2005 Buick Rendezvous steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Buick Rendezvous:

2005 Buick Rendezvous Owner Comments

Jul 012014

Letter from senator nelson on behalf of constituent re 2005 Buick Rendezvous defects. The consumer stated a bolt in the steering broke. After she paid to have it fixed, a recall was issued six months later.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Dec 042012

Rendezvous 6-cyl

We have been plagued with a steering wheel column problem for over 18 months. This problem started at 50,000 miles. It made a loud squealing noise when the steering wheel was turned and over the numerous visits to various GMC dealers, we were repeatedly told there was nothing wrong and it was safe to drive. After contacting GMC itself, they sent us to a dealer who at first again said there was nothing wrong. Then two hours after being challenged they retested and ┐┐discovered┐Ł what they described as wear and tear. We were charged $1,250 and given a 1 year warranty. They denied this was a recalled component. I still do not trust the results nor this car, but I cannot afford getting another car.

- Northwood, OH, USA

Jul 142014

Rendezvous 6-cyl

When I would start my car in the morning, I would get a overwhelming gas smell in my to point of me thinking gas was leaking underneath my and I would get out and check and nothing. I took it to a mechanic and asked him if the car was leaking gas and he said no. I'm constantly adding power steering fluid to my vehicle at least twice a month. And recently my speedometer needle has started sticking and sometimes not working at all. Ironically my gas needle is always fluctuating throughout my car trips. I'm so nervous when I drive because I think I'm about to run out of gas even though I may have recently added gas to the car. This may sound simple but the gas fumes are making me sick and my two kids especially since all of us suffer from asthma. Please provide a resolution or fix for these unhealthy incidents.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Mar 182014

Rendezvous 6-cyl

When turning into my driveway the engine shuts off losing all steering. This has happened several times in the past (since 2009) usually when turning right from a stop sign or turning right into my driveway.

- Bethpage, TN, USA

Aug 042010

The Buick was my previous vehicle and it would just stall while I was driving. It only happened a few times, but was almost the result of an accident two times. I did have it looked at and the dealership tested it several times, but never found a cause. I don't know if you need to know this information, but I thought I would share in light what has been going on and I was surprised the Rendezvous wasn't listed as one of the vehicles with a problem. I know the dealership information, but I'm not sure how long they keep their records. The date I entered above is inaccurate. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

- Saratoga Springs, NY, USA

Sep 122012

Rendezvous 6-cyl

A total and sudden loss of steering occurred as I left the curb and started into the street. Although it felt like I had power steering, I had absolutely no control of the front wheels and therefore the car was totally out of control except for the brakes. The car was taken to the Buick dealer. The service department described the failure sequence as follows: First the bracket holding the steering rack on the R/H side broke loose then the mounting bolt on the left side of the rack fell out. I found the bolt in the street and gave it to the service manager. After the bolt holding the left side fell out, there was nothing holding the steering rack in place so there was no possibility of controlling the car. The dealer replaced the rack two or three times during the next week thinking that the replacement racks was defective. However there was still a problem in the power steering. It seemed to bind up when making a turn, only sometimes. Finally, the dealer replaced the steering shaft saying that a U-joint in the steering shaft was broken or badly damaged. Now it appears that the problem has been solved. I have a photograph showing the rack with the broken mount. It appears that the weld that holds the mounting bracket to the rack, broke loose. My wife is the original owner of the car. The car has never been in an accident. The car has never been used for any type of off-road use. The car has only been driven on city streets and public highways by drivers that are more than 60 years old. The car (and wheels) show no sign of damage. The dealer said there was no recall on this model car and that he had never seen such a failure. Because the car is out of warranty, the manufacturer assumes no responsibility for the failures. However, although I did pay to have the steering rack replaced, they did not charge additional for the steering column.

- Santa Ana, CA, USA

May 202005

Rendezvous 6-cyl

Every time I turn it sounds like the power steering is going to go out. The steering is fine but the noise is very loud. Alot of research indicated that several other people have the same problem along with the anti lock brakes as I do.

- North Canton, OH, USA

May 262010

The contact owns a 2005 Buick Rendezvous. The power steering constantly made a clicking sound whenever the steering wheel was turned. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic who repaired the vehicle for $400 approximately eight months ago. The failure recurred and the vehicle was return to the mechanic who told her that they could grease the parts again but it would not last much longer. She would have to replace the parts again. The dealer nor the manufacturer were contacted. The failure mileage was 53,000 and the current mileage was 55,000.

- Largo , FL, USA

Jun 222010

I purchased a 2005 Buick Rendezvous in Feb 2006, with around 12,700 miles on it. I also purchased the extended warranty on it (thank god) as I've had several issues go wrong with it. Most recently, last Friday, I brought my vehicle in for a supposed routine oil change (I purchased the life-time oil changes on this vehicle), so every 3 month's I bring it into the dealer; after I made my appt. On the phone, the very next day, my back window, behind the driver stopped functioning (all power windows); I also had, what I believed to be oil sitting on my garage floor. I had a crankshaft seal replaced in July, so I knew I shouldn't be seeing oil on my floor. By the time I brought it in on Friday, I had a list of things I wanted them to know about, especially an awful whining, squealing noise every time I made a corner. So, they decided with all of these things to be done, and checked, they would give me a loaner car and keep my Buick. Yesterday, 9/21/2010 I get a call from the dealer telling me that there is about $7,000 worth of work to be done!! my power steering pump was shot, the electrical needed to be replaced in that window, and the loud, obnoxious noise I was hearing while turning was the differential, gone, shot! my vehicle only has 40,000 miles on it!! I used to have all the faith in Buick; my father used to trust them 100%, as I did, but now? I'm thinking they should stick to just cars! my Buick century rocked! I loved it, but these AWD SUV's seem to be over their heads!

- Duluth, MN, USA

Apr 152010

Multiple problems with 2005 Buick Rendezvous. I am writing to you in regards to the front wheel bearing and hub. 4th time being repaired since 2007 - once a year this part has failed and needed to be replaced. 5/4/07 right at 33,860 7/15/08 right at 61,546 4/6/09 left at 78,057 4/15/10 right at 99,500 the issue is the AWD disable and antilock break lock light iss coming on. I am so nervous to drive in this car, I do not feel safe. May I also mention that I have had 2 tie rod replacements, 1 transfer case assembly replacement, 1 rim replacement because it cracked. Actually my tires (4 brand new tires) continue to loose air - I am filling up approximately every 2 weeks.

- Shelton, CT, USA

Jun 012007

Buick 2005 Rendezvous constant loud whining or moaning noise when you turn the wheel regardless of speed. It is embarrassing. No one can figure it out. It has been ongoing for over a year now.

- Olathe, KS, USA

Apr 112007

Rendezvous 6-cyl

The steering system for the 2005 Buick Rendezvous cxl with 16000 miles, bought new from GMC dealership exhibited the following behavior, a knocking sound when moving the steering wheel accompanied by vibrations felt in the steering wheel. The sound was loud enough to be heard by all occupants of vehicle during driving. The dealership attempted to fix the problem by replacing the driveshaft twice and lubricating the steering mechanism. The knocking sound continued to this day. The integrity of the steering mechanism was in doubt due to the vibrations and loud sounds every time the steering wheel was turned.

- Santa Clara, CA, USA

Apr 282006

Rendezvous 6-cyl

2005 Buick Rendezvous rolled from park with keys out of the ignition injuring consumers wife. The consumer had other problems with the vehicle such as the power steering becoming hard. The dealer replaced the pump and the power steering rack. The ABS, and brake light illuminated, then the AWD disable light came on. The gas gauge fluctuated as well. The vehicle pulled to the left. The dealer readjusted the camber, caster and rear tow.

- Youngsville, NY, USA

Aug 072006

: the contact stated while turning the steering wheel in either direction at various speeds there was a loud whining noise. The vehicle was seen by the dealer on three separate occasions. Once the dealer replaced the steering column however the problem persisted.

- Newton, KS, USA