2005 Cadillac CTS electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Cadillac CTS:

2005 Cadillac CTS Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 112016

CTS

The contact owns a 2005 Cadillac Cts. The contact stated that the key would not turn over to start the vehicle. The vehicle stalled several times without warning, including while driving over a railroad track. The contact received assistance from a passerby to push the vehicle over the railroad tracks. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that there was a wire that fractured. The wire, ignition switch release, and ECM harness were replaced. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V394000 (electrical system). The manufacturer provided no solution. The approximate failure mileage was 160,000. Updated 10/18/16

- Edenton, NC, USA

Aug 012016

CTS

I cannot unlock the ignition system to remove the key, I believe there is a recall on this model to replace the ignition switch. So what should I do?

- Abbeville, SC, USA

Mar 152015

CTS

Takata recall-not notified of airbag recall. Recall withdrawn December 2014. March of 2015 my passenger airbag light came on. Took to my certified GM mechanic, checked it out and sent me to chuck fairbanks (dealer) because of recall. This is when I was told the recall had been withdrawn. I have been searching for help with this dangerous matter since. I need more information on who and what to do regarding getting the services needed. It is no longer a safe car for me to have a passenger with me. I did call Cadillac customer service and they said they could do nothing about it. I am not financially able to make this repair, retired, elderly and on ss. Can you please advise me where and what to do next? I have owned Cadillac since 1985 and never encountered not being notified of recalls. Please notify me of any assistance you may be able to advise me of at P. O. box 220, red oak, tx 75154. I have trouble with my E-mail and at&T has screwed up my telephones. This is important to me and I want to be sure I receive your response. I am not very computer savy and my computer is quite old. Thank you for any assistance you can give me.

- Red Oak, TX, USA

Mar 252014

CTS

Vehicle was stationary used key to unlock doors. Once vehicle was started a message displayed on the screen to "service theft system" and guages in vehicle no longer worked. I was at a store when this happened so I preceed with my trip as I started driving car was hesitating to drive, I then pulled over and turned the car off... key was stuck in ignition and car would no longer start...

- Newport News, VA, USA

Aug 262015

CTS

The ignition is having a break down.the key keeps geting stuck in the ignition, when the key does finally come out of the ignition, as I go to put the key back into the ignition to start the car the key gets stuck at one position in the ignition and will not respond to start the car.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 042014

CTS

The contact owns a 2005 Cadillac Cts. The contact stated that the vehicle jerked backward and would not accelerate. The contact shut off the vehicle and once restarted, the failure recurred. The vehicle was towed to a repair shop where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. Additionally, the contact stated that the key would become stuck in the ignition switch or would be difficult to remove. The power windows also failed and would open and close independently, as well as the radio becoming inoperable. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer, who diagnosed that the transmission and the ignition switch needed to be replaced. The ignition switch was replaced but not the transmission. The contact later discovered that the vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign id number: 14V394000 (electrical system) the manufacturer was notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 119,000.

- Portsmouth, VA, USA

Mar 152014

CTS

The contact owns a 2005 Cadillac Cts. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start and only started after numerous attempts. The failure was not diagnosed nor was the vehicle repaired. The contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V394000 (electrical system); however, the part was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 149,497.

- Monticello, GA, USA

Oct 092014

CTS

The contact owns a 2005 Cadillac Cts. The contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V394000 (electrical system). However, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Grayson , GA, USA

Sep 012014

CTS 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Cadillac Cts. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V394000 (electrical system); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified. The contact had not experienced a failure. Updated 11/21/14 updated 8/13/2015

- Chesterfield, VA, USA

Sep 122014

CTS

The contact owns a 2005 Cadillac Cts. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V394000 (electrical system); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Sep 222014

CTS

The contact owns a 2005 Cadillac Cts. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V394000 (electrical system); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Sep 192014

CTS

The contact owns a 2005 Cadillac Cts. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V394000 (electrical system); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Clarkesville, GA, USA

Nov 242013

CTS 6-cyl

The engine light flashes on for 2 seconds, then the car decelerates for seconds, and then all is okay. This may happen several times in a row within 5 to 10 minutes. We first had the battery and alternator replaced, as suggested. Then this happened 4 more times, whereas we took it to a dealer who could not find anything wrong. It's hard to feel safe while driving this vehicle as it's happened at major intersections and also in heavy traffic.

- West Deptford, NJ, USA

Sep 022013

CTS 6-cyl

The instrument panel stopped operating, different mechanics could not locate problem, Cadillac deal wanted $200 just to review. Several owners of same mocel having same problem. Dealears refuse to correct or even look at the cause without customers paying for service call. This seems to be a common problem with this car, as others having same problem. I have been told it's faulty electrical cluster in instrument panel and car is now out of warrenty, but was withing warranty at time of occurance, I failed to take to dealer in timely manner. Can anything be do ne about this. I now have 87,000 miles on car.

- Brea, CA, USA

Oct 212013

CTS

The contact owns a 2005 Cadillac Cts. The contact stated that the lights on the instrumental panel became abnormally dark, the fuel gauge failed to read the fuel level and the key could not be released from the ignition. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who inspected the vehicle and advised the contact that the security system failed and could possibly cause the vehicle to stall. The manufacturer was also contacted and advised that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number 06V020000 (fuel system, gasoline) the vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 48,392.

- Princeton, NC, USA

Apr 122010

CTS

4/12/2010 - I was slowing down preparing to turn into my development when another driver ran a stop sign. The other driver was going approximately 20 mph, she stated that she did not see my car, but saw the oncoming cars and the cars behind me so she didn't prepare to stop at the stop sign. She was trying to beat the oncoming vehicles and the traffic behind me aggressively accelerating and impact was my driver's side front door. We both had our seat belts on, her air bags deployed, mine did not. Her car was totaled. The impact was just like a wrecking ball coming out of nowhere. The impact was so that my struts had to be replaced. I had sustained traumatic brain injury (tbi) and I'm still recovering, that is why it's taken this long to submit a complaint. My car was towed to the Cadillac body shop for the body work and tutwiler was to take care of the mechanical issues. When I picked up my car at tutwiler Cadillac they would not provide me any of the paperwork for the repairs or anything in writing as to why the air bags did not deploy, I was told that the itemized receipt would go to her insurance company since they were paying for the work to be done. The chiropractor bill was in excess of $7,000 and my medical (still recovering) but has exceeded well over $40,000. The electrical issues, bad radio, carpet, bell housing leak, exhaust system, gas gauge should have all been repaired under warranty when I took the car in on 1/5/2009 while the car was still under warranty. I was not aware of the air bag issue not deploying unfortunately until the accident in April of 2010.

- Carmel, IN, USA

Apr 302010

CTS 6-cyl

2005 Cadillac Cts. Letter sent from an attorney on behalf of the consumers in reference to an accident relating to a potential defect in vehicle while driving, the vehicle began to smoke. When the consumer opened the hood he suffered serious burns which left him permanently disfigured. The vehicle was totaled.

- New Castle, DE, USA

May 012005

CTS 6-cyl

2005 Cts fuel gauge went out and there was an electrical problem in which the car would barely run. ***** after filling the tank, the gauge failed to register. The fuel gauge failed three times. The #1 coil was replaced, because the vehicle was running rough.

- Kankakee, IL, USA

Aug 262005

CTS 6-cyl

On Aug. 26, 2005 our three month old Cadillac Cts's transmission would not shift out of first gear after going through a busy toll booth. Car had to be towed to dealer for 8 day repair of computer and replacement of transmission. Few days later car had to go back to dealer due to transmission not shifting properly, out of commission for days again. After picking vehicle up, car would not start in garage and had to be towed to dealership again, picked up car a couple of days later, next day would not start again and had to be towed. At dealership for 6 more days. When picked up dealership refused to give us a service ticket showing the problem and what they did. Service manager stated that he would not give us "ammunition" to give to a lemon law attorney. Dealership tried to lay entire blame on the car's aftermarket sirius radio addition which had been in place and worked perfectly since car was new.

- Clermont, FL, USA

Nov 082004

CTS

The dashboard lights keep coming on and going off by itself. The consumer previously had work performed on the electrical system for the radio.

- Fairfield, CA, USA