2013 Buick Verano steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Buick Verano:

2013 Buick Verano Owner Comments

Jul 012016

My car has only 55, 148 miles and the power steering module has gone out already. I have had my car for only 3 years and I have already had problems with the transmission and now the power steering. I am not sure how much it will cost to get it repair. My car locked up as I was driving it. I looked down and saw my dashboard flashing saying that the power steering needed to be service. I could not turn the car at first. All I could do is just go straight. Then all of a sudden I was able to turn the car, but it was very hard.

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 072014

Steering)- the steering wheel seems to "stick" at speeds from 40 mph and upwards to 80 mph. Steering seems to have fluid, non-catching motion while driving short distances, however, after driving long distances, or more often than usual throughout the day, the wheel seems to stick, and takes more effort than usual to steer in the intended direction. Vehicle stays straight for awhile, but veers off like normal, but to steer vehicle to remain in lane is when the sticking occurs mostly. Issue may intertwine with next incident involving the front right axle seal. Other)- 5/19/2014, mileage 25727 - took vehicle to a dealership who stated that the front passenger axle seal is leaking and recommended taking to nearest GM dealership for warranty repair. GM dealership stated that the axle seal wasn't leaking, but was just "wet." Returned to first dealership a few months later who stated the same axle seal leaking issue, GM dealership stated the axle seal was wet. I fear that the failure to acknowledge, and repair, the leaking axle seal could be a result of the steering wheel sticking. Failure to repair could also lead to part malfunction/failure which could lead to vehicle crashing. Engine) - engine seems to always run loud, like the fan is on high for climate control, even when climate control is off. GM dealership stated it was a fan to cool the engine down, and runs when car is driven for a long period of time. I hear it all the time, and the vehicle seems to be hotter than what would be expected to be coming from that area. Uncomfortable heat is how I would describe it. Engine always runs loud currently at 48,000 miles, regardless of driving period. Fire danger could be a risk.

- Kendallville, IN, USA

Dec 282014

I was driving through a construction zone when my steering wheel locked up. It surprised me and caused me panic somewhat. The lane was very narrow and started to turn, but my steering wheel did not respond the way it should. It took a lot of effort to turn the wheels. The car got too close to the cement guardrails and collided with them on the passenger side up by the front wheel. The car has damage at the site of impact and now the stabilitrac system has a fail light on. Also, the car shakes when driven, and there is a general loss of control when steering now.

- Madison, IN, USA

Dec 092013

The contact owns a 2013 Buick Verano. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph, the steering wheel seized. The contact mentioned that the failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who diagnosed that the front rotor needed to be resurfaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 47,000.

- Mizpean, NJ, USA

Jul 132013

Verano 4-cyl

This car has always had a rubbing or grinding sensation just after making a turn, at low speeds. It is subtle but definitely there. The dealer discounted my claim during the first service visit and said that it is normal. I don't know if this is associated with the steering issues that I have at higher speeds or not. This issue only happens just after making hard turns such as 90 degree turns from street to street. It does not occur when making curves.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Mar 292014

Verano 4-cyl

This car has steering issues during highway driving. The steering gets very stiff and appears to get stuck when the wheels are in one position for very long such as on the highway. This has happened a multitude of times since I purchased this vehicle last July. In the beginning, I assumed it was because the car was new but it's taking more and more effort to adjust the steering during highway travel. This is a concern because one day it could lead to over adjustment and maybe a wreck at higher speeds. Driving in the city where I live is not a problem, as that I make frequent turns and the steering does not have time to lock up.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Nov 012013

Verano 4-cyl

Steering wheel sticks and seems to only happen at higher speeds. Have noticed only when car steering is in one still position for 4-5 seconds and then have to readjust steering course or turn. You have to use an abnormal amount of force to get steering wheel to move. Conern is for over adjustment. This happens on a regular basis now. May occur at lower speeds but is not noticed as I drive in the city more often so am frequently turning and adjusting course. There is one other report on here to date about same problem.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Mar 092014

Verano 4-cyl

After approx 30 mins of driving at highway speeds, steering "binds" causes driver to use extra force to turn the wheel, then steering frees up. This causes an over-steer situation. I am seeing identical complaints on other sites such as Been to the dealer 3 times and dealer says there is no issue when indeed there is a very dangerous issue as confirmed by others complaining about their vehicles. Seems to be an electric steering assist issue.

- Grove City, OH, USA