9.1

$1,970.00

2. blown head gasket but dealer says i need a new engine!! (1 reports)
  3. re machined heads (1 reports)
  4. replace thermostat (1 reports)
2002 Buick Rendezvous cooling system problems

cooling system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Buick Rendezvous:

2002 Buick Rendezvous Owner Comments

Mar 012011

Rendezvous CXL V6 3.4L

American auto makers wonder why we have not been buying American made cars. We'll here is an example. The dealership tells you the vehicle are known to have over heating problems but since no recall, they won't help. Numerous reports on this vehicle. Going back to Toyota. Driving them since 1978 w/o ever an issue. 2004 Camry has 183,000 on it and still haven't even had to replace an Engine part.

Wish I had researched the Buick Rendezvous better. What I did, never said a word about continuous over heating issues.

- , Pflugerville, Texas, USA

Mar 132012

Rendezvous CXL

Don't have a clue where to take this car or what to expect............

- , Rock Hill, S.C, USA

Jun 132010

Rendezvous EX 3.4L

we changed the thermostat,we changed the heat sensor ,we changed the water pump we bled the system with the valves to get the air out of the system and it did good for one day we put over 100 miles on it all of a sudden it ran hot again ,we drove it again it did o.k. then all of a sudden it ran hot again, i don't know what to do it might be o.k. then all of sudden out of the blue guess what it does it again. if someone knows what i need to do PLEASE PLEASE let me know YOU GET IT PAID OFF IT BLOWS UP I"M VERY VERY UP SET !!!!!!!

- , Dubach, LA, USA

Jul 162011

Rendezvous 3.4L

I have the CX 2002 Buick rendezvous and it just recently started overheating. I have had the thermostat changed, new radiator, new hoses, coolant etc. and the problem still persists. I have researched this problem with this vehicle and it seems to be an occuring regularly within these vehicles. This sucks you think you are buying a reliable vehicle and it has very bad issues going on after just a short time.

- , Cleveland, Ohio, USA

Oct 122010

Rendezvous CX 3.4L

no point in raising hell I just want to know if the mfg is going to fix this problem. the dealer says this model has a cooling system problem . what good is that???? I would like to know what is the fix??????????????????? I have come to hear this model has this as a universal problem. I have spent over $1,900.00 trying to solve this . what can the dealer do to help.?????

- , Brandon, FL, USA

Feb 082011

Rendezvous CXL

My Rendezvous has been running hot for past week and a half. I have taken it in for a pressure test and finally today I had it towed to a dealership only to learn I need a new engine rather than a cooling system repair. Estimate for a new engine is $5000. Given that up until now I have been able to handle most of the repairs, this one took me for a loop. Also after visiting this site, it appears that I have the worst model which happens to be the 1st model of this car.

- , Lithonia, GA, USA

Jun 302010

Rendezvous

I need to know if this is a common problem in the Buick 2002 Rendezvous. I take care of my car. I get routine oil change. Just had the breaks done. Had tires rotated. I may need a tune up now which I will be getting soon. However the Coolant Red Light went off on yesterday, brought some coolant, and the same thing happened this morning. The reason I brought the car is so me and the children, well mostly me can feel safe. However I do not feel safe in ths car. I have been trying to figure out how to fix it, my searching the web. Don't have the money for repairs. If I know that is an oncurring problem then I know that the failure is in the maker of the car, not the user of the car. That is why I took the time to write my concern. Please if you can help please help. Maybe this is something we need to make Buick aware of and responsible for. Thank you.

- , Kendall Park, NJ, USA

Dec 062009

Rendezvous LX 3.2L V6

I have the same problem as everyone else, and I Dont even wanna take to the shop first I dont have the money to do so, and nobody knows exactly what the problem is, I'm trying to fix it myself but so far it has been a challenge .

- , Shelton, Connecticut, USA

Oct 052009

Rendezvous CXL AWD 3.4L V6

This problem started when I noticed the temp gauge swinging higher than normal, then dropping back to normal, only to repeat. There'd been no sign of any leaks. There was coolant in the overflow tank. When the engine cooled, I was able to add about a half gallon of coolant mix to the radiator. The overall problem continued. About a week later the check engine light came on and the engine ran a little rough. Had the code checked at a parts store and it was a "random misfire". The cooling problem continued, and the check engine light stayed on, so I made an appt at my shop. When I took the car in, it started to "tick" with lifter noise. I asked my shop to first check the cooling system because I was worried the lifter noise was because the disappearing coolant was going in the crankcase, causing the viscosity to drop causing the lifters to get noisy. They found a small leak from a weak hose clamp over the valley plate, tightened it and pressure checked. For the check engine light issue, they recommended a tune-up and wires for nearly $600. The tune-up fixed the check engine light, but the cooling problem remained. I replaced the radiator cap - no change. The lifter noise remained. I changed the oil and filter (only two weeks old) to see if it would stop the noise - no change. My shop now thinks the coolant probably damaged the bearings.

- , Caldwell, ID, USA

Dec 082008

Rendezvous CXL 93000

Vehicle began overheating without any warning. Within minutes it would be in the red zone. Thermostat, radiator, among other things were replaced. Buick now states it's a blown head gasket, but because of a hollow (cam?), it is better to replace the entire engine. According to them the chances that this will reoccur is very likely without a new engine. So now I have to figure out how to come up with $5131.00. I don't know if I am being taken for a ride or if this is true. Because the vehicle can't safely be driven, I have to pay tow trucks, so I can't afford to keep moving it from dealership to dealership. I have not had a response from customer assistance

I am so saddened and ashamed that I am in this situation. I tried to buy a reliable vehicle and because of my previous experience with Buick, I believed in them. I am so disappointed. Yet, disappoint will can't cover a $5131.00 bill. I would have done better to trade the thing in and take a loss.

- , Indianola, MS, USA

Dec 112008

Rendezvous CXL 93000

I AM MENTALLY EXHAUSTED!!!!!

Bought a 2002 Rendezvous CXL with 22,000 miles. For a while things went fine. Then it did just as all the others. It showed it's true colors. Wheel bearing, window motors etc., now it's overheating!!!!! Radiator, water, thermostat, pump, cores, fans, and everything else has been checked. I believe that DEX COOL is to blame, but unfortunately I wasn't aware of the class action lawsuit. I called Buick and asked for what possible recourse I might have even though I missed the deadline. The lady told me to submit a claim. I asked about the expiration date, she told me it had passed. I asked well how can I submit a claim. I'm still waiting on that response!!

The reason the car makers are seeking a bail out is because they have failed to support the customers who brought their products. Buick WILL NOT admit that they made the mistakes when they manufactured the Rendezvous, but like to claim that it's something that the owners do. I service my vehicle according to schedule; religiously

I can't trade it in because it is worthless!! I bought this car expecting to have it while. I don't have money to keep pumping into this money pit!

Thankfully, I have the 96 Nissan that has twice as many miles, but never the problems. So I can get to work to try to make money to repair the Rendezvous

SHAME ON BUICK!!! SHAME SHAME SHAME!!

- , Indianola, MS, USA

Sep 172007

Rendezvous CX 3.4L

called gm, gm rep was nice but no recall, or problem of this occurred. this i don't believe, even if out of warranty, just a not had intake manifold fix under warranty at 90 km, looks like i might have a bad engine

- , Winnipeg, Manotoba, Canada

Oct 312007

Rendezvous CXL AWD 3.2L V6

I purchased my first American car/SUV, a 2002 Buick Rendevous CXL, AWD, factory wheels, etc - Loaded with 68,000 miles on 5/07 - "BUICK'S FLAGSHIP" (vs the last 10 years, Toyotas -12ea) because my friend is a broker and he told me your quality is a lot better now then before, WELL NOT TRUE, within the first week i had to replace a defective gas tank it took an act of congress to get one (2003 and up had recalls but of course not mine) i had to call and wait 2 weeks and get approval to get one, $1500. Next A/C broke, transmission, brakes, sunroof, overheating, burning oil (1 qt per week). Bottom line, I've spent more on my Buick to repair than 10 years of "NO REPAIRS AT ALL" on my vehicles with some over 100,000 miles - my Toyotas. WHY????????? I'll never buy another GM anything. A very disappointed American in our lousy quality.

- , Lantana, Florida, USA