all of a sudden the vehicle started to slow down. He lost all power to the steering and brakes. The transmission control valve arm was replaced. In May 2012, he was making a turn and the power steering went out, which left him with no steering, brakes or transmission. The consumer hit a fence post dragging the front bumper. The transmission was replaced. Updated 07/18/12

- Berkley Heights , NJ, USA