2008 Cadillac CTS engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Cadillac CTS:

2008 Cadillac CTS Owner Comments

Mar 042016

I brought a 2008 Cadillac back in Sept. 2014. April of 2015 I had a crankshaft sensor went out on me three times all three times I took it in to roth Cadillac of erie pa and I also contact Cadillac headquarters at the same time. I pay all three times. They fixed the sensor and repaired the wiring harness all three times. It seems like every 3-6 months it would break down. We were told by the mechanic at roth Cadillac that they got a memo about this problem. But wasn't going to do a recall on it.

- Union City, PA, USA

Nov 062014

I was driving in a parking garage so my speed was about 5-10mph when the whole system shut down. The car stopped moving and all of the system warnings popped off (ABS, stabiltrack, engine). The car would not turn back on. I had it towed to the shop where I was told that it was an electrical problem. The PCM was replaced and I was told that the problem was fixed. Cost was approx $200. After the original system shut down, I was driving on an exit ramp to the interstate when once again the whole system shut down. All of the system warnings popped up and the car would not turn back on. The car was towed once again to the dealership where I was told that it wasn't the PCM and that they would have to charge me $265 to investigate the problem. The problem was said to be the electrical wiring on the drivers side from the front of the car to the back of the car. It was fixed for approx $800. Each of the system shut downs happened within 6 months of each other while operating the vehicle. This is very dangerous and makes me feel very unsafe about operating the vehicle. This needs to be investigated for the safety of drivers.

- Norwood , PA, USA

Feb 072015

The contact owns a 2008 Cadillac Cts. The contact stated that while driving at 60 mph, there was an abnormal noise coming from the front and rear of the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Norfolk , VA, USA

Dec 022014

The contact owns a 2008 Cadillac Cts. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 70 mph, the traction control warning light illuminated. The vehicle started to slow down independently and stalled. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure was unable to be diagnosed, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was then towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the throttle control sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- San Marcos, CA, USA

Aug 012014

CTS 6-cyl

Car w/ 95,000 miles. Problems at 15,000 miles. Airbag sensors faulty. "ECM" (engine control module) replaced but no issues with how the car was running. Told by the dealership "alot" of ECM's are replaced. Is ECM failure common in this vehicle or is it the dealership replacing ECM's that do not need repair to make money" ECM was a $1,000 repair to fix a gas smell from the car. New ECM and gas smell is still there. Then told now faulty fuel pump and leak in the fuel line as reason for gas smell. Both dealer and GM have refused refund for replacing ECM that did not have to be replaced. Replacing ECM did not fix the gas smell! prior to "ECM " all six of the oxygen sensors also replaced. Another costly repair. I have pampered this vehicle since I have purchased it from factory. Very suspicious so many issues needing repair have occurred with this car. Now, ignition switch is being recalled and will need repair. I am left driving my family around in a potentially dangerous car. Will my family be the next victim of a faulty GM ignition switch? also the door locks in the rear of the car are faulty ever since I have had the car. The rear door locks jam and the doors won't open from the outside. The dealer in the first three months replaced one rear door lock mechanism. Before I realized my warranty expired the other rear door lock also had the same problem. GM refuses to fix it. Now an expense of > $400. Having an infant who rides in the back this is concerning that rear door lock jams. Repairs on this 2008 Cadillac Cts are endless and should not have to be so numerous considering I have been the single owner of this vehicle and have kept the vehicle very well maintained. I would like to know if other owners of this make and model of vehicle have had similar problems? is there a manufacturing issue?"

- Rockledge, FL, USA

Apr 182014

CTS 6-cyl

First incident: When driving, engine would loose power, engine light on, fuel pump replaced second incident: Two weeks later, driving car and engine shuts down, no power, no brakes, no power steering, gas mileage to empty was at 68 miles. Replaced fuel gauges third incident: One week after replaced fuel gauge, engine shut down while driving, no brakes, no power steering, and gas mileage read out was 69 miles. Fortunately, we were at a standstill in the middle of the road and the car restarted, went to gas station, filled the car with gas, it took 14.7 gallons, the Cts gas capacity is 18 gallons. Dealer doesn't know what the problem is. Just waiting for a solution. This is a major safety concern that needs immediate attention.

- Dexter, MI, USA

Aug 122012

CTS 6-cyl

Although I loved the car overall at the time I decided to own, , my dream car Cadillac Cts has turned into my dream nightmare. Cadillac Cts 3.6 2008 when I get on it a little bit acceleration it makes a sound that sounds like all air leaks inside the car. The dealer was reported ever since my first early visit to service center but it's only during my last visit to the dealer they mentioned GM has sanctioned approval ie. At the time the odometer reads 65000km" strange! the door locks are terrible?despite rectifying; time and again by your dealer the problem still persist to date. Safety hazard indeed. The computer had error as for tyre low air pressure very bad on safety standards. On 12th Aug 2012 while I was en-route to the Cadillac service center the vehicle had a break down. On the display screen near odometer it displayed engine temperature too high ?. due to this I had to pull the car towards safety and got stranded in the middle of the road under the hot sun. How can you justify a car which is regularly maintained by your authorized Agency at regular periodic intervals to have such a fate" I felt it was good to have it serviced during my absence in town before the regular km interval; but, only to get stranded on the road in the hot sun. It is indeed, too much to suffer after buying a car of GM flagship brand < Cadillac > and suffer agony on the road side. Not to mention the dealerships warranty you provide with the purchase of the new car from your authorized agents, probably don't fix anything with the warranty service program. If the job was right then the engine should not have over heated especially when the car is just run 71000 kms. Approx...

- Abu Dhabi, Uae, CA, USA