2004 Cadillac CTS brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Cadillac CTS:

2004 Cadillac CTS Owner Comments

Jan 052015

CTS

The contact owns a 2004 Cadillac Cts. While driving 5 mph and depressing the brake pedal, the vehicle failed to stop. In addition, while the vehicle was in reverse, the failure recurred numerous times. The dealer replaced the brakes, but the failure recurred. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V225000 (service brakes, hydraulic). The manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 101,000.

- Thousand Oak, CA, USA

May 012016

CTS

When turning at a low rate of speed the breaking system completely fails. This nearly caused my entire family to end up in the middle of a very busy highway. Thankfully we were traveling slow and the emergency break worked. We immediately got home and checked fluid as was well. Reading through online complaints there are many people complaining of the exact same thing. I am truly worried this could get someone killed. At the time the breaks failed they stuttered a bit and the break light on the dash came on as well as a tone or alert in the car. Please take this seriously before someone gets killed. This just started happening suddenly out of the blue. My daughter had told me her breaks did something strange when backing out of the driveway one morning. Then the next day she said it did it again going forward she almost hit the car in front of her. I had her take me for a drive so I could see for myself and I was terrified when it happened.

- Victorville, CA, USA

Dec 242015

CTS

The contact owns a 2004 Cadillac Cts. While driving and attempting to park the vehicle, the brakes failed to stop the vehicle when the brake pedal was depressed. The contact had to apply extreme pressure to the brake pedal in order to stop. The contact also stated that the liftgate struck the contact in the head several times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the failure could not be diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The failure mileage was approximately 110,000.

- Apache Junction, AZ, USA

Oct 292015

CTS

When at slow speeds when parking and turning here kind of grinding and car not wanting to stop, generally when pulling into or out of a parking spot, or coming to any slow stop. Always at a low speed. Spoke with dealership service managers who have no knowledge of this problem, although it is documented close to 100 times on this and other web sites: Townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.F0F480A/29 please check these posts since so many others have experienced this problem which (as stated in one of the posts) very well could be a failure in the design or workmanship in some of the wiring harnesses connecting the ebcm to the speed sensors that causes the brakes to fail. When pulling into a parking spot(almost stopped) there is a grinding sound, a vibrating brake peddle and the car doesn't want to stop. This appears to be an intermittent problem that is only happening on right turns and very slow speeds.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Sep 162015

CTS

Pulling out from my driveway in slow speed about 3 mph on reverse turning steering wheel left my radio show message "service brake assistance". same time I lost the brake, traction control and ABS light come on on the dashboard. Lucky this was low speed so car stops on my neighbor trash can. I don't want to think what will happen if the other car will drive by or someone will walk by. I am scare to drive now.

- Saint Petersburg, FL, USA

Nov 222014

CTS 8-cyl

Shortly after a routine oil change, I was driving at highway speed in Suburban minneapolis. When applying the brake to exit the interstate, there was little change in speed and the driver information center displayed braking and stability system errors. I was able to slowly drive back to the dealership I purchased the vehicle at where it was determined the passenger side front brake hose had corroded and ruptured, resulting in the braking failure. I noticed the trim level of my vehicle was not included in a 2010 recall, however the same condition seems to exist in the V-series Cts. Only one brake line was replaced, leading me to be concerned about the safety of the vehicle in its current state.

- Rochester, MN, USA

Oct 202014

CTS

The contact owns a 2004 Cadillac Cts. While driving 30 mph, the vehicle failed to stop when the brake pedal was applied. The contact mentioned that the brake pedal traveled to the floorboard. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 77,000.

- Virginia, VA, USA

Oct 112014

CTS 8-cyl

I observed a large puddle of brake fluid around the front left tire. Upon removal of the wheel, I discovered a large brake fluid leak at the interface between the hard brake line going to caliper and the flexible line that goes to the body of the car. During removal, the interface completely failed. This is exactly the failure that was involved in recall: Report receipt date: Mar 17, 2010 NHTSA campaign number: 10V105000 component(s): Service brakes, hydraulic yet for some reason, this recall was limited to vehicles sold and registered in a certain number of states. This brake line obviously is failing on vehicles registered in other states. The part on my car was within several cycles of complete failure, which would have meant loss of braking and a crash. I have retained the failed part and can provide photos or make it available for analysis.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Sep 272014

CTS 6-cyl

Noticed puddle on garage floor so moved car out on driveway and found that it was oil on floor. Went back to car and there was a wet spot behind wheel on drivers side. Moved car back and it was oil. Made decision to go to closest place to have problem checked that I trusted and went to big O tire. By the time I got there brake was going all the way to floor to stop car. The checked and said the rubber brake lines needed to be replaced and they replaced them. Looked up what happened on internet and saw there was a recall for this very problem but, only for states with heave winters. I live in Kentucky and there was not recall for my area. I listed speed above at 10 this is what speed I drove after finding problem.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Apr 012013

CTS 6-cyl

As I make sharp turns while on my brakes, my car makes a noise near the tire area and does not stop and then ABS indicator and the traction control indicator lights come on. It usually occurs when I am trying to turn into spaces going 1-2 mph. The only way to stop the car is to get off of the brakes and then press them again several times or to hit an object. I have taken the car to the Cadillac dealership in my area and they cannot determine the problem. I have also taken the car to several mechanics that specialize in brakes and have been told that the brakes themselves are fine. Since this problem has started, I have hit a trash can and several curbs. I have tried to get the vehicle fixed, but no mechanic, including Cadillac GM mechanics seem to know what's wrong. Fortunately, I have not hit any person or any person's property due to this faulty braking system. I have researched and found that other Cadillac owners are having similar problems, but cannot find a fix.

- Little Rock, AR, USA

Aug 212014

CTS 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Cadillac Cts. When the contact turned the ignition switch, the traction control and brake warning indicators illuminated. The failure occurred numerous times. The dealer stated that brake fluid leaked into the computer, but the exact cause of the failure was unable to be diagnosed. The vehicle was repaired and the manufacturer was notified about the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 122,000. Updated 11/26/14 updated 10/5/2015

- Dixon , CA, USA

May 302014

CTS 6-cyl

The transmission cooler lines blew out of the radiator. The transmission fluid was blowing out all over the engine compartment front tires, front brakes, and onto the road. I saw on some forums, where they stated that this was a common problem for the Cadillac Cts. And I wasn't sure if anyone else had filed a complaint. It definitely was not a safe situation to be in. To be honest, I have owned/driven a number of cars, starting from a 1950 Chevy. I can't believe that the cooler lines blowing out of the radiator is now a problem. None of my previous vehicles had this problem and they were definitely not in any kind of pristine condition.

- Vandalia, OH, USA

Jan 012011

CTS

If you turn to the right at a slow speed to stop or park the brakes gives out. The wipers start and stop at times in the off position.

- Tampa , FL, USA

May 172014

CTS

While making a left turn into driveway brake pedal pulsated the service brake assist indicator came on the traction control and ABS lights also came on, the car would not stop right then.

- Jackson, TN, USA

Dec 012008

CTS 6-cyl

Hi ever since I purchased the car when driving at very slow speeds and turning the vehicle the brakes lock up and stop working. When pulling into and out of parking spots or driveways the car makes a loud noise and shakes a little like if the brakes are trying to work but don't. this only has happened about 2-3 times per year since I had the car and since then had many parts replaced but it always seems to come back. I did searches on the computer and found many others with the same problem and read that one dealer replaced a wiring harness and solved the problem where most dealerships have no idea how to fix this issue and many people just replacing parts after part with the same issue coming back. This to me is a very important safety issue since during those times you can not stop the car and is not a safe situation. I also seen people making reports to this website and figured I would do the same since it needs to be addressed and its many people with the same issue. Thank you for your time.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Sep 132012

CTS 6-cyl

Multiple, arbitrary incidences of the brakes shaking, kind of grinding and car not wanting to stop, generally when pulling into or out of a parking spot, or coming to any slow stop. Always at a low speed. Spoke with two GM dealership service managers who have no knowledge of this problem, although it is documented close to 100 times on this and other web sites: townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.F0F480A/29 please check these posts since so many others have experienced this problem which (as stated in one of the posts) very well could be a failure in the design or workmanship in some of the wiring harnesses connecting the ebcm to the speed sensors that causes the brakes to fail. Whatever the cause, one would not expect any brake trouble on a vehicle with only 21,000 miles. This is a deadly flaw and I expect GM should own up to it, educate dealers and owners and fix the problem. Thank you. I look forward to your response.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Aug 012012

CTS 6-cyl

When pulling into a parking spot(almost stopped) there is a grinding sound, a vibrating brake peddle and the car doesn't want to stop. This appears to be an intermittent problem that is only happening on right turns and very slow speeds. There are several discussions on line about this type of problem and Cadillac dealers being unable or unwilling to diagnose the true problem. townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.F0F480A/50. I am going to look into the wire harness issue discussed online myself.

- Concord , CA, USA

Jul 072012

CTS 6-cyl

This vehicle has an intermittent problem with the brakes, when turning to the right or left like when parking in a driveway or a parking spot, the brake pedal looses pressure and starting kind of shaking like when the ABS system engages and the car can't be stopped unless the brake pedal is released and applied very hard again so I can stop the car, it could happen at any given moment, I have asked several GM dealers and nobody is sure what the problem is, they are all guessing and can't guarantee to refund a diagnostic fee to troubleshoot the problem, some have said it is maybe the ABS module, the master cylinder, a kinked hose, etc. I went to several forums on line and there are several people complaining with the same issue and nobody has had any acceptable answer from GM or any dealer, they all stated that the were not able to duplicate the problem so that they could not refund the diagnostic fee, I am very concerned about this problem since I feel I am playing a russian roulette with my vehicle, I don't want to get in the situation where somebody can be seriously hurt or killed, I don't want to sell this vehicle either without telling the new owner about this problem and get him into a very serious problem, so I am writing to you to please provide me with some advise to address this extremely serious problem. I don't drive this vehicle very often since the brake problem has happened to me several times and I don't want to gamble with my life or anybody's. thank you.

- Monterey Park, CA, USA